what's your favorite cat litter?

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's a similar price to the SoPhresh, which DrsFosterSmith.com delivers to your door, auto-delivery.  Just in case you're interested.
The shelter I volunteer with actually uses So Phresh since Petco gives it to us for free to use with the cats we have in their store.

I use Precious Cat Ultra (blue bag) at home and I find that it's significantly less dusty and clumps better than the So Phresh. I wait for coupons and sales and usually get it for $6-9 for the 40-pound bag.

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
For me scent is important. I don't want to smell shit as soon as I walk in and cat shit has a smell that permeates everything pellet litter does nothing for smells plus my one cat won't use it He just pisses next to the box if I use it.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Tarasgirl!  I feel like as long as I can lift those boxes it's good exercise for me, plus I enjoy getting out of the house and wandering the pet store aisles.  But I've definitely gotten weaker the last 5-6 years, so home delivery is probably in my future.  40 lbs is a lot heavier today than 40 lbs was before middle age.

dorimon...Does the Precious Cat Ultra come in unscented?  That's a terrific price with the coupon!  Unscented litter is my number 1 priority as I like to expose my cats to as few chemicals/perfumes as possible.  My #2 is clump-ability, for both me and the cats.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
dorimon...Does the Precious Cat Ultra come in unscented?  That's a terrific price with the coupon!  Unscented litter is my number 1 priority as I like to expose my cats to as few chemicals/perfumes as possible.  My #2 is clump-ability, for both me and the cats.
The blue bag is unscented. I only use unscented litters :)

The best deal I've gotten was through combining PetSmart coupons ($10 off $30, 20% off litter+food) with a sale price and the $3 manufacturer's coupon.

You can also order online from PetSmart.com when they have online discounts (sign up for their e-mails!), but the best deals are from shopping in-store.

klgrube

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I looked at that link, and it doesn't seem to be lightweight litter.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The blue bag is unscented. I only use unscented litters

The best deal I've gotten was through combining PetSmart coupons ($10 off $30, 20% off litter+food) with a sale price and the $3 manufacturer's coupon.

You can also order online from PetSmart.com when they have online discounts (sign up for their e-mails!), but the best deals are from shopping in-store.
I searched it on Amazon.  $13.19 for a 40lb bag and free shipping over $35.  120 lb (3 bags) delivered for under $40 is exceptional!  Another worry of mine with delivery is UPS drivers.  With my luck they would drop it outside my door on a rainy day, and I'd have 3 bags of clay cement when I got home.  lol 

I've been using the Pet Supplies Plus brand exclusively for over 10 years, but I may try the Precious Cat Ultra Blue next time I need litter.  It's got really excellent reviews.  I'll watch PetSmart for coupons and deals too.  There's a store I could stop at between work and home, not too far out of the way.  Thanks! 

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If the weight is your main concern, you may have to compromise your expectations on clumping, tracking and/or dust, but maybe someone else knows of a lightweight product that doesn't lose the other attractive features.

klgrube

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Which is what I've done with TidyCats Lightweight, and that is precisely why I'm here, to see if there isn't a better lightweight alternative.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Which is what I've done with TidyCats Lightweight, and that is precisely why I'm here, to see if there isn't a better lightweight alternative.
If you find one that feels like clumping litter with excellent oder control let us know. I've found all litters track.

My problem is when Indy digs to China and throws litter everywhere, all over the floor walls herself etc.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a high-sided litter box, which prevented a lot of that tossing litter around, but they still track a little out.

A lot of people don't like it, but I use Fresh Step now. I don't mind the Febreeze scent, and the cats don't either. It can be dusty, but I pour close to the pan to minimize the dust. It clumps well and has zip bad odors.

I tried the lightweight, and I didn't much care for it. For one thing, it wasn't all that lightweight. I forgotten the actual weights, but they were close.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you find one that feels like clumping litter with excellent oder control let us know. I've found all litters track.

My problem is when Indy digs to China and throws litter everywhere, all over the floor walls herself etc.
I found with my two cats that while it may not be the "Best" - Worlds Best Cat litter did the trick.  I live in a very small apartment and the thing I liked about it was it could go from scooper to the toilet.  I had two boxes in the bathroom and my boy loved to jump in the tub and hang out, so the litter dissolved while the other clumping or regular clay clogged up the tub.

I found with other clumping, it had a strong parfum smell that didn't mix well with cat deposits.

But that's just me.  LOL I've been through them all and this worked out the best for us.

Good luck.  It's tough to pick one that's right for our wee ones.

Also, keep in mind if the cat loves to clean his/her paws, I found that the clumping would sometimes stick to my boys, and then he'd swallow it.  but the corn based, while I'm sure not good for consumption was better than the others.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
For me I've always used scented litter but then again all the little store down town where I grew up sells is scented clumping or scented unclumping both max scoop brand I just grew up with scented so unscented smells dirty or not normal to me I guess even if it's scooped daily

I also have been told never flush litter down the loo but maybe it was just because it doesn't break down in the septic tank. I've also been told it's bad for the plumbing because it can block up the drain when mixed with hair sewage and other drain junk.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I did try world's best once but I caught Kabby eating It! Gross! Especially since he loves to give kisses

Last edited:

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use a mixture of Tidy Cat Instant Action and World's Best. I use the Tidy Cat because it has excellent clumping, odor control, is cheap, and Maxine likes it. It is, however, quite dusty. So, I mix in the World's Best because it is virtually dust free, and keeps down the dust from the Tidy Cat. I tried switching completely to World's Best but didn't think the odor control was nearly as good as Tidy Cat, thus the mix. Works for me and Maxine.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

​My new kitten is a box digger and litter thrower.  lol

I set her box inside a tall-sided cardboard box with the top open and cut a small door on one side for her entry.  She doesn't have good enough aim (yet) to toss much litter out that small door, but I'm sure she'll figure it out in time.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Fresh 4 Life Eco-Clump litter actually does appear to be a lightweight litter. I would call your local Pet Valu store if you want more information, since there isn't much posted about this product online.

angelsmom1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My favorite cat litter is Fine Feline from Aldi. It is low dust, low track and hard clumping at a very reasonable price. However, my cat recently formed an aversion this litter either: 1) my cat's sense of smell changed and this litter has a light scent or 2) she relates this litter to her recently developed hyperthyroid.

I changed to Fresh Step unscented. My cat loves the litter and I hate it. Since I have to place her litter box on our main level (she is 11 and is finding stairs harder to use) the tracking of this litter is awful. Can anyone suggest a find textured low dust, low track and hard clumping litter?

Last edited:

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My favorite cat litter is Fine Feline from Aldi. It is low dust, low track and hard clumping at a very reasonable price. However, my cat recently formed an aversion this litter either: 1) my cat's sense of smell changed and this litter has a light scent or 2) she relates this litter to her recently developed hyperthyroid.

I changed to Fresh Step unscented. My cat loves the litter and I hate it. Since I have to place her litter box on our main level (she is 11 and is finding stairs harder to use) the tracking of this litter is awful. Can anyone suggest a find textured low dust, low track and hard clumping litter?
I've been extremely pleased with Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra.  You can get your first bag free through a mail-in rebate: https://drelseys.com/resources/rebate/

bobbie sue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

It's Fresh Step for us here.  I first began using it when we adopted our two prior cats back in 1987 and used it for 20 years.  Now... I still buy it though for some reason it seems a bit more granulated than before but it does cover unpleasant scent very well until I discover Penny  has used it.