What's your most questionable quarantine purchase?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Okay, so I panicked. I mean I have about about 12 rolls of toilet paper but...you know...what if, at some point, I was the only person in the world with no toilet paper? So...Costco was out of “normal” toilet paper, but they had a few boxes of those jumbo commercial rolls. So I bought a box. I can now toilet paper every yard in the western part of the U.S. :paperbag:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I bought toilet paper yesterday too, but not quite that much. :flail:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
My fiancé had started to stock up on shelf stable food quite a few weeks ago because he was worried about what was happening in wuhan. He came back with cans of baked beans, 99% fat free chicken soup, Vienna sausages and canned vegetables. I felt the need to step and and recommend canned chicken, tuna, beans etc. He’s pretty picky, so I think he wasn’t thinking of the possibilities.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
We also bought a kajillion batteries. Thank goodness they are guaranteed for 10 years!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was needing a haircut when everything got shut down so I am starting to really need one. I know it's going to be quite awhile before I can get one. In the greater scheme of things that is a non worry that doesn't even register.

So far I have been good other then getting chocolate which is usually just a once in a while treat for me. I am still trying to figure out the toilet paper thing why we are fixated on toilet paper. I admit when I am in the store and there is some on the shelves I feel the pull but I have ignored it because I have enough for quite awhile. I am just trying to figure out why. I get the disinfectant and bleach but I can't figure out toilet paper.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I panicked and got a HUGE thing of the laundry detergent we use. I still have maybe three weeks' worth of detergent left, but when I saw Amazon having issues with people going on strike/walking out, I went ahead and ordered the largest bottle (I can only find it on Amazon, never seen it in a brick and mortar store). The bottle claims 150 standard loads...woof.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
I think the TP issue is somewhat practical and mostly psychological. People expected the possibility of a quarantine, to everyone went to the store and thought “maybe I should get an extra one just in case”. I don’t think the supply ever anticipated everyone going to the store in the same period of days and so supplies ran thin. Once people see that TP may be a problem then they buy more and of course some people hoard.

I also heard that there really aren’t TP warehouses. The storage is expensive and the demand is normally pretty even so they make it and ship it to stores as needed. So they can’t just ship extra, the supply chain has to keep up. That’s my take anyway

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very true! It's the natural kind too, which I like. I might have to bust out the toaster tomorrow and have some peanut butter on toast as a snack. :yummy:
Yeah if I get a bit too hungry before dinner I'll just scoop some with a spoon and eat it. Does the trick!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Bought 2 pounds of belgian dark chocolate off amazon. And some nike running shoes. Trying to keep the stupid purchases to a minimum.
Sounds like a perfectly reasonable purchase to me.

:agree:
The 2 pounds of belgian dark chocolate "Sounds like a perfectly reasonable purchase"....but the nike running shoes don't??:walk::crackup:
:dunno: :wink: :lol:
Very true! It's the natural kind too, which I like. I might have to bust out the toaster tomorrow and have some peanut butter on toast as a snack.
Ohhh....I so want some peanut butter with jam on toast, now.
Peanut butter with chocolate, peanut butter with honey on toast, peanut butter with bananas.
Peanut butter is great with everything.:yummy: :drool:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I think my next questionable quarantine purchase will be... white wine.
(I don't tend to drink, ...but I'm craving it now, and it does seem to go well with chocolate, too.)
It should last a while. :drinking:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m not sure I really needed to order a 6 pack of deodorant, but I did. :lol:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A set of handmade linen dish towel with a dogwood pattern that nearly matches my dishes. I had an Etsy gift card that was waiting to be used.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peanut butter - should we have a discussion about creamy vs crunchy? We might need a separate thread for this, with recipes!

I like a sandwich of peanut butter, shredded carrot, and raisins.

As a child did you ever have "ants on a log"? Celery stick with the hollow filled with peanut butter and a line of raisins.

And there's always satay - Indonesian skewered and grilled meat, served with a peanut sauce.