When do kittens sound less like kittens and more like cats?

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just curious. My cats make baby squeaks 99.9% of the time. The only time I've heard them "meow" is when they were unhappy to be getting a bath.

At what age do they start to sound like a cat?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My youngest is over a year old and still makes tiny squeaks for mews.
Even when she joins the frantic 'feed me' chorus with my other two, she sounds like a mewling kitten, and that's her loudest.
Some cats just don't get big voices.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, my 2 year old girl still squeals like a kitten- I think it depends on the cat...

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
my two both have "im a grown up now" meow but time to time if theres a fly in they squeak/ cry like kittens they are just over 8months old

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As the OPs have said, some cats never have more than a squeak.... give 'em a few more months. They are still very much babies.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually by 6 months they will have their adult voices. Some cats will sound like a little kitten all their lives. Charlie has a deeper and louder voice. Jack sounds like a baby kitten - he's 7 months old now. Will be funny as heck when he's about 12 lbs with a baby kitten voice coming out of a big boy's body!

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My outdoor boy, Gus...big tough guy, has the sweetest little kitten meow you've ever heard. So some don't change too much I guess.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are late learners...

We have an eight year old squeaker who just learned to meow.

I attribute it to the fact that my Dad's getting very hard of hearing, and she's figured out that to get what she wants she needs to be heard.

Aya who had no voice other than kitten chirps. Came back from the Vet's after her spay talking cat all of a sudden.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Disa weighs 10-11 pounds and is 2 years old and still has his 'kitten' voice.

Even when my roommate trod his tail (accidentally, of course) he just mewed at her a bit until she moved. His meows are typically silent.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

Just curious. My cats make baby squeaks 99.9% of the time. The only time I've heard them "meow" is when they were unhappy to be getting a bath.

At what age do they start to sound like a cat?
sometimes never - Java still has a very 'kitten-like' mew [not meow - she only has 1 syllable]. Cable still kinda 'squeaks' most of the time, altho the squeak has deepened somewhat in tone w/age.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Are you sure you got the right cat after spaying?????
Hmmm... I'd wonder but her attitude and distinctive mi-ke markings were all in place...

We were wondering if maybe she got to see and or hear other cats while she was at the Vet's (they kept her overnight) and picked up their language. She's been alone with me since 3-4w/o cause she was found in the middle of the street so maybe she never learned to speak cat.

Either that or she figured she'd better learn how to complain about cat torture before i do something nasty to her again.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 13 pound almost 7 year old boy has a very soft chirp, most of the time, and he was actually pretty silent for a few months after I adopted him at 4 years of age - but then I think he figured out I responded to his more vocal 'sister', and then he started chatting more. My girl is only 6 pounds but she can meow up a storm and loudly as well - but she knows a tiny little sad meow at 2:00 in the morning is guaranteed to get me up, when I try ignoring the loud meow from the front room.

They never seem to make noises at each other (other than the hiss once in a while), but they both try to 'talk' to me - and I talk back!