When cats attack

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all. I came home yesterday morning and found fur and possibly pee on the floor. I have 8 cats and everyone is fixed and 2 are aggressors and 1.5 are the victims. The aggressors: Mochi and Bear are bottle baby siblings currently 4yo and Bobo is a foster fail currently 2yo. There was never any issues between these 3 before. Mochi and Bear would usually go after Luna (6yo) to the point Luna had her own room but she now is moving around the house. I recently lost my oldest Sunny (12yo) and I believe that’s what set off Mochi. They weren’t friends but maybe the loss changed the dynamics? Mochi doesn’t like other cats and refuses to eat with everyone. I’ll admit Mochi and Bear are spoiled lol. I’m considering the best way to deal with this. Bobo has started peeing in my mom’s plants and peeing on the floor in fear and territory. I can’t use sprays or defusers because I have birds (bad for their lungs). I’m thinking of calming collars for the 3 of them and possibly a reintroduction. Any thoughts? I’m desperate. Thank you.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dynamics change could very well be getting everyone upset, cats are very sensitive to moods around them. It could have been something outside, such as another cat coming around or someone pounding on the door too. You might try separating Bobo from them for a while, but with something like a gate, deer fencing across the door, etc, something they can still see/smell him with. You might have Bobo checked out for a UTI, urinary tract infection, or watch him for frequent peeing or tiny amounts. Calming collars wouldn't hurt, also make sure you have plenty of litterboxes, they can't guard them all! Get a good enzyme spray to remove the urine so they can't smell it. like Natures Miracle. I stopped my cats from peeing in the plants by placing large rocks on top of the dirt. It worked. Make sure all dirt is covered. If he goes to a certain place to pee, get some clear carpet protector with the little nubs and place it nub side up in those spots. it is easily moved. As a last resort, he will have to be placed in a smaller room until he uses the box consistently, which usually works. But once again with something across the door that the others can see him with. You don't want them forgetting him and thinking he is a stranger!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have anything to add to what di and bob di and bob posted, but did want to offer condolences on the loss of Sunny. :alright:
RIP sweetie. :angel:

Losing her certainly could have changed the dynamics for your feline family. Plus they could be picking up on you and your family's emotions.

As for Bobo peeing in your Mom's plants, litter box avoidance issues can arise from stress, and stress can cause UTI's, so if putting out additional litter boxes doesn't help, a vet visit is probably a good idea.

Back to the aggression and attacks, here's a TCS article that might be helpful:
Why Do Cats Attack? – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The dynamics change could very well be getting everyone upset, cats are very sensitive to moods around them. It could have been something outside, such as another cat coming around or someone pounding on the door too. You might try separating Bobo from them for a while, but with something like a gate, deer fencing across the door, etc, something they can still see/smell him with. You might have Bobo checked out for a UTI, urinary tract infection, or watch him for frequent peeing or tiny amounts. Calming collars wouldn't hurt, also make sure you have plenty of litterboxes, they can't guard them all! Get a good enzyme spray to remove the urine so they can't smell it. like Natures Miracle. I stopped my cats from peeing in the plants by placing large rocks on top of the dirt. It worked. Make sure all dirt is covered. If he goes to a certain place to pee, get some clear carpet protector with the little nubs and place it nub side up in those spots. it is easily moved. As a last resort, he will have to be placed in a smaller room until he uses the box consistently, which usually works. But once again with something across the door that the others can see him with. You don't want them forgetting him and thinking he is a stranger!
Thank you so much for your suggestions! Mochi and Bear just look at Bobo and Bobo just runs so I think she triggers their prey drive. Bear also makes the bird sound when he sees her.

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have anything to add to what di and bob di and bob posted, but did want to offer condolences on the loss of Sunny. :alright:
RIP sweetie. :angel:

Losing her certainly could have changed the dynamics for your feline family. Plus they could be picking up on you and your family's emotions.

As for Bobo peeing in your Mom's plants, litter box avoidance issues can arise from stress, and stress can cause UTI's, so if putting out additional litter boxes doesn't help, a vet visit is probably a good idea.

Back to the aggression and attacks, here's a TCS article that might be helpful:
Why Do Cats Attack? – TheCatSite Articles
Thank you so much. Sunny was the oldest and loved his cat girlfriend lol and wet food too.

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello. I wrote about this before, I'm still having issues. I read the article about why cats attack and I'm unsure about why Mochi (female 4yo) and Bear (male 4yo) are attacking Bobo (female 2yo). Mochi and Bear are siblings and everyone in the house is spayed and neutered. So I tried the advice given and want to explain a little more to see if anyone has any idea on what to do. Bobo doesn't have a UTI and is currently using her litter box. They started going after her after Sunny (12yo) passed. I originally tried putting Mochi and Bear in a room but Bear jumped up the door all night. Mochi and Bear used to go after Luna (female 6yo). So I put Luna and Bobo in a room together with gates and literally everyone got in including Mochi and Bear to seek out Bobo to go after her so the door is closed now until I find a solution. Luna and Bobo got along originally but now Bobo is going after Luna (I'm pretty sure it's pent up frustration). I believe Bobo sprays even though she's spayed and Bear humps Mochi sometimes so I don't know if that has anything to do with what's going on. I'm spending some time with Bobo and supervising the interactions going on. I pet Bobo and put her fur to Mochi's nose and no reaction but when Mochi saw Bobo, her fur went up, pupils dilated, and made an angry face. I bought calming collars but Mochi licked around her previous one and thinned out her fur. I'm at a loss here. Bobo enjoys people and her being locked away isn't fair. I think that if Mochi and Bear can see her but not get to her.

Last edited by a moderator:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry you're still dealing with aggression issues with your feline family. Sometimes there's no easy solution to solving aggression between cats, other than keeping them separated, and slowly trying to reintroduce them. You mention calming collars. There's also Feliway, which could possibly help. It's not cheap, though, and reviews are mixed. FELIWAY Shop

Here's a few more TCS articles that might be helpful:
The Multi-Cat Household – TheCatSite Articles
Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry you're still dealing with aggression issues with your feline family. Sometimes there's no easy solution to solving aggression between cats, other than keeping them separated, and slowly trying to reintroduce them. You mention calming collars. There's also Feliway, which could possibly help. It's not cheap, though, and reviews are mixed. FELIWAY Shop

Here's a few more TCS articles that might be helpful:
The Multi-Cat Household – TheCatSite Articles
Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles
Thank you. Unfortunately I can’t use Feliway because I have birds (bad for their respiratory systems). Thank you for the articles. I’m still researching and hopefully I can have everyone get along again.