Whatsit

wibble

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hello

I hope you don't mind I just wanted to share my night with Whatsit who is a feral (although she has been house trained by the lady who was looking after her) kitten.

I am so happy to have the honour of helping look after her and also so nervous that I do something wrong and make her more scared than she already is, unfortuantly my friends and family think I am mad for owning 2 cats and doing the fostering, so it is nice to be able to come here and know that you don't mind listening and will understand.

I have read the thread about Sandi's cat and that has been printed off as it has such good information in, and I need all the help I can get

She is very timid, although she does let me approach her when she's on the windowsill. I was amazed to hear her purring already and she even let me play a game of catch the mousie with her.

She is really sweet though, and it has already hit me how difficult it will be when she has to go, even though I know she needs and deserves a real home.

I will be working on all the tips I read about, and will no doubt be giving a progress report.

Marie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wibble

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think she is around 4 months old.

I checked on Whatsit this morning, she has found a new hiding space in the base of the cat post.

But she has explored the room, as some more of the food has been eaten, and she used the litter box.

I have noticed she doesn't like males, as she will start to tremble whenerver Richard is in the room.

I don't know if it is best to let her get used to the room and me before he spends time with her.

Marie

debra myers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Marie - you are doing a wonderful thing by helping out this kitty. Many blessings to you!!!
Progres reports are mandatory!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Marie, this is so exciting! We SURE don't think you're nuts - we think you're an angel. And we DEMAND (!) that you share with us what's going on! We live for it!

...If you're sure it's Richard that makes her tremble and not just the fact that there are two people in the room, then I think it's best if you let her get used to the room and you first. As you can tell from Sandi's thread, the most important thing is to give them space and time. It almost seems like the harder you try, the harder it is. The more you ignore her but are around, the sooner she'll be comfortable. Go figure.

But given that she's just four months old, you're way ahead of the curve. Sandi's Lucky is six months, and those two months for ferals seem to make a big difference in terms of their ability to "learn" to like people.

Did I miss a picture of Whatsit in the Lounge or anywhere? Will you be able to post one?

Looking forward to hearing progress updates!

Laurie

wibble

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortuantly I don't have a picture, and I am notable to get a ditigal camera untill christmas

She is moving around the room a lot more,but we are having some really bad winds over here at the moment. I think that scared her a lot as she was hiding under the rug this morning.

She is getting more curious about who the strange person is sitting in the room, talking and singing to her, she has even ventured very close to me, but shies away when she gets to close.

Marie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah - our guys got friendly and comfortable with us before they got comfortable in the house - all those strange noises! I don't know how long your foster baby will be with you, but our two have been inside with us for four months now - and they sleep through anything but the vacuum cleaner!

Just spending time in the room with her is all it will take - other than the most important ingredient - time.

Thanks for the update!

:tounge2:

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Marie,

Thank you for looking out after Whatsit- love the name! You can help her comfort level by finding a sturdy cardboard box and flip it over. Cut some cat sized holes in the side above floor level so she can easily jump in and out. Put some soft padding down for her to lie on, and put this cat house in her room. Weigh it down with books, so she can't move it. When she gets scared, she will go in the box and hide and feel secure no one can get her. It is important while she is in there that you don't peer in at her or stick your fingers through the holes. Just leave her be, that is her "safe place."

wibble

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip Hissy, I will try making that box at the weekend.

Whatsit is coming on well, I think she does actually want to be petted but just can't let herself trust someone fully.

I have been able to coax her off the windowsill more and more, and when she is playing she doesn't hide if I cough.

The biggest thing is she is more tolerant of Richard being in the room

Fingers crossed she will carry on, trusting us a little bit more each day and then hopefully she will be more likely to find a fantastic home.

Marie

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you are making progress with Whatsit.
I'm sure she will grow more and more trusting of both of you as she realizes that you only have good intentions with her.

yola

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Marie - it will take time. My mother has been breaking in her Cats Protection adoption. Tanya now sleeps on her bed and is beginning to stand being touched without shirking and running away.

Full marks to you girl for caring enough.

wibble

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortuantly we have had a slight set back.

Whatsit isn't very well and has a bad case of diarrhea

I have switched her back to wet food as it started when she was eating the dried kitten food, and I am going to moniter her over the weekend, and if she hasn't improved make an ermegency appontment at the vets.

Due to feeling poorly she hasn't been very active, but I have noticed that she has developed a cute way of headbutting my hand to get a stroke.

It's amazing what a sweet little girl she is, even Richard is besotted with her. Good job he understands what I am doing, I had to listen to my mum telling me how silly I am to be looking after 3 cats

Oh well, hopefully Whatsit will be better over the weekend and I will have a better week next week.

Marie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Poor little girl. I've read over and over again in the health and nutrition forum that when food is switched it should be done gradually. You may already know this, but just in case....

If you want to include dry food in her diet, or if you want to get her switched to dry food, maybe try mixing in just a bit of kibble into her wet food (less than a tablespoon?) at first, and then gradually increase the amount of dry and reduce the amount of wet food. This should make the transition easier on her tummy.

Sending "maalox" hugs. (((((hugs)))))

wibble

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Eeek I had read that about mixing the food, but I forget all about it, at least it's something I will always remember know.

Whatsit is feeling a lot better, it seemed to clear up almost straight away after I gave her the wet food.

Thanks for the good thoughts

Marie

wibble

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes she is doing a lot better with him now

Although she does still seem to prefer females over men.

She has stopped hiding each time the door opens, which is huge progress and she is seeking more company each day,and has taken to climbing over me instead of walking around me, last night she sat under my legs when I was watching the tv, she has also been letting me pick her up for a few seconds off the windowsill which is a 1st for her.

I hope she does get a home soon, although she is such a sweetheart I will miss her.

Marie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Marie - it sounds like you're doing so great! I just wanted to say again how wonderful you are. And if she's walking over you instead of around you - she knows it too! :tounge2:

wibble

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Laurie,

Not to sure about the wonderdul though

What I am doing is nothing in comparision, to what you and all the other great people her spend their time doing. Still it's always nice to hear

Marie