What's your most questionable quarantine purchase?

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, it's not like it's going to go to waste. You won't have to buy any more for several months, right? I always buy in bulk so I'm used to it, but I can see how it can be a shock for those who don't. But I think that was a good purchase :).
Yeah, I will certainly be all set for several months. It just feels weird buying so much at once. Thank you for your input. I a lot less nervous about the order now.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't know if this fits here as toilet paper is considered by most people,essential. But, I am seriously doubting whether or not I made a smart purchase. I was on Amazon at 3 AM last night and I searched toilet paper, without any real hope. To my total shock, a listing shipped and sold by Amazon for 3 packs of Quilted Northern Supreme 8 Rolls, 340 sheets each (24 Total Rolls) was available for $27. I jumped at it and checked out in under a minute. 2 hours later, the listing was unavailable. . . So I feel pretty lucky. My problem is $27 is a big deal for me and now that I am wondering if I overpaid or just made a stupid purchase. Yet, at the same time, I have not seen toilet paper in my local grocery store for 2 months . . . I guess I am just looking for someone to tell me if I made a mistake. I can still cancel the order, but obviously once I do, I can't reorder. It is set to arrive on May 5th. I just can't wrap my head around spending almost $30 on toilet paper. Strange times we are in, no?
I don’t think you made a mistake. I bought the Quilted Northern at my local grocery store and paid about $21 for 18 rolls. I thought it was pricey, but the rolls are bigger and last longer than less expensive brands. It’s thicker so you don’t use as much. And I decided that my piece of mind was worth something, too! :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
scarlettleia scarlettleia --I've had Malbec a couple times. It was really strong! I was a little tipsy after one drink. I'll have to try it again.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We’ve been eating really healthy lately and wanted to grab a little dessert. My fiancé got a chocolate lava cake and I got a flourless chocolate torte (to go with our Tawny Port). Then because I wanted some pie when I watch the move Waitress I bought a 1/2 apple pie (fiancé doesn’t eat pie).

Then the next day we ordered donuts for delivery. Too much dessert!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds interesting. What does it taste like?
Port is a fortified wine (usually red), and “tawny” means it’s aged on oak barrels which gives it a more brownish color than red.

Port is a rich, thick sweet red wine taste. Because it’s fortified, it’s definitely strong but also quite sweet. It’s used as a dessert drink. The longer it’s aged generally the better although the cost jumps up a lot. We get our port from this place in Napa Valley called Praeger’s. They currently are delivering by mail. :yess:

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Except everybody else thought of it too and now they're out of stock. . .!

But yeah, everybody who can should get one when things settle down. They're awesome.
BUM-MER
(get it?)
I really want to get one of the Japanese-style toilet seats. They have them in some of the malls here: heated, bidet, a little jingle in case you're shy.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Washlet knockoff from Costco, it was a few years ago but I think I got it on sale for $200. Heated water and seat, a pretty bowl light, a drying feature (ok, that doesn't work very well). No music but it's pretty nice.

I can't imagine the malls here having anything like that. Not only would they not maintain it properly (eww) but some fool would break it just for funsies.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine the malls here having anything like that. Not only would they not maintain it properly (eww) but some fool would break it just for funsies.
It's so true. Here, all bathrooms are maintained by fleets of custodians no matter where the bathroom is. It's one of the things I love! There are free public-use bathrooms that are reasonably clean everywhere. Malls, buildings, subway stations, parks...Even playgrounds often have a little building with a single stall for men and women each.

There aren't really portapotties. At music festivals and other big outdoor events, they haul in trailers with flushable stalls in them and maintenance workers sitting outside the whole time--they even have air conditioning! The luxury!

That's not to say there aren't horror-show bathrooms here though--old-fashioned buildings often don't separate mens/womens (and not in the progressive inclusive way, in the here's a stall and there's a urinal and the door is wide open so you can use the stall while some guy comes in and uses the urinal right in front of you-and in front of the open door- kind of way) ickkkkk. Also, squat toilets are still very much a thing but I try to avoid them as much as possible! Usually public bathrooms will have one or two squatters and the rest will be sit-downs. It's funny when there's a line and one stall is open but no one wants to use it because it's a squatter, hahaha

anyway, I love talking about toilets! My most interesting travel stories always involve toilets of some kind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
About a month ago I bought some cloths that you can use to wash windows since I don't want to use up my paper towels and I still haven't even opened the package they came in.