what's your favorite cat litter?

angelsmom1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Bobbie Sue. I like Fresh Step for all the same reasons. It is just that this litter tracks every where. I have hard wood floors and I don't want scratches from walking on the ton of litter that goes everywhere, floors, furniture and rugs.

bobbie sue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Bobbie Sue. I like Fresh Step for all the same reasons. It is just that this litter tracks every where. I have hard wood floors and I don't want scratches from walking on the ton of litter that goes everywhere, floors, furniture and rugs.

I have the same problem as it tracks everywhere.    I don't have hard wood floors, instead.... vinyl tiling and carpets but to some degree I think it is inevitable especially if a cat enjoys burying the waste AND vigorously playing there and treating it as his/her sand box.   (geesh.. that is a run-on sentence if I ever saw one!)  Is the litter box too low perhaps?  I think mine might be and there are higher ones which I have to look at.  I have read on the net that some people use rubber maid storage units which are long and look a bit like litter boxes. 

angelsmom1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I tried a taller litter box, but she refused to use it all. I think it is arthritis, which is why I had to move the box from the lower level. Angel must have had issues with going down stairs, and started going on rugs and floors until I moved her box to the laundry room on the main floor. Then I bought the taller box and began her bad habits again.

Her old litter didn't track, but her old box with the old litter didn't help us as well as the old box and the Fresh Step. I just have litter everywhere now. The good news is that I have dry rugs.

angelsmom1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Free sounds great, as finicky as cats are. And the manufacturer appears to be confident with their product. Thanks for the recommendation.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mentioned that I lowered my new kitten's box into a tall sided cardboard box with a small door cut in the side of the box.  It has been great to cut down the litter she literally throws while she digs, digs, digs.  The litter still tracks a bit though, but only on the side with the door now, not on every side.

For a little more permanent box, I plan to make her one of these but with a smaller door (and probably a little smaller bin):

Credit:  Photo is from catinfo.org article "The Litter Box From Your Cat's Point of View".  Link: http://catinfo.org/the-litter-box-from-your-cats-point-of-view/

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For everyone with litter-tracking issues:  get small brooms and dustpans -- you buy them in sets at dollar stores -- and place one by each litterbox.  It's very quick and easy then to just sweep up any trackings.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@AngelsMom1988  I have been looking at litter catching mats like this one: 
Our litter boxes are in the laundry closet/room and directly in front of the washer and dryer (it's not a big space).  I sweep it a lot; but when we got rid of our old pedestal front loader washer there was a TON of litter under the washer.  Tons!  And then the hose from the broken washer poured some water on it and I had a huge mess to clean up before they came back in with my new washer.  
  This sort of mat seems like a good solution to preventing it from getting under there to begin with.  It's a little pricy and there are other versions.  But it might be worth it.  

We use Tidy Cat in the red jug and the girls can track it 8 feet outside of the laundry room.  I'm always sweeping the carpet just outside the laundry room when I scoop the boxes.  Noodles sometimes makes a mad dash out and you can just hear it scatter.
  So it might not catch it all; but for those normal, non acrobatic exits it looks promising. 

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
@AngelsMom1988
 I have been looking at litter catching mats like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/iPrimio-Trapper-Repellent-Plastic-23-Inch/dp/B00WPZ63Q8/ref=sr_1_8?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1490294292&sr=1-8&keywords=litter+mat

Our litter boxes are in the laundry closet/room and directly in front of the washer and dryer (it's not a big space).  I sweep it a lot; but when we got rid of our old pedestal front loader washer there was a TON of litter under the washer.  Tons!  And then the hose from the broken washer poured some water on it and I had a huge mess to clean up before they came back in with my new washer.  :doh3:   This sort of mat seems like a good solution to preventing it from getting under there to begin with.  It's a little pricy and there are other versions.  But it might be worth it.  

We use Tidy Cat in the red jug and the girls can track it 8 feet outside of the laundry room.  I'm always sweeping the carpet just outside the laundry room when I scoop the boxes.  Noodles sometimes makes a mad dash out and you can just hear it scatter. :cringe:   So it might not catch it all; but for those normal, non acrobatic exits it looks promising. 
I use a mat called roll away. Does a decent job if the cats don't just jump it like a hurdle.

angelsmom1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much to everyone for the suggestions. I will definitely consider the Primo Trapper Mat. I have a Dirt Devil Extreme Power hand-held vac that I use for quick litter clean-ups around the mat. The issue is that the Fresh Step litter is sticking to Angel's fur. The litter drops on anything she sits on. The litter is in my sofas and chairs, area rugs and anywhere she walks throughout the house. The litter leaves blue spots on anything she touches that is made of fabric. So far I have been able to remove the blue spots from my upholstery. The upholstery was treated, but I don't know how long the treatment will hold up to the repeated cleanings.

If the litter just tracked for a few feet from the box, I'd be a happy pet parent. But everything in the house get litter on it, so the litter isn't just tracking, it is sticking to her fur and falling off. So I have used bad terminology to be wanting a low-track litter. I should have said a non-sticking litter.

This was not an issue with the Fine Feline litter. I had a few particles of litter near the box and nowhere else. If Angel did not develop an aversion to the scent, I wouldn't be looking for solutions to the litter being distributed all over everything in the house,

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much to everyone for the suggestions. I will definitely consider the Primo Trapper Mat. I have a Dirt Devil Extreme Power hand-held vac that I use for quick litter clean-ups around the mat. The issue is that the Fresh Step litter is sticking to Angel's fur. The litter drops on anything she sits on. The litter is in my sofas and chairs, area rugs and anywhere she walks throughout the house. The litter leaves blue spots on anything she touches that is made of fabric. So far I have been able to remove the blue spots from my upholstery. The upholstery was treated, but I don't know how long the treatment will hold up to the repeated cleanings.

If the litter just tracked for a few feet from the box, I'd be a happy pet parent. But everything in the house get litter on it, so the litter isn't just tracking, it is sticking to her fur and falling off. So I have used bad terminology to be wanting a low-track litter. I should have said a non-sticking litter.

This was not an issue with the Fine Feline litter. I had a few particles of litter near the box and nowhere else. If Angel did not develop an aversion to the scent, I wouldn't be looking for solutions to the litter being distributed all over everything in the house,
Is the litter only sticking to the fur on her paws, or is she sitting directly on the litter to pee and litter is sticking to her britches and private parts?  If it's just sticking to her paws, you can use a pair of men's round-tip nose/ear hair clippers to trim the fur between her toes short.

angelsmom1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Orange&White:

I cannot be sure of every place on her body that it is sticking, as she is a long hair. I know that litter is sticking to her paws and rear, so I take her to for a "manicure" and sani-shave every couple of months. Her last appointment was yesterday. I see a less drop off today, but still more than with her former litter just before her grooming appointment (which was next to none.)

I keep scrubbing and vacuuming, but my husband is very irritated that I am vacuuming floors, rugs, and furniture once to twice a day.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got'cha.  Not just a paw fur problem.  Sounds like you're back to square one to find a new, less "tracky" litter sans blue specs which is scent-approved by Angel.  I'm sure you'll find it.  You may just have to go through a few trials-and-errors to get there.

angelsmom1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I wish Angel would just tell me what litter comfort she wants the most. I have ruled out the scent, by putting out two boxes. Old location - new litter, new location old litter. She let me know that would use the new litter, if she felt like going down the stairs, but refused the old litter even if it was closer to her. But will she use a larger granule or a non clumping litter? I just don't know what to look for.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting a mat may help a little, but if the litter is clinging to her tail and britches it won't solve the main problem.  You might as well try the free bag of Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra that Dorimon suggested.  You gotta' start somewhere.  I hope you find the answer soon.  It would be very nice if we could just read their minds, but then cats might not have the same mystique and allure.

angelsmom1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are so right about the mystery. Tomorrow I am going to a pet store that has Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra and I have already found the rebate form. If that brand doesn't work for us, I will next try Arm & Hammer Super Scoop Unscented.

Thank you so much.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll keep my fingers crossed that the Elsey's will work and you don't have a lengthy search.  Post your results!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat is willing to use crystal litter, try Dr Elsey's longhair litter: https://www.chewy.com/dr-elseys-precious-cat-long-hair/dp/32366

It's lighter than clay litter, excellent at odor control, doesn't track quite as much (IMO), doesn't stick to fur, and has a very light scent (I think it's the attractant herbs). It's not clumping litter, but it does absorb the urine very quickly. (Oh, and it's a very light green so it doesn't stain the floors/furniture. I got another brand of the crystal litter with the dark blue bits and am very annoyed with how the blue gets everywhere :/)

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat is willing to use crystal litter, try Dr Elsey's longhair litter: https://www.chewy.com/dr-elseys-precious-cat-long-hair/dp/32366

It's lighter than clay litter, excellent at odor control, doesn't track quite as much (IMO), doesn't stick to fur, and has a very light scent (I think it's the attractant herbs). It's not clumping litter, but it does absorb the urine very quickly. (Oh, and it's a very light green so it doesn't stain the floors/furniture. I got another brand of the crystal litter with the dark blue bits and am very annoyed with how the blue gets everywhere :/)
Long hair litter is just fancy talk for silica gel crystals

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have started using Scoop Away and so far it's holding up to my 5 cat household. I was using Hartz multi-cat but it got to where it wouldn't hold up. So far the Scoop Away has worked well. I guess I will stick with it for a while.