what's your favorite cat litter?

biscuchu321

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tidy Cats! The cat smell get sucked into it, it doesn't clump, and It doesn't get kicked out the litter box when they dig. 

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm currently using Arm n Hammer in the black box. It's ok but not quite as good as advertised. Previously used Fresh n Light, which was ok, but didn't clump as much as I wanted.

Now that they've brought down the price of Tidy Cat Light, I'm going to try it. Supposedly a 10 pound bag is the same as a 22 pound bag. Lugging everything on the bus *might* make this product good. But another kind of Tidy Cat light left styrofoam like stuff all over, and it covered my cats feet in it (then melted into goo).

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to use Tidy Cats a long time ago. It never seemed to clump very well and the litter box stank all the time. I stick by Fresh Step.

biscuchu321

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, another reason I get Tidy Cats is because it's pretty cheap, too. But that isn't really the main reason.

catmomjulia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tidy cats and fresh step, I prefer the multi cat ones too, I actually mix a few together to save on the price, it works great!

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I still like my favorite Hartz multi-cat clumping. I went on vacation the first week of April and the store didn't have the Hartz so I got Tidy Cat. After using the Hartz for the last few months I was not happy with Tidy Cat at all. Too much dust, tracking and it didn't neutralize the odor at all.

I will continue using the Hartz litter. My fur-babies and I are all happy with it. It has very little dust, tracking AND neutralizes the odor.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a coupon for a new litter from Cat's Pride. Fresh and Light Ultimate Care. They have 2 different kinds. The one I got claimed to be unscented, hypoallergenic and 99.9% dust free. I have been using it in Henry's boxes and there was NO dust. None. That was very nice. There was also no scent to it and it clumps well. All 3 kitties eat premium canned and some commercial raw so odor isn't really an issue. This stuff is more expensive than regular Cat's Pride but so far, it does what it says it does and it is lightweight. I found the $3 coupon at coupons.com. The link to their current pet care coupons is below. 

http://catspride.com/our-products/f...ium-unscented-hypoallergenic-multi-cat-scoop/

They also have a scented variety 

http://catspride.com/our-products/fresh-light-ultimate-care-premium-scented-multi-cat-scoop/

http://www.coupons.com/coupons/pet-care-coupons-102/?pid=13101&nid=10&zid=pt82

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I had a coupon for a new litter from Cat's Pride. Fresh and Light Ultimate Care. They have 2 different kinds. The one I got claimed to be unscented, hypoallergenic and 99.9% dust free. I have been using it in Henry's boxes and there was NO dust. None. That was very nice. There was also no scent to it and it clumps well. All 3 kitties eat premium canned and some commercial raw so odor isn't really an issue. This stuff is more expensive than regular Cat's Pride but so far, it does what it says it does and it is lightweight. I found the $3 coupon at coupons.com. The link to their current pet care coupons is below. 

http://catspride.com/our-products/f...ium-unscented-hypoallergenic-multi-cat-scoop/

They also have a scented variety 

http://catspride.com/our-products/fresh-light-ultimate-care-premium-scented-multi-cat-scoop/

http://www.coupons.com/coupons/pet-care-coupons-102/?pid=13101&nid=10&zid=pt82
This will be something to look into if I get discouraged with my present litter. Thanks,

amyrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dr Elsey's Precious cat litter, pref the non-scented, dust free and heavy which seems to help stop it being tacked to every corner of the house!  Easy to sift and lasts a good 2 weeks with freshners and frequent sifting.

I used to like Tidy Cats but stopped after reading something controversial about the fragrance aspect of their product, very unhappy that I ever used it after that.  PathMark in NYC also sells "Preferred Pet" which is super cheap and good if you're on a budget, but it's non-clumping which meant chucking the lot of it out after a couple of days use.

EverClean was okay but as heavy as it was overpriced.  Never again.

klgrube

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Help!  I moved to a small apartment with my four kitties.  I currently use unscented clumping, light litter - whichever brand is cheapest.  I clean out their littler boxes at least once a day.  I am seriously getting sick and tired of having to sweep the floor every hour or two - or walk all over cat litter.  YES, I have a tracker mat.  I've tried several.  They don't work well enough at all.  I still have to sweep constantly.  I'm really, REALLY getting tired of that. I've tried the corn and wheat based litters.  They STINK and I won't use them.  So does pine.   Neither will I try wood pellets or chicken feed because there is no way they will stop odor and I don't want to use a sifter.  

I'm considering using the litter crystals, but i'm wondering how they really work since they're not clumping.  I mean, do they absorb?  Do they stop odor?  How do you clean the little box if they don't clump? Are they REALLY dustless?  Are they NON-TRACKING?  

One reason I'm thinking of changing is that I have an 18-year old kitty who has a problem in that his back toes get covered with damp cat litter clumps when he uses the box and I have to constantly check his back feet to remove the dried little clumps from between his little toes.  I hate it that that happens to him. 

Basically, what I'm saying is that I don't mind cleaning out the littler box daily.  But I resent having to sweep constantly because of the tracking and I hate that clumping litters leave little clumps between my one kitty's toes. Isn't there a decent litter that won't track but that cleans as well as clumping littler?  I'm thinking that the crystals may be my only alternative, but I'm not sure if they clean well and don't track, or at least track significantly less.  Are there any specific crystal litters you might recommend?  Are there other choices aside from the one's I've already rejected?

Last edited:

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just tonight tried a new litter, World's Best Cat Litter, in lavender scent (purple bag). My cat used it right away, and the lavender scent is nice. There was zero dust. Zero.

The last litter I used was Fresh n Light unscented, which has THE worst ability to control odors of any litter I ever used. I could smell urine 20 feet away. Poop even further. A total surprise, since the Fresh n Light normal did a pretty good job.

I'll post again in a day or so to update the new litter. Too bad I can't post in reviews, though.

Last edited:

happylitter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I still believe that there is no NON-TRACKING litter. I use World's Best clumping unscented litter. I've used many different ones over the years. I thought I finally  experienced a miracle. It stopped odor pretty well, if I clean it out every day, which is fine, I always add baking soda, too.

However, there is sticky, profuse sand all over everything-my stairs, the litter box room, upstairs, all over.

Does anyone, I repeat, anyone, know of a non-tracking litter that also prevents odor? I've kind of given up trying. They all say non-tracking, but I think tracking is the very nature of our cats' rest room!

If anyone on he forum has expert knowledge that they can name a non-tracking liter, please post it so the rest of us can stop constant, sweeping, sweeping, etc.?

Actually, I think if someone invented such a product, the bags and buckets would fly off the shelves!

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree, there is no such thing as non-tracking litter. I've tried MANY different litters and they all track, some more than others. Right now I use the Breeze litter boxes, which don't exactly use litter, but non-absorbent pellets. These don't track, as they're too large and heavy. They DO get kicked out of the box, and are not comfortable to step on - but they are big enough to pick up and put back in the box rather than having to sweep up sand-like litter. This is the best solution I've found, personally. The Breeze boxes are much lighter and easier to maintain than anything else I've ever tried, and there is no dust, and no litter sticking to paws and ending up everywhere.

kamitchell6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I modified my Breeze pellet litter box because the pads were messy if they get too soaked. The pellets aren't always easy to find either. I stuck a piece of window screen wedged between the border that snaps on and the main tray. I use the silica crystals and have the box sitting on top of a rectangle shallow plastic box. The urine falls through and I dump it straight in the toilet and rinse. If it wasn't in a bathroom it would be less convenient though. Silica crystals last a long time since they aren't soaking in the urine.

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whatever clumping litter is on sale ,the generics seem to work well enough for me. Dollar General carries a clumping litter that is $6.99 and does the job think it's Cat Fanciers Association brand. I've also used and liked Tidy Cats. The cat food makes the difference I believe the grain free cat foods produce less of a smell on the waste end. :nod:

lemondrop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to use Arm&Hammer, Scoop Away, etc. because they were fairly cheap and they clumped and held smell really well. Mendel's paws kept swelling up and for months my vet couldn't figure it out. It went down when she gave him steroids, so basically the answer was no more specific than "it's probably autoimmune." When I moved back to school, it happened again and I took him to a vet out there. Immediately, she said he could be allergic to his litter.

I switched to the Special Kitty non-clumping stuff because it's basically just rocks - nothing to be allergic to - and it cleared right up! But that was too dusty for Mosey, who was sneezing nonstop. Now they use Precious Cat Respiratory Relief. Mendel doesn't react to it and Mosey can breathe just fine. I'd really recommend the Precious Cat brand in general. My brother had success with their Cat Attract formula when he got a new cat that refused to use the box.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to use Arm&Hammer, Scoop Away, etc. because they were fairly cheap and they clumped and held smell really well. Mendel's paws kept swelling up and for months my vet couldn't figure it out. It went down when she gave him steroids, so basically the answer was no more specific than "it's probably autoimmune." When I moved back to school, it happened again and I took him to a vet out there. Immediately, she said he could be allergic to his litter.

I switched to the Special Kitty non-clumping stuff because it's basically just rocks - nothing to be allergic to - and it cleared right up! But that was too dusty for Mosey, who was sneezing nonstop. Now they use Precious Cat Respiratory Relief. Mendel doesn't react to it and Mosey can breathe just fine. I'd really recommend the Precious Cat brand in general. My brother had success with their Cat Attract formula when he got a new cat that refused to use the box.
Pretty much any of Dr Elsey's products are a good buy. I hate that it took me so long to try the Ultra Precious Cat formula. The dust alone from those other brands was ridiculous. I hate to think what it was doing to my cat's lungs. There's hardly any dust in the Dr. Elsey's. It also clumps very well and hides odors better than anything I've used.