When a vet won't eartip....?

scott77777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, the vet that has been spaying our ferals -- through the rescue group we work with -- is against ear-tipping, claiming that it makes it worse for the cats when they get into fights. More cuts and tears, etc...

Has anyone heard of this?

Instead, the vet and vet-tech have been marking the ear using some sort of permanent magic marker or such.

I'm a bit concerned, since we live in an apartment complex and we're not going to be living here forever. There are also a few groups of people trapping cats around here and there will be no way for people to know that these cats have been in someone's care already.

Ideas?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My thoughts: Contact the other vets in the area to see if they will either take over the feral TNR, or warn them that cats with a marked ear are already TNR'd.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am personally against ear-tipping and will ask the vet to tattoo the ear or the belly instead. I have seen to many cats that were ear tipped with bite wounds on the tipped ear- I took that to mean it wasn't a great idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scott77777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What's with the bite wounds?

Cats will attack another cat if it looks injured or deformed in some way?

houseofcats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm for ear-tipping mainly because this the nationally recognized standard for identifying feral cats that are spayed/neutered and released to managed colonies. Plus when you're working with a large colony, such as ours (90 + cats), you can easily see which cats have been fixed by the ear-tipping. We would not be able to see a tatoo on the ear or belly.

We've been managing our colony for about 5 years now and have never run across a problem with biting or scratching a tipped ear. I would check around and see if you can locate another vet that works with ferals that will ear-tip.