When Did Praziquantel Get so Expensive?

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both the OTC Bayer tablets and the prescription tablets have gone up so much in the last several years. Why are the prescription tablets $4.25+ per pill? I need at least 14 tablets. This is ridiculous. More importantly, does anyone know where I can find a better price? I'm thinking of getting the dog pills and splitting them. I'll check with the vet even though I know the dosages. Maybe she can at least give me a better price.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All I can say is "inflation". Prices of so many things have gone up over the years. With you needing so many pills, hopefully your Vet CAN give you a better price. Guessing you have already googled for best price.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What's weird is that some prices have stayed the same, some went way up, and some went down. But $4.25 for one pill? Ridiculous.

My grandma had to be on Xarelto (blood thinner) and there was no generic available. Her insurance paid for a lot, but each pill was basically $5.73 ($172 a month). A tapeworm pill that's been around for over 20 years is $4.25. Meanwhile, my generic Prilosec is $0.35 a pill. My mom just paid $13.99 (about $0.04 a tablet) for 365 tablets of generic Zyrtec at Costco.

Ok, just looked up the human version of Praziquantel and it's $43 per pill without insurance. :eek2:

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
not even kidding, the price of praziquantel went up in the US at least in part because of Martin Shkreli...

it’s one of the drugs he was considering buying the rights to (since in the US it’s only made by Bayer) and hiking the price. The sale fell through, but Bayer was so inspired by his idea that they just upped the price themselves.