When do i move on to the next step of the intro process?

saharahoshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have had New Cat (NC) for about a month now. We had to restart the intro orocess a couple of weeks ago (about 2?) because NC made a jailbreak from cat Basecamp two times and got into it with our Resident Kitty (RC) Fur flew we separated the two ASAP it was unfortunate both times, we have since fixed the situation.

NC is one years old neutered male and RC is 9. We scent swap/switch rooms every day, feed them across from each other, etc. Both cats are getting plenty of time/play due to wfh with COVID.

We are at a point where RC hisses a bit at the door but eats all her food and NC backs off/just eats his crunches when she chills. NC defin. Is getting antsy tho. Is it too early to let them see each other now that we have established begrudging tolerance?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about an intermediate step where you block the door with double stacked baby gates so they can see each other?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saharahoshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yeah I guess we are trying to figure out if it is baby gate time if that makes sense? The problem with a screen door or baby gate is we live in an apartment so we cannot physically put anything onto the walls or detach the door to install a screen door so I'm looking for something temporary =)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know that you need to do any drilling. Some other folks have some pictures, hopefully they can help with specifics. I don't think its a huge bump in stress provided there are no accidents, you just need to make sure its secure, and may need some guidance on the mechanics of it. If you aren't confident you can pull it off, need to go in and out of that room too often say, then I'd error on the side of waiting longer so that an escape is less likely to be a major issue.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are baby/pet gates that are tension/pressure mounted so no permanent attachment needed. A lot of them might not be tall enough if either cat is a climber, so you may still have to buy two to stack one on top of the other.

I suppose, if you are semi-handy, you could buy a couple of tension rods and affix cat proof screening (like a pliable steel wire mesh) to them, which would enable you to make it as tall as you want. The screening could be affixed to the tension rods with zip ties.