When a 'good' groomer goes wrong!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I have never seen or heard a groomer put bows in a Bichon. I think she gave you a poodle shave down.
I was thinking she looks just like my parents toy poodles after they get groomed.
Originally Posted by wishiwas

I'm not sure why people are thinking the bows are so strange... We put bows on quite a few small breeds where I work because so many of the owners were requesting it before it was routine.

I will agree the cut does not look good. Are you sure there wasn't any matting on her body that would have caused them to shave her?

She's a very cute little dog. What is she? She really doesn't look pure poodle or bichon to me..
Nat, have you called her to see why she shaved Izzy down?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't called her, because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be nice.
Believe it or not, I tend to be straightforward & tell people exactly what I think when they screw something up.
I'd probably end up cussing this lady out!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Izzy got groomed today....shaved!!

I paid $25 to have someone groom her & it's not at all what I wanted, I did not want her shaved!

I asked for her paws/legs trimmed as that's where she mats the worst & an evening out of her hair.

This is the end result, my poor nekkid girl.
Poofy head & little nekkid body.

NEVER going back to that woman again!!

I am worried about her sunburning now....she has no fur & that pasty pink little skin.
Did she explain to you why she clipped her down? If she was matted, and with that pink sensitive skin, she may not have wanted to risk trying to comb her out...I know, as a groomer, I try not to comb out badly matted dogs...I explain to the owner that the hair will grow back and if they are consistent in bringing the dog in, then we can start leaving the coat longer again...

That said, your dog's shave off IS terrible...that groomer would not survive
long in the shop I work at...you just can't send a dog home looking like that...she is terribly uneven, and not scissored well at all...

As far as sun burn, just get a light t-shirt for her...not only can she look really cute, that shirt will serve a purpose too.

Make sure you keep her combed out, or take her in between grooms for a bath and comb out...that will spare you from another shave off in the future if she was indeed matted.
Have a groomer show you how to properly brush and comb her out...you can't just skip over the top, and call it good; you really gotta take the comb and get right down to the skin...ask the groomer how to properly line brush, as well...

This last week I had done a Bichon, and the owners wanted me to leave his head and face long...well, when I actually got my hands on that dog, there was no way I was going to attempt leaving fur on him...when I shaved him off he came off in a pelt...they didn't think his head was that bad...till I showed them the peice that came off his head, ears, and neck...

ETA...Izzy's coat is not very typical of a bichon, either...it looks really flat and thin and that type is REALLY difficult to scissor evenly...however, if you don't know how to do it, then as a groomer, she should have simply rounded her feet, and trimmed her face if she wasn't matted... When I see that type of coat, and the owner tells me that they want it scissored, I actually cringe...I can do it, and do it well...it just takes a lot longer than a Bichon with a proper coat, simply because it doesn't stand up nicely, it lays flat...

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Im glad you took those bows out
That shows she didnt know what she was doing. Actually that is what they do with poodles.
Ummmm...as a groomer, bows ARE NOT just for poodles
at the shop I work at, we put bows in anyone's dog that looks like it would be cute in; otherwise we give them each a bandanna...some get bows in their ears, and some on the top knot...bows aren't just a poodle thing...any dog can sport them...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She wasn't matted, that's what has me so pissed. Yes, she did have a few mats I'm sure.....but dang I've seen matted animals that require shaving at the shelter.....this was waaaayyyy extreme.

Oh...and she goes to the vet on monday for hairloss now. She's developed "hot spots" all over her body, & she's sunburnt in a few places despite sunblock.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh...and she goes to the vet on monday for hairloss now. She's developed "hot spots" all over her body, & she's sunburnt in a few places despite sunblock.
Oh, poor little girl! You should mention that to the groomer, so she can learn from her mistake and not do it to another poor little pup...

I hope that she recovers quickly from the hot spots and sunburn, those are no fun. Keep us updated!

But, Nat, maybe this will make you feel better. It will certainly make Izzy LOOK better, even if it can't make her feel better!

Normal Peach:

Butchered Peach:

This is what happens when my dog has fur SO THICK that I can't find foxtails in it. One year, she got one in her skin, needed it surgically removed and a drain put in... Ever since then, I've HAD to shave her during fox tail season. She is paranoid, so taking her to the groomers is out of the question.

YES, I did that butcher job to my own dog!! She looks worse in person- the cell phone camera isn't good enough to show the detail... She embarassing, but we love her anyway.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I shaved Izzy once myslef, I don't think I did half bad, but it still stunk. Cuz, go figure, she kept moving!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

She wasn't matted, that's what has me so pissed. Yes, she did have a few mats I'm sure.....but dang I've seen matted animals that require shaving at the shelter.....this was waaaayyyy extreme.

Those hotspots are likely due to the sunblock; I know your intentions were good to put it on, but sunblock on a dog that is actually not 'bald' (like a crested, or mex hairless) only create a horrible oily coat, that keeps excess heat in...even with as short of a coat that she had, conditions like that can create hotspots.

I would get a light t-shirt, as I suggested before...as that will keep the rays (harmful ones) off her, and won't make her overly hot. I would keep her inside during the super hot days... too, especially between 2-6 pm...that's the hottest part of the day. If she is out doors, make sure she doesn't get wet, as that will make her skin even more exposed; heightening the risk of further sunburn.