what's your favorite cat litter?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Long hair litter is just fancy talk for silica gel crystals
I know. I'm saying that variety/brand is the best silica gel crystal litter I've found. The other brands smelll weird or have bright blue crystals that stain or have too large of grains.

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to use silica gel when I had rabbits works pretty well.

You can get white silica gel in bulk if you order a bag from a packing place. It's exactly the same stuff and cats seem to like the beads better since they aren't sharp and pointy.

angelsmom1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried to find one of the Dr Elsey's litter's in our area, but without success.  I bought another of the suggested litters, the Arm & Hammer Super Scoop Unscented and have used this for two days. I am seeing a huge difference.  I have a few grains of litter just outside of the box and that is all.  I think that the larger grains are heavier.  These heavier grains fall off of Angel as she exits the box which prevents the litter from scattering through out the house.  Angel is consistently using the box and does not appear to dislike the new texture. 

Thank you for all for your suggestions.  I hope that the Super Scoop is a permanent solution to the house full of litter and blue spots.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Arm & Hammer Super Scoop because that's what my multi-cat neighbor uses. We buy together since I have Amazon Prime/free shipping. They usually have a good deal of less than $5 for 14 lb box, but you can only buy three at a time and have to buy other items, I think $25 or more, to get that price. Recently I ordered from Chewy & got that same price but no limit, so we bought 10 boxes. Our issue is that we live in a walk-up building, and the heavier boxes are unwieldy for us to use. One time I made a mistake and ordered a different kind of Arm & Hammer. It said scooping on the box, but not in giant letters. Wow, what a difference. I was convinced my cat wasn't drinking water because there were no discs or spheres of clumped litter, and the odor was foul.

angelsmom1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am pleased to say that Angel and I are both still happy with the A&H Super Scoop.  By the way, she was diagnosed with Hyperthyroid two and a half months ago.  She is now on Methimazole twice daily.  Although her litter habits improved considerably with treatment, she was still using urine to let me know that she was stressed.  After a urinalysis test, Angel was diagnosed with a UTI.  Our vet explained that a known side effect of  Methimazole is UTI.  She is currently on an antibiotic.  She is feeling better and, consequently, her stress level is much lower. 

So I am impressed that Angel used the A&H Super Scoop through her pain of UTI and is still happy with her new litter.  No stress marking now that we are getting the UTI addressed and still seeing consistent use of the box and new litter.  The vet says that I must watch for any new stress marking which may signal a return of the UTI and not blame bad behavior or litter box avoidance.

Applause for Super Scoop and a wonderful vet.

Vicky

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the recommendations, but I was asking if anyone has found an acceptable lightweight litter brand. I really can't lift or store large quantities of the others, so it is REALLY important that I find a decent lightweight, if an acceptable one exists that clumps well, tracks less, and has nearly NO dust.
We really like Cats Pride Fresh & Light Fragrance Free 25% lighter. It's low dust, clumps great, control odors and doesn't track. They also make a 50% lighter one.

Attachments

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um, I'd just like to point out that the lighter litters come in a bigger box. So the regular weight litter comes in a 14-lb box, and the light litter comes in a bigger, 15-lb box. I am unable to lift and carry heavy weights too, so I end up sliding the box around, and only lifting it out of the car. I also use a large scoop to get it out of the box instead of picking it up and pouring.

thecatzmeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After much research, I've finally settled on one I'm happy with:
Blue Buffalo Naturally Fresh Walnut-Based Multi-Cat Quick-Clumping Cat Litter

I used clay litters forever and it wasn't until I started having health issues that I really started looking into them. They are soooo bad for both cats and humans. I used "World's Best Cat Litter" (corn based) briefly and it was fine but I read about issues with that one as well. So walnut it is .... it's really very strange. It reminds me of coffee grounds, just lighter in color. Not an unpleasant smell, and it's effective and clumping. So far so good! :cool2: