When All Else Fails.....what Do I Do?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully it'll be not so much that they are new to each other, as much as the ego/territory confidence/cockiness of the meanies will be eliminated due to loss of territory, and regarding their feline body "odors", that everyone has a similar smell.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Be sure to give the vet permission to separate them if need be.
I’m not sure if she has large boarding kennels to accommodate all 5 together. I am waiting for her to return my email.

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good Luck. I wish we didnt need wait that long to see if it works. Im frustrated with my cats. We can have good days and even good moments. Then all of sudden one goes after the other. Levi is in time out right now for going after mittens. Im just wondering when you bring them back. Will they fight more? will it be like they are all new to each other? do they kennel them in separate areas?
Good Luck. I wish we didnt need wait that long to see if it works. Im frustrated with my cats. We can have good days and even good moments. Then all of sudden one goes after the other. Levi is in time out right now for going after mittens. Im just wondering when you bring them back. Will they fight more? will it be like they are all new to each other? do they kennel them in separate areas?

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My three despise the younger two. It used to be just my male that would go after one of my females. Then I went away in July for a week. I had a person come twice a day to care for my 5 cats. When I came home, 3 were attacking that one female and now they’ve started attacking the baby. They have a pack and I really think they’re trying to kill the other two! They are indoor cats and they treat the younger two as prey. I have a solid door separating my home in half. Tonight when I came home, my timid female’s eye is closed. I think they fought through the space where the door latches. Maybe someone swatted at her. She taunts them from the other side of the door.
This is so stressful. :-(

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't put them all in the same cage. Just the three who make a pack. Then let the other 2 have their own cage. A little separation with strangers might mean peace to them. It might make the outrageous three sit up and take notice that they don't rule the world.

If your vet has the usual set up they will be able to hear each other in the cat room, which usually has a bunch of cages for all the boarding cats in it. Your vet maybe more elegant.

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey Fur...I’ve been thinking and thinking on this all day. Do you suppose I should leave the two victim cats at home and onlg board the bullies? I’m thinking if the bullies come home (after 8 days) to a home with two existing cats (my timids), maybe the timid cats will be viewed as top in the hierarchy? If I board all of them, wouldn’t that put them on the same level upon re-entry to my home? And wouldn’t that subsequently enable the same exact behavior scenario?? Don’t I need the timid cats to gain confidence?
My husband says they will be terrified away so long. (We are over-protective with the timid cats and rightfully so.

Attachments

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey Fur...I’ve been thinking and thinking on this all day. Do you suppose I should leave the two victim cats at home and onlg board the bullies? I’m thinking if the bullies come home (after 8 days) to a home with two existing cats (my timids), maybe the timid cats will be viewed as top in the hierarchy? If I board all of them, wouldn’t that put them on the same level upon re-entry to my home? And wouldn’t that subsequently enable the same exact behavior scenario?? Don’t I need the timid cats to gain confidence?
My husband says they will be terrified away so long. (We are over-protective with the timid cats and rightfully so.
Dh and I were just talking about this last night. I would be worried about the stress that boarding them brings.
My bully is the new cat. So I'm not sure how it would help. Seeing the abused cats are the resident cats.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If that doesn't work or if it needs extra; I would also look for the ring leader bully. That cat I might contain in a room and only allow out when all 4 of the other cats are not out. Basically reintroduce the bully. Meanwhile build up your victim cat's confidience with play. Then you can introduce your two timid cats to nicest of the three with food and play. Try to get those three to bonds. Then the other, then the lastly the biggest bully.

I think all those females together might be the issue. For sure I would try to expand their territory as much as possible.... as many shelves as I could afford. Adding more shelves as I can. Then cat trees. Look for dead ends and try to rearrange thing so no cat can get trapped and cornered. Maybe a catio or cat proof fencing that keeps them in the yard.

Worst case scenario you may need to rehome a cat or two. It isn't fair to your timid cats.

I thing the vet boarding idea is ingenious and I hope it works! *fingers crossed*

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. This whole situation is so convoluted. If you’d like the whole scenario, I can
post it. I had written it down for a behaviorist. It’s lengthy, though.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi all...I’m at the end of my rope here. I’ve posted before about this, but I’ll briefly refresh. I have 5 cats, all neutered, all under 5 years. One male, four females. Three are attacking two since July. I’ve tried: CBD oil, calming collars, Feliway, Rescue Remedy, Prozac, re-introduction, advice from several cat behaviorists. My house is divided in half right now and my nerves are shot. I have the correct amount of litter boxes and cat trees. And window shelves.
They just hate each other. It appears that the first three have formed a “pack,” and will not accept the latter two whom are younger.
Did anyone ever hear of vibration collars? (Not shock, NEVER!) I’m wondering if they make a mild vibration collar activated by a remote. I’m thinking it may work with one bully at a time. The fights are nasty. Fur flying, skin broken.
Not a happy household. The stress is unbearable. Any help would be much appreciated.
Did you ever figure out a way to stop the fighting?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have my house divided in half :-/. They still “argue” through the door.
Did you take them away for awhile?

I had to rehome 2 of mine. I miss them dearly. Mine would fight too. At the gate. And I hate that they didn't all have the whole house to run. But they have been kenneled at petsmart for 3 weeks. I'm sure they would rather be back here :(

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you take them away for awhile?

I had to rehome 2 of mine. I miss them dearly. Mine would fight too. At the gate. And I hate that they didn't all have the whole house to run. But they have been kenneled at petsmart for 3 weeks. I'm sure they would rather be back here :(
No, I never boarded them. I hate that they all don’t have the full house. I’ve thought about re-homing 3 of them, but I hate the thought of not knowing their futures :-(. We are renovating part of the house, so I’m hoping they’ll get confused and possibly be able to be reintroduced. Praying daily.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We are renovating part of the house, so I’m hoping they’ll get confused and possibly be able to be reintroduced.
There's a lot to be said for this.

Also, consider vanilla, possibly; from valanhb
"You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (again, on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", the he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.
This trick works when introducing cats into the household, and also when one of them has been to the vet and therefore smells different to the others who didn't go.
"

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A house divided works. It isn't what you want, but it does work. Been there, learned to watch to see who was near the door when we went from one half to the other. Once you've got that down you're good. We didn't, but you might try clicker training to get them to move away from the door. We just threw some pieces of dry cat food away from the door on the side we were on.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, I never boarded them. I hate that they all don’t have the full house. I’ve thought about re-homing 3 of them, but I hate the thought of not knowing their futures :-(. We are renovating part of the house, so I’m hoping they’ll get confused and possibly be able to be reintroduced. Praying daily.
I know I worry everyday about their future. I feel as if I gave away 2 of my children. I just hope they will be ok and dont hate me.

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave away a cat many years ago and I don’t know what happened to her. I never want to feel like that again. I still lose sleep over it. I never kept in touch with the lady who took her and she moved. Haunts me :-(