When did you move in with your partner or spouse?

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long did you wait before you moved in with your partner /DH / SO / BF / GF!?

Just out of interest.....

My BF and I actually met when he came to look at a room which I had to rent in my shared house, he didn't take the room as he had feelings for me, and ironically we are now looking at moving in together!

what worked for you? How long did you wait? Do you wish you'd waited longer, or less time?

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
me and my partner moved intogether when we were 21 we lived toether for 2 and a half years but are now back at our parents which sucks, major money troubles after multiple redundancies

but if we had our time over we would still do it the way we did.

we are saving very hard to move back out

oh yeah we have been going out with each other since we were 18 so was about 3 years before we moved

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dana moved in with me after a month.
We just knew it was right from day one. We've been together over 2 years now and there isn't a doubt in either of our minds that it was very much the RIGHT decision.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We moved in together shortly after we started dating - so probably like a month?
We knew eachother for over a year and it was just right. We just celebrated our 5 year anniversary and are getting married in October
It always worked for us, we never had any problems living together right away

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
About a year from when we met. But we looked into at about 7 months in...it took a few months to get finances in order, etc. for us to both feel ready to move out of our parents' houses and then find a place. If one of us were already paying rent, it probably would have been quicker.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH & I dated on/off since 1994. We got engaged 2003 and moved in together almost a year later. It was more about finances that we waited that long. I think it was the perfect time. I have noticed too many people that waited till marriage and then couldn't stand to live with their loved one. I wanted to move in before we got married to work out the kinks.

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I met D in 2000 when I was eighteen, I was living at home, he was also still living at his parents' but I started spending the night there every night pretty soon. We just had to be together, it was like a force of nature.

We felt right away that this is it, this is forever and it doesn't get any better (nor does it need to). We got married in January when we were together for 10 years (and four days, because a wedding with a big party on a monday would be a bit impractical for our guests)

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jake moved in after about a month, though we had known each other casually about 4 months prior to that.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I voted for 6 months, but my situations were kind of strange.

The first guy I ever actually "lived with" (as in changing address and moving) I met online and he lived in Guam. I lived in Maryland. Regular dates weren't a possibility, internet dates just weren't cutting and phone bills were so expensive so I packed and moved. It lasted for 4 years and it was a liberating experience.

DH and I somehow started dating again when I moved back home a few months after my dad died and mom was diagnosed with cancer. I was taking care of her 24/7 and he was always there to help me in anyway he could. We went out years before and were good friends before and after that, so it was just kind of natural. He didn't have a lot of money so when mom was in her last months she slipped him $50 to take me out to dinner. I think she was trying to get us back together, sneaky girl. So, we went out, we went back to his house (which was close enough that our cordless phone worked from mom's house...yep, didn't have a cell phone) and I didn't leave. After that, things just started appearing at his house, and I was making him dinner and it was just natural. It wasn't a conscious agreement on our part, but it just was right. So, we're celebrating our five year anniversary this year, and I know mom had a hand in it.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH and I moved in a month after we started dating. BUT we were already planning on living together before we started dating, and then we realized we liked each other. We didn't see a reason not to live together. I know that could have not ended very well, but it actually worked for us. Next year will be our one year wedding anniversary and 4 1/2 years together.

Edit: Wow, lots of people moved in within a month! Funny.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Russ and I have been dating for about 9 months now and we have touched very lightly upon the subject of moving in together.

I am very independent and do not want to live with him right now and don't know if I ever will. I like being on my own and doing what I want when I want. Living with a man means you have someone to answer to and to cook for and share expenses, it's way too much like marriage and I don't ever want to be married again....NO WAY. Hopefully this won't cause a break-up because I am not changing my mind at this point.

Also I would have to move in with him since that would be the right choice since he owns two homes and I rent a mobile home. It just really scares me to live with someone again, I mean really scary. Spending weekends together is one thing and which we both enjoy but I know when the weekend is over I have my own place to go home to and I love that feeling, I love it when it's just me and Autumn.

Does anyone else feel like I do???

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I moved in with the hubby ~6 months after we started dating. It was "official" after 6 months at least, I had ended up showing up 6 weeks earlier and just never left

We lived with his parents at the time, which was rough for the 3.5 years while saving money to build a house. Got our home built in 2009 and moved in a few days before our 1st wedding anniversary. Living with his parents was VERY stressful, but in the end it worked out because we built a nice house!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I moved in with my husband after 2 years and 9 months. We were planning on moving in together about 8 months before that but my dad said he wouldn't pay my tuition or rent if I moved in with him and I couldn't afford it on my own.

The reason we waited so long was because we were young. We started dating when I was 15 (just about 16) and he was 16. I was 18 when we moved in together. When I was 19, we moved in with his parents and rented part of their house (they have a huge house) and we lived there for almost 4 years. We moved out and got our own apartment just before we got married last year.

daddycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
MommyCat and I had worked together for a few years before we started dating. I was effectively moved in sometime between the first and second month. I can't be more specific because we never really had a formal discussion or decision process -- I think she just got tired of saying 'good night' and I got tired of the long, late-night drives home. Soon after I proposed and we married a year later, here we are sixteen years later with a bunch of cats.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We moved in together right away after we decided to be a couple, but we had been friends for 7 years and even rented rooms in the same house twice before, so we knew what we were getting in to. We have had our ups and downs, but after 25 years, I am still glad to see him when I wake up in the morning.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After 3 days
I had a bedsit and he moved in with me, we have been together now 9 years and married 3 so it must have been a good decision
x

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We moved in together two weeks before out wedding because he lease was up, which was 3.5 years after we started dating.

I was living in our home for two months before that (my lease was up in August, his in October). We chose to NOT to live together before we got married, but we did live within walking distance of each others' apartments.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband and I knew each other for about a year before we started dating. He more or less moved in with me a few days after our first date (more or less because while he still had his own apartment, he rarely went there). We've been together for 22 years and married over 20 of those years. It was pretty obvious after our first date that we were going to be together until death do us part. He didn't like cats when he first met me but wouldn't admit it until after we were married and he cried like a baby when my old cat died from cancer 6 months later. He's a sucker for a fuzzy face but never realized it until I "influenced" him.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH and I moved in together after about a year and 9 months of dating. I was graduating college and was not doing the long distance thing any more, and we decided to move to NH. 2 years after that, we got engaged, and we've now been married almost 2 months and August 29th will be 6 years of being together
I wouldn't change anything; I loved living with him before getting married and knowing all his little quirks and such!

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
thats what i think is going to work out well for me and blaine coz we could of easily just split when we lost the flat but we havent we really enjoy living together we knew from day one that we were to be together,
we will get back on track