What's your favorite potato salad recipe?

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After having some trouble winging people salad, I decided to try a recipe. I tried this one. http://www.foodiecrush.com/2014/08/how-to-make-the-best-potato-salad/

It turned out really great! No problems with runny mayo or weird potato texture. I did what they recommended and put the potatoes in cold water and salted the water. The seasoning was really great too! They were correct on using Yukon gold potatoes.

I would love to try some more tried and true recipes! Please share your favorites and any tips that you have to make them good.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mine is kind of an older recipe, but I love it. I originally got it from a woman on a food board that I post on....she is a wonderful cook.

Recipe is also here:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/238194/salads-and-salad-dressings#post_3884549

Killer Potato Salad

3 lb. boiling potatoes, scrubbed (I use red and/or Yukon Gold and never peel them.)
1/4 to 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
3-4 Tbsp. olive oil (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste 
1 small red onion, chopped
About 2/3 cup chopped celery
About 1-1/3 cups mayonnaise
3-4 Tbsp. ball park or Dijon mustard
1/3 cup sweet pickle relish, or to taste
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill, or to taste (optional)
6-8 hard-boiled eggs

Boil potatoes in cold, salted water then drain (no need to peel). Cut into bite-size pieces. While still hot, sprinkle potatoes with vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Set aside to cool slightly.

Mix mayonnaise and mustard together in small bowl. Add to potatoes, along with onion, celery, pickle relish and dill (if using). Mix well. Add eggs and stir gently to combine. Taste for seasoning; I'm always amazed at how much salt potato salad needs. The flavors will develop more as the mixture sits, and you'll be checking the seasoning again before serving. Let it cool to room temperature, then cover and chill at least 6 hours and preferably overnight.

Before serving, mix again and taste. Correct seasoning and add more mayonnaise, if necessary.

(A good Yukon gold or red potato is probably the best for salad. I never use Russet potatoes because they're too starchy and they break apart too easily. They can turn your potato salad into mush.)

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have found that potato salad is better if made with real mayo, no low or fat free. I also use the Yukon Gold. I mash the potatoes before they get cold.
Other than that, I steer clear of any mustard in my salad. I don't like the taste of it in potato salad. Others may feel differently. Also, use plenty of eggs and never leave out the onions.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have found that potato salad is better if made with real mayo, no low or fat free. I also use the Yukon Gold. I mash the potatoes before they get cold.
Other than that, I steer clear of any mustard in my salad. I don't like the taste of it in potato salad. Others may feel differently. Also, use plenty of eggs and never leave out the onions.
You mash your potatoes when you make potato salad? Would you share your recipe, please?

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I want to follow this post. I cook like my mom and anything for the most part she makes I can to. Corn bread and potato salad are two I can't make like hers at all. I will make them the way she says and I always do something wrong. Corn bread I am happy to go to Jiffy. But Potato Salad I will not give up, lol. 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You mash your potatoes when you make potato salad? Would you share your recipe, please?
Winchester Winchester Yes, I do mash the potatoes. Potato salad is something I make to taste, not by a recipe. I use Yukon Gold, no substitutions. The number of potatoes depends on if I am making for myself and DH or taking a bowl to a church dinner. Cut them peeled potatoes into pieces, put in a pan of cold salted water. Cook until tender. I use a cake tester to determine. I drain the potatoes right then and don't let them sit long enough to cool. I use an old timey potato masher to mash them up along with plenty of cooled boiled eggs. Add sweet onion, cut into tiny little pieces. The only pickles I ever use for potato salad are by an old standby recipe I have had for years. When I don't make them myself, I buy them yearly from a local church bazaar. A woman there makes them by my recipe every year. They are a sweet crispy pickle. I cut them by hand into tiny little pieces and add them to the mixture. I don't add mustard to my salad and the only kind of mayo I ever use is Kraft Real Mayo, no substitutions. I salt and pepper to taste, and sprinkle the top with paprika. Simple, but delicious.

Now I want to know, is your next question, send the pickle recipe. :lol3:

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom makes fantastic potato salad. I don't think she follows a particular recipe, however. These are the ingredients she uses.

Sliced cooked red potatoes (or sliced canned potatoes if she wants to do it faster)

Hard boiled eggs

Chopped celery

Mayonnaise

Dijon mustard

Ranch dressing

That's what is in it every time. Sometimes she adds other things. Usually not though.

Now there was another one I had that I DO wish I had the recipe for. I was at my cousin's son's life celebration up in South Dakota a couple years back and unlike things here, everything there was all homemade by various friends and family members. Someone made a huge cooler-full of potato salad. And it was so good, everyone was asking for the recipe. Except me, because I just didn't think to do it. My one cousin has no clue who made it so no idea who to ask.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the only potato salad I ever make. The first list is reunion-sized recipe, so I've also included the smaller family-sized recipe.

4th of July Potato Salad (1885)

originally from Waynelll Duderstadt, Weesatche, Texas

10 pounds brown russet potatoes, boiled slowly with skins on

2 cups mayonnaise*

1 cup dill pickle relish

1 cup pimiento

1 cup chopped onions

1 Tablespoon salt

1 Tablespoon pepper

Or, for family-size portions:

2.5 pounds brown russet potatoes, boiled slowly with skins on

1/2 cup mayonnaise*

1/4 cup dill pickle relish

1/4 cup pimiento

1/4 cup chopped onions

1 teaspoon salt, to taste

1 teaspoon pepper, to taste

Peel potatoes while warm, then slice. While still warm, add dill pickle relish with juice. Let soak and cool. 

Mix mayonnaise, onions, salt, and pepper. Add pimiento. Mix into potatoes and refrigerate.  

Potato salad can last up to two weeks in the refrigerator. Iced, it travels well for picnics. 

*original recipe called for Miracle Whip instead of mayo, twice the amount of that listed. Also, an equal amount of sugar has been omitted, not necessary and still delicious!

Last edited: