When Choosing A Commercial Raw Food Diet ...

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"A good [raw food] company will have a specific proportion of each ingredient that will be the same in every batch. If they cannot tell you the percentage of meat/bone/organs and fat/protein/moisture, as well as vitamin and mineral content, they have not done the testing and do not know."

(Dr. Judy Morgan, DVM, is pro-raw, btw).

Are All Raw Food Diets Created Equal? | Dr. Judy Morgan DVM

There are a few commercial raw food companies who are not disclosing their bone percentages on their web sites or packaging (or even responding to email / phone inquiries from potential customers re: bone percentages).

Any company that is not being transparent with basic info such as the bone percentage of their raw food products is not worth supporting or recommending, imo, especially when there are raw food manufacturers who will not only give bone percentages, but calcium and or calcium / phos values as well.

ams827

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Agreed- I was giving my cat Stella & Chewy freeze dried raw diet for a while and she got constipated due to the high bone content/percentage (which is NOT advertised on the package). Took her off the raw diet after this incident.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed- I was giving my cat Stella & Chewy freeze dried raw diet for a while and she got constipated due to the high bone content/percentage (which is NOT advertised on the package). Took her off the raw diet after this incident.
Sorry to hear kitty was constipated. S&C is bone dense, when I contacted SC re: bone percentage I was told "10%", if that's accurate although 10% can be high for some cats.

If kitty is prone to constipation on commercial raw with bone, you could try a homemade raw diet with a recipe utilizing the appropriate supplements to make the meals nutritionally complete or a premix specifically for boneless raw meals.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good points! This is true for any commercial diet i think.
Yes, indeed. Dr. Pierson @ catinfo.org has a list of companies (for canned food) she doesn't recommend because they will not disclose their TNA -- typical nutrient analysis data claiming "proprietary knowledge."

ams827

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry to hear kitty was constipated. S&C is bone dense, when I contacted SC re: bone percentage I was told "10%", if that's accurate although 10% can be high for some cats.

If kitty is prone to constipation on commercial raw with bone, you could try a homemade raw diet with a recipe utilizing the appropriate supplements to make the meals nutritionally complete or a premix specifically for boneless raw meals.
Thanks for the tip! I'm pretty scared of changing her diet again after all that, but appreciate your advice!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about transparency. That said, given Dr. Morgan's plea for information, I find it a little odd that one of the companies she links to, with the words "good company," is Answers, whose web site only seems to include generic ingredient lists for three kind of cat food! Those generic ingredients sound fine but the site is confusing, with more pictures than information. All Provide does have much more.

I guess that makes me appreciate Primal's statistics all the more! And Northwest Naturals' all the more: they now have a chart with dry matter figures!! They have three new freeze-dried foods coming: based on the partial picture, one is obviously rabbit, it looks like another may be duck, and there's a third, mystery, meat. I love how simple their recipes are so will have to give the duck a try! :)

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about transparency. That said, given Dr. Morgan's plea for information, I find it a little odd that one of the companies she links to, with the words "good company," is Answers, whose web site only seems to include generic ingredient lists for three kind of cat food! Those generic ingredients sound fine but the site is confusing, with more pictures than information. All Provide does have much more.

I guess that makes me appreciate Primal's statistics all the more! And Northwest Naturals' all the more: they now have a chart with dry matter figures!! They have three new freeze-dried foods coming: based on the partial picture, one is obviously rabbit, it looks like another may be duck, and there's a third, mystery, meat. I love how simple their recipes are so will have to give the duck a try! :)
That's interesting re Answers, I'll take a look at the site later and get back to you.

Yes, definitely, to Primal and NN's credit, they do provide detailed nutrient analyses without requiring people to have to contact the companies to dig out that info.