when do kittens stop playing in their litterboxes?

amitya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Peanut Butter is almost 13 weeks old-- He still plays in his litter box to the point that I am sweeping up litter 3-4 times per day-- His litter box is clean but he just gets in there and throws litter out-- I had to get him a covered box-- Thinking seriously about getting a clevercat box really soon to contain the mess. Even when i am in the process of scooping and changing litter he will stand in the box and scratch litter out. Its soo aggravating-- I know that playing in the box is normal but when will he grow out of this? Thanks!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he using the litter everytime he goes in or just going to play?

You will always have litter on the floor as the cat digs to cover his waste, I have tried various sizes of litter pans but Mister is big on digging so I just sweep it up when needed, no big deal.

I am supervised (by cats) everytime I scoop the boxes and they jump in when I'm done and scratch around to remark the territory.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amitya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes he just gets in there to play. Usually when he has to use the litter box ( elimination) he just goes potty and gets out of the box. PB will stand in the litter box front opening with his back paws on the ledge and DIG the litter out onto the floor like a dog would digging in the yard. Its crazy. Think im just gonna get a clevercat box i guess.

duke816

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you find out, please let me know, because Smokie's 1 year old now and still stands in the box and scratches litter everywhere. I went and got her a covered box and it really, really helped. But she will stand in there after she's done with her business and scratch at the walls for a few minutes. I have no idea why she does it. It sort of amuses me now, because I don't have the mess everywhere anymore!

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Buffy's 2 years old and still plays in the litterbox. She doesn't do it as much as she used to, but when she gets a case of the zoomies when she's downstairs, one of the litterboxes will most likely fall victim.