What's your most questionable quarantine purchase?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a morganite ring. That's a pretty questionable purchase I say lol. My reason is that I don't have any? Idk lol kinda wasteful
Is morganite expensive? I like your reasoning-- I bought it because I don't have any. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is morganite expensive? I like your reasoning-- I bought it because I don't have any. :thumbsup:
Yeah I actually have no rings at all! In terms of gemstones it's not that expensive. I would say it's on the same level as aquamarine.

I got this one.
2.60 ct. t.w. Morganite Ring with White Topaz Accents in 18kt Rose Gold Over Sterling | Ross-Simons

Still waiting for it to be delivered. It's a dangerous thing to browse jewelry lol. They are beautiful but I know I would much rather spend it on traveling the world. Maybe a house one day.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats a beautiful ring!! I love browsing jewelry. I don’t wear it as much as I used to. It was just in the way when my kids were babies. Even my wedding band is on a chain because my fingers never went back to their normal size. I wear a silicone ring thats great; but not my original set.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Well, I used the bag of limes and made a few margaritas on Cinco de Mayo. I took a few of the sweet potatoes and tried making chips in the air fryer with them yesterday. They didn't come out bad.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got a 20lb bag of rice yesterday. My son was so amazed at the bag he got out the bathroom stool so he could weigh it. :flail: (Don't worry; I made him weight himself holding and not holding it; he didn't set food on a bathroom scale! :barfgreen:)

They haven't had my usual whole grain rice and I'm not out yet; but rice is so versatile that I'm cooking with it more often. Plus rice is easy to share if someone is in need. I just should have gotten a canister for it because it's HEAVY. :crazy: Although not so bad considering the gigantic bags I saw at Sams afterwards. :lol2:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a 20lb bag of rice yesterday. My son was so amazed at the bag he got out the bathroom stool so he could weigh it. :flail: (Don't worry; I made him weight himself holding and not holding it; he didn't set food on a bathroom scale! :barfgreen:)

They haven't had my usual whole grain rice and I'm not out yet; but rice is so versatile that I'm cooking with it more often. Plus rice is easy to share if someone is in need. I just should have gotten a canister for it because it's HEAVY. :crazy: Although not so bad considering the gigantic bags I saw at Sams afterwards. :lol2:
Cooked rice also freezes wonderfully.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
. . .I always buy a 20-pound bag of rice, and I'm single, so that doesn't sound so silly to me! But then I (and my family) probably eat more rice than most Americans, from growing up in Japan. I prefer Calrose rice, although I had to get long grain the last time and I haven't died yet, lol. Uncooked rice doesn't go bad, but you will want an airtight container to keep the moths out. I use a 20-pound pet food container (previously unused, of course!).

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My parents always buy a 100 lb bag of long grain white rice from the Asian market. I don't eat rice much these days. I just got a 5 lb bag from mom today. That will last me months.

I bought a giant bag of chips from BJs today. I don't really need chips, especially not a giant bag. :paperbag:

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
See now I’m going to tell DH I’m not nuts. My stepfather is Puerto Rican so we ate a lot of rice growing up and they bought big bags. But there were 7 in our family if we were all at home. We didn’t even all fit at the table for dinner. :lol:

I normally buy 2lb bags. I need to look for a container. I’ve got ones now that hold 5 pounds. I remember mom keeping rice in an old yellow Tupperware flour canister; but not what she did with the rest of the bag.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I buy 10 kilos of rice every time I go to the supermarket. There's just the two of us, so it lasts until the next trip. I'm in Japan though, so I eat rice every day.

I haven't had any questionable quarantine purchases for a while now. The last thing I bought was a very sensible 24 doses of Profender round worm treatment. Not for me, of course.....

:popworm:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My parents have this huge cardboard barrel in the basement they store the rice in. It's on a little dolly so it can be rolled around and kept off the floor. They keep a smaller plastic bucket (5 gallon size I think) in the kitchen and just bring up a stock pot or two of rice from the basement to refill the smaller bucket as needed.

I managed to not buy anything questionable today when I went to both the supermarket and independent market :yess: The packaged muffins and locally made yogurt was a bit of a splurge but I'll eat those for my mid-morning snacks at work.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Uncooked rice doesn't go bad, but you will want an airtight container to keep the moths out. I use a 20-pound pet food container (previously unused, of course!).
That is a fantastic idea. (My sister uses smaller airtight containers for cereal, to keep the pantry moths out, but I never thought of the 20-pound pet food containers for rice. We placed 'bay leaves' everywhere inside cupboards to get rid of the pantry moths, and
it seems like there are less, but not total annihilation.)

I prefer Basmati Rice, and it is on sale here, now, so that is a bonus, but I forgot to pick it up this past friday. :yummy: :doh:

(I'm sort of ticked that the stores don't seem to have as many 'sales' as they did before.
I mean...kleenex box for $1.20 CAD, where you could sometimes find it for under a dollar, for 100 sheets or 126 sheets.
Kraft mac and cheese...no where near under a dollar.
(Our premier of Ontario said 'no price gouging', and I suppose technically it isn't,...but come on walmart and other stores....do you really need to make millions or billions on this stuff. I just want my sales. Ughhh....rant over. :mad2: lol.)

**Next questionable purchase will be ....'bluetooth wireless ear buds'...but I'd like to find ones that are under $30, won't fall out, decent sound, and can be worn while doing chores, outside, on the exercise bike,...etc. :musicnote:
Basically the ones you see everyone on t.v. wearing while doing zoom calls.
And knowing me, I'd probably lose them...so I may need the 'wired ones' after all. :ohwell:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Next questionable purchase will be ....'bluetooth wireless ear buds'...but I'd like to find ones that are under $30, won't fall out, decent sound, and can be worn while doing chores, outside, on the exercise bike,...etc.
I’ve had these for a year and a half. They’re still working really well. I bought two, one for my husband and one for me. He uses his constantly.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NM44B48/?tag=thecatsite

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’ve been wanting a pair of wireless headphones too. Or earbuds. I want comfortable ones. I misplaced my Bluetooth speaker somewhere in this house. I miss cleaning with it. But the headphones let me listen to stuff when everyone else is in bed.

I just saw an ad for sketchers in a super cute cat print! They come in size 11 too. I just don’t want the memory foam insoles.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Michele bought me a set of wireless headphones that hook up to the TV several years ago. They work on RF, not infrared, so you don't have to be in sight of the transmitter for them to work, and they recharge from the stand, so there are no batteries to mess with. They weren't cheap, but they work really well. I imagine that they will also work with anything that has an audio output as well

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Reviving because:
931B62F9-51FC-4BF2-B433-95E6BC82D191.jpeg

:flail:

No that’s not a tiny can of beans! And that’s a full size purple coffee tumbler behind them. I just made an oops ordering groceries last night! I did this once when I first started ordering and it lasted for ages!🤪:paperbag:

I’ve been craving bbq potato chips so I ordered a bag. I thought it was a big bag. It was this:
D01DC1FE-433C-4632-9FE2-24B81F6D1FD8.jpeg

The bright side is it could have been smaller and now I won’t eat so many! 🤪

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I ordered some lotion earlier this week. I guess lotion isn't really a questionable purchase but I ordered a sort of luxury beeswax lotion and hand cream. I wanted to see if beeswax lotion would help my scaly eczema patches that are pretty bad for this allergy season.

I also ordered a gallon of hand sanitizer from a local company 😶 A gallon is a bit much but it'll last a couple of months or so. Now I just need to get some of those empty travel sized accessory bottles to pour the hand sanitizer into and a mini funnel to minimize the mess I'll make.