When a missing cat returns to your TNR Colony

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went to feed the few remaining members of my TNR colony this morning, and one had missed the last two feedings. I had assumed she'd been killed by a coyote, but she was back.

I figure most people don't know how good it feels when you think you're never going to see them again, but they return. Funny thing about this cat is that she disappeared one time for ~6 months and then came back looking just fine. But even after probably eight years of feeding her, she still won't let me touch her. I can get within about one foot, but any closer than that and she draws blood.

I've managed this colony from ~30 down to three. TNR does work.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes it does! I have been in this situation many times and it is such a monumental relief when they return. Like you, I had one show up months later, seemingly in good condition. We have coyotes around here as well and they are the most continual cat threat. I have lost colony members to them.

I have adopted my avatar and her identical sister, former ferals. Both have become very affectionate pets but their sister who is black and white still hisses at me and spits after three years of bringing her meals on a regular basis. There is a 16 year old feral I have never touched too. Thank you for what you are doing for your cats.

Deacon Blues

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of our old toms only ever came back when he needed help. We would not see him for many months; then he would show up battered, bruised and in pain. A quick trip to the vet and usually, all was well. One of the last times we saw him his jaw was broken. Again, we took him to the vet and got him fixed up. He always had a crooked grin, after that. He also stayed closer to the house. “Old Tom” was actually a sweet fellow. He used to jump in my lap wanting a pet.