When do kittens leave the nest

Nmarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mama cat had her babies in a dresser drawer. The kittens are 2 weeks old now. They are very active and I feel like the dresser is too small for them. When can I move the kittens to a bigger space, or at least take them out to explore and excersise a little? And what kind of space should it be?
Mama cat and babies have the whole bedroom to themselves. Should I put sheets and blankets around the whole floor and wait for mama to move them herself? Should a get a big box/play pen and let them explore around that?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I've read that some people have gotten playpens for the babies. Can you lift out the dresser drawer and put it, with everyone still inside, on the floor right in front of the dresser (so mama doesn't become overly concerned about a too-big change of "location"?) Then you can watch to see what mama does in the next few hours/day or so.

This might help a little bit;
How Old Is My Kitten? [An Illustrated Guide] – TheCatSite Articles

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They'll be fairly mobile in another week or so. For now, sure, you can try to move them to a larger box; if the mom doesn't like it she'll move them somewhere else. Or just set up a nice large box with clean and comfy bedding and see if she moves them herself.

You can take them out to explore any time, as long as the mama isn't having a fit about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nmarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They'll be fairly mobile in another week or so. For now, sure, you can try to move them to a larger box; if the mom doesn't like it she'll move them somewhere else. Or just set up a nice large box with clean and comfy bedding and see if she moves them herself.

You can take them out to explore any time, as long as the mama isn't having a fit about it.
Thank you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nmarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise