When are you supposed to transition to mature food?

SAVANNALP

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!!! My cat is only 8 but I was just curious when a cat is considered mature and you need to switch to mature food. Should you switch at all?? What’s the benefit???

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!!! My cat is only 8 but I was just curious when a cat is considered mature and you need to switch to mature food. Should you switch at all?? What’s the benefit???
I think cats become seniors between 8-10 so now is a good time to start the transition.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's an interesting question, I'd like to know if there is any benefits to switching although my boy is only 4yrs so a while yet.
I have noticed with alot of dry food, it says senior age 7+ and this is also when pet insurer's class them as of senior age.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally, mature cat food is just a marketing gimmick. Cats might slow down with age, so these cat foods tend to cut calories by reducing the amount of meat and adding more fiber and carbs, which is actually the opposite of what a cat needs at any age! If your cat is becoming more sedentary and gaining weight, you should reduce portions a bit, not the quality of the food.

Many elderly cats also have health issues that cause them to lose TOO much weight, and you definitely don't want to cut calories and reduce nutrients for a skinny older cat! A high quality food full of protein and fat is always best, but especially for a cat in declining health.

Some of these foods add in supplements that are helpful for elderly issues, but a supplement is going to be more effective if you add it to your cat's food directly. Things like glucosamine and chondroitin help with arthritis. CoQ10 helps with the heart and gums. Fish oil helps arthritic joints, dry skin, and kidney disease. Probiotics help with digestion. But these you can all add yourself and get better results without resorting to carb-heavy foods.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally, mature cat food is just a marketing gimmick. Cats might slow down with age, so these cat foods tend to cut calories by reducing the amount of meat and adding more fiber and carbs, which is actually the opposite of what a cat needs at any age! If your cat is becoming more sedentary and gaining weight, you should reduce portions a bit, not the quality of the food.

Many elderly cats also have health issues that cause them to lose TOO much weight, and you definitely don't want to cut calories and reduce nutrients for a skinny older cat! A high quality food full of protein and fat is always best, but especially for a cat in declining health.

Some of these foods add in supplements that are helpful for elderly issues, but a supplement is going to be more effective if you add it to your cat's food directly. Things like glucosamine and chondroitin help with arthritis. CoQ10 helps with the heart and gums. Fish oil helps arthritic joints, dry skin, and kidney disease. Probiotics help with digestion. But these you can all add yourself and get better results without resorting to carb-heavy foods.
What she said.

Personally I feed my cats a mostly raw diet with Tiki Cat chicken occasionally and there's no transition between life stages, just decrease the amount a little at a time if a Cat starts gaining weight or increase it a bit if a Cat starts losing too much weight. A good limited ingredient diet is the same thing, there is no "senior" or Kitten variety, you just feed more or less depending on the individual Cat.