Wheat Litter??

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats, all nuetered males. My 8 y/o BooBoo has had constant UTI's and is to the point now where I call the vet and tell them he has a UTI and they just give me the medicine for him without him even having to be seen! He always tells me when he has an issue, he will pee on something VERY important to get his point across! A diaper bag, MY PURSE, the cat carrier, stuff like that! Now they have that new Wheat littler and I was wondering if you can switch a cat to that with better results?? I tried the whole feline pine and my cats wouldn't use it with the vet saying BooBoo was too old to train to that! Well the wheat litter looks just like my regular little only its lighter... And a tad bit more expensive... Alright Ill admit it its 3 times the price of the normal stuff! But if it didn't upset his bladder it would be worth it! The food he's on is UTI safe and normally he does really well on it. Its when I run out and have to use something else for a night that he has problems, or when he gets into the dog food! He'll kick the crud out of my dog trying to get to his food, gotten to the point where I feed the dog in the bathroom with the door shut! My other 2 cats are 8 months old, but they're all one happy family! I lost BooBoo's brother to a UTI in 2005, and thats when the problems started, apparently he had one also at that time. Any advice would be helpfull! thanks!
Amber

thecatcoach

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it is very important that your cat is on the special urinary tract diet and doesn't eat other foods. I have two cats that also have a tendency towards UTIs. They too are on a special diet. In order to make sure that I never run out I buy 3 cases at a time.

My cats only eat canned food. If your UTI boys eat canned, ask your vet about adding water to the canned food. I add about 2 tablespoons and mush it in at each meal. I have found it's worked very well for my two UTI boys.

The type of cat litter shouldn't be switched often. Cats like consistency. Whenever switching a cat litter, it needs to be done gradually, over about a week or so. It's not uncommon for cats to not use their boxes if their cat litter type is changed.

Marilyn Krieger, CCBC
www.thecatcoach.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TheCatCoach

it is very important that your cat is on the special urinary tract diet and doesn't eat other foods. I have two cats that also have a tendency towards UTIs. They too are on a special diet. In order to make sure that I never run out I buy 3 cases at a time.

My cats only eat canned food. If your UTI boys eat canned, ask your vet about adding water to the canned food. I add about 2 tablespoons and mush it in at each meal. I have found it's worked very well for my two UTI boys.

The type of cat litter shouldn't be switched often. Cats like consistency. Whenever switching a cat litter, it needs to be done gradually, over about a week or so. It's not uncommon for cats to not use their boxes if their cat litter type is changed.

Marilyn Krieger, CCBC
www.thecatcoach.com
Thank you! I didn't know you should change the cat litter slowly! Thats news to me! I knew about the food being changed slowly, but not the litter. They are on a cat food that is UTI safe but its not the food, its me not stopping them from stealing the dog food so Ill keep them away from there from now on. Hopefully that helps! I like the looks of the wheat litter because it is flushable and all natural but I dont want to upset the little boys!

thecatcoach

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The trick is to change the litter slowly. Start by adding a cup of new litter to the old litter. Every day add a few cups more.
Marilyn Krieger, CCBC
www.thecatcoach.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TheCatCoach

The trick is to change the litter slowly. Start by adding a cup of new litter to the old litter. Every day add a few cups more.
Marilyn Krieger, CCBC
www.thecatcoach.com
I might have to try it like that, a cup of different little a day and a cup less of the previous litter just to see how it goes, I dont want to traumatize my babies!

I kind of have a BRAND new issue! They started peeing on my counter!! No UTI's, they went to the vet and everything was fine. Which is good, but it stinks to take all 3 of your cats to the vet and get panals done and pay a few hundred bucks to tell you nothing is wrong.... Do you think its behavior? The only other thing I think it could be as their litter box room always had the door open, now the other day my husband closed it and sawed in a cat door... More like he sawed a hole in the door that they could fit through that the kids cant, do you think that could be it?

thecatcoach

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it's not a medical issue, then it's a behavior problem.

The litter boxes shouldn't all be in the same room. Boxes are needed throughout the house. Don't move the existing ones, instead add boxes other places throughout the house.
And yes, very likely that now that the door is closed and a hole sawed in the door, the cats don't want to use the boxes. They can feel trapped and feel like they can't escape from the room.
Marilyn Krieger, CCBC
www.thecatcoach.com