When Are Kittens Usually Born??

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
During the day, or at night??

Salem's been spending the nights in her room, but goes outside several times a day. I'm worried that she'll have the babies while she's outside during one of her excursions. I've been trying to keep her inside ALL of the time b/c I'm afraid she'll have her babies outside somewhere, but she gets restless and begs to be let out - which doesn't surprise me any, b/c she's used to being out all the time.

Do cats usually have their babies during the night, or can it be at anytime?
Is there any way to know for sure just when she's about to deliver (like any "signs" to look for), so I don't let her out??

~KK~

catwoman_2669

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
cats can have their kittens at any time, day or night. i wouldnt let her out anymore. not just can she have them outside somewhere she can also get sick which can harm the kittens.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It all depends on the cat. I've had four foster moms in the past year... one started about 10 p.m. and finished around 2 a.m., the next one started around 9 p.m. and finished around midnight, the third started around 2 a.m. and finished around 5 a.m., and the most recent started around 4:30 p.m. and finished before 7 p.m. I also had a foster several years ago that had hers between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You should keep the cat in all the time after the babies are born as she could get pregnant 24 hours after having the babies. Being used to the outdoors she might also choose to have them outside.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most times, my girls had them early morning to mid-afternoon. It may depend on part of when they are bred. I was not there when the breeders put her in with the stud - so I'm only guessing.

However, if you have stray cats, seems most of the breeding is done in the evening/night and kittens are born in the evening and nite-early morning.