What’s Your Thought On Iams Dry Cat Food? Let Me Have It!

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok so some of you guys know ive been dealing with stinky poops. Not mine, the cats’ :) Put them on herbal tape/round worm pills i got off of Amazon. Did the first treatment 4 days ago and cant really tell if it helps. I tried upgrade the cat food to Purina Naturals and that helped some. They cranked out less golden nuggets vs the cheaper brands. The smell decreased some i’d say about 30% or so.

Anyone here tried Iams dry food? Are they an upgrade over Purina nAturals? Theyre a bit more expensive but not by much at WM. Will it help with the smell? TFR!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed mine Iams for Hairballs formula. They seem to like it, and there have been fewer hairballs this year. I only feed them 1/4 cup in the morning, and wet the rest of the day. I can't say their stools smell any different than they did before.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, poop has an odor no matter the diet :) Sometimes it's not noticeable, as many raw diet feeders say. Dry food contains a lot of fillers which results in really stinky poop. It's also depends on how the cat's gut works. You can feed two cats the exact same diet and one will have nearly odor free poop while the other one might as well be eating dry food junk :barfgreen:

Which Iams dry food are you thinking of? Most have grains and fillers so probably won't help with the poop odor. You might want to look at high end brands that don't have grains and few fillers, if your budget allows for that. Rawz is good but pricey. Dr. Elsey's is often suggested by TCS members.

Is feeding canned food an option?

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Feeding a high meat grain free diet with quality meat based canned food will all but eliminate poop odors. Using a quality litter like everclean cat litter will also help with any left over odors. I would avoid Iams as it is full of corn etc just like cat chow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve tried canned food, Fancy Feast and Friskies, and i think their poops smell worst. Ive tried raws diet before but some of my cats wont touch it. Total divas i tell ya.

I boughtt Purina True Instinct Grain Free & Purina Beyond Grain Free last nite. What ya think about these two dry food?
What are some of the high quality canned food?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Sheba and Crave are good wet food brands that you should be able to find in Walmart or similar stores. My cats recommend the Sheba roasted turkey pate. :)

If you can afford it, Dr. Elsey's CleanProtein dry food is probably the best on the market. It has a very high animal protein amount and very low carbs. Yes, it is expensive, but they need to eat significantly less because it's almost 600 calories/cup (a 10 lb cat only needs 200 calories a day; therefore, if you fed this kibble exclusively, a cat would only need to eat 1/3 cup A DAY of this kibble vs up to 1/2 cup of another, less calorically dense brand). You can contact Dr. Elsey's from their website and they will send you free samples for your cats to try. Chewy often has the bags on sale for up to 30% off as well.

I have a friend with an 8lb cat that buys the smallest bag (2ish lbs) and it lasts her cat the whole month.

What kind of litter are you using? Sometimes that makes a world of difference.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed a high protein low carb dry, Fromm, much like Dr. Esley's. She doesn't eat that much, an 11 lb bag lasts three months for one cat. her poop is not stinky, so much so that I was actually able to persuade the dog to leave the litter box alone most of the time.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Didnt know Sheba is a quality food as ive seen them priced cheaper vs Friskies and FF at my local WM. I’ll give it a shot.
I cant afford Dr Elsey because im looking after a colony and sometimes let some of them indoor due to inclement weather or if its too muggy outside. Houston is too humid :(

How often do i need to retreat them for worms?

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Btw ive tried a wide array of litters and nothing helps. Tried crystal, clumping litter, pine pellets, shavings , deodorizer ,etc

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats refused to eat Iams Hairball & Iams Indoor.
I think they liked the Dental one, but so did the ants!
I never tried the Original one.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve fed natures variety raw boost and tiki and other high meat foods on rotation along with rotated canned foods like wellness core, instinct, Ziwipeak, weruva, tiki, merrick, soulistic, and probably others I’m forgetting. Never had any cat poop smells. Small dark feces once a day at most, everclean litter on top and 0 smell. That works for my 2 cats just fine. Also worked when I had 4 cats as well

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow You guys are fancy. How coukd you afford food that cost thus much. Have a money tree in your back yard or something :)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, the higher quality cat and dog foods end up being less expensive because the pets need less and eat less. As I said, our cat uses one 11 pound bag of Fromm in THREE months. that's a good bit of time. When my sister switched her dog from an inexpensive food, which the dog liked but found fattening, to a higher quality brand (it no longer exists and was dog food anyway.) the dog ate less and Sis saved money. Dog also lost the extra weight without being hungry.

You can google the best quality cheapest cat food. Here some cat food reviews.

The Best Cheap Cat Food - Ratings & Reviews for 2019

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bookmarked. Thanks!

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I had 4 cats a 10 lbs bag of natures variety lasted a month. On top of splitting a can 4 ways between them. You feed a cat or dog better food you feed them less and they produce less poop, shed less, etc.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Makes sense. Now, just have to sell my first born to afford the exp food :)

That Tractor can food look very similar to Friskies, at least the packaging does. The closest Tractor from me is a good 40mins drive.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
go to the Tractor supply web site. they deliver. I'd post the page but it's one that doesn't do cover and paste. Here is from the website

Delivery Options

Tractor Supply Co. offers various delivery options to deliver your purchase to your home or business. Availability and prices will vary based on location, quantity and item size.

Standard Delivery

• Parcel items delivered to your designated delivery location (porch, mailbox, etc...)
  • Oversize items delivered curbside to your residence or business.
  • Additional fees or services may apply to your ordered item - the delivery company will contact you with any additional available service or scheduling information.
Sam

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you HOA won't let you get packages you need to tell Amazon and start a long continuous conference with the HOA people all day, all night.