what's your favorite cat litter?

junia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use Swheat Scoop exclusively. A box lasts me a month, I flush it down the toilet, so it's easy to clean. Doesn't appear dusty (much) to me and cats like it. Never had an issue with blocked pipes either, as a bucket of water gets tipped down the toilet after flushing. I have 2 cats sharing a litter box. I clean box daily and twice daily as it gets lower (towards end of the month). Scrub about the box and start over again with new litter and the kitties are in heaven. Once both jumped in at same time, wanting to be the first to use the new batch.
They track it a little, even with a no track mat put down. This though is confined to around the litter box and I sweep the cat's room each morning.

randomhero1747

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've actually looked online at reviews and decided to try out a pine litter though technically I. Bought my bag of pine pellets from the tractor supply for 5 bucks. Now its not very pine smelling but as long as I clean out the solids then no smell. I love it compared to clumping litter that unclumps and looks like the bow is still dirty. I just sift out the broken down pine and wa LA!

The round box it the main litter box but I sifted it all to an extra one so I could throw the 'saw dust' away. Thew it back in and bam! Looked good as new

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use an unscented scoopable cat litter. I have read some articles which say these types of litter can be dangerous to cats as the litter expands when wet. Anyone have any knowledge of this.

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Horse pine pellets or feline pine pellets. I will never go back to clay or any of the many litters I have tried in my quest to find the best cat litter. The pellets check all my boxes for sure.I also use the sifting 2 box system that I ordered from feline pine's web sight.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The litter expanding when wet is only dangerous to kittens or a cat that eats it. Kittens must be watched closely or taught to use the litterbox with regular litter.

luv2cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
"Perfect Litter" by Pet Healthy Holdings.  It is extremely lightweight, long lasting and litter is the type that monitors for wellness depending on color of litter.  For me, one 4 lb bag of litter lasts for 2 cats about 3-4 weeks.  Odor control is good (much better than crystal) clumping isn't fantastic but its there and the cats like it.  It looks like little pieces of torn cardboard (best way to describe it), not perfumed either.  Suggested amount 1 1/2 - 2" of litter, scoop every day, do not dispose in toilet.  So easy to use and dispose of due to its light weight nature.  My cats took to it right away, once all the crystal is used up both litter boxes will be Perfect Litter.  It cannot be bought in stores - Amazon carries it and you can also order it direct from Pet Healthy Holdings.  You can get a free trial 4 lb bag through the web site (you pay for shipping) the company follows up with a phone call.  I am on an auto delivery and don't have to pay for shipping ... nice.  I switched to crystal litter in hopes of helping my kitty with allergies, it helps but I hate the tracking its everywhere.  So like many cat owners I started searching again and found this product.  I'm very happy with it and hope that it will be around for a long time and I won't have to switch back to lugging around 40 lb bags of litter.  Try it you'll like and so will your cats.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra for its clumping ability and low dust level.  I found that mixing in a bit of Arm & Hammer Double Duty improves control of urine odors a lot...not so much a problem in the box but the trash bin I use to collect the "treasures" gets really stinky otherwise.  I could probably get similar benefit from mixing in baking soda.

I've been searching around for non-clay alternatives because of concerns about the long-term effects of inhaling clay/silica dust, for both me and the cats.  Also one of my cats has teary eyes every once in a while.  I had tried World's Best and liked it but it is still plenty dusty, and I'm concerned that GMO corn dust is probably worse than clay, since it's highly allergenic.  Thought about walnut but it's expensive and still very dusty.  Thanks for the pointer to PerfectLitter!  I like what it's made of (vermiculite, perlite) and  just ordered a trial box ($5 for shipping).  It looks like it should fall midway between clay and walnut/corn in price, if it's truly the case that the 4 lb box is the equivalent of 28 lbs of clay.  Not having to lug around heavy bags of litter would be worth that cost difference alone!

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Still love the  horse pine pellets. They are awesome. A 40 lb. bag from Tractor Supply has lasted me at least 3 months for 3 cats and only cost 7.00. That is just one of the many pluses.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Bought 2 more boxes of TCS litter because I was at the store and it was on sale. Poured one box into smaller containers outside where the dust doesn't matter. By the time I was finished, there was a big cloud of dust in the air, so much that I could feel it in my lungs. My initial box did not contain so much dust. Could explain why it was on sale at $8.99 instead of $12.99. Will be taking the other box to the local shelter.
I'm guessing you're referring to Paws & Claws from Tractor Supply Company? I just tried a bag of it and won't buy more. It's priced right for sure but it seems to give off a lot more dust than what I'm used to and it makes Sophie sneeze. I had never heard her sneeze before so that one's out. I like Cat's Pride and may try Scoop Away. I have some Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal for multi cats right now. It was $7.97 at WM for a 14 pound box and had a $1.50 off coupon on it so I got 2. I think it works great and the cats are fine with it. They don't really seem to be finicky with litter the way they are with food and the only litter I've used so far that has gotten any kind of reaction so far is the Paws & Claws and it was a few sneezes but that was enough for me to keep it out of the litter rotation.

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Fresh Step Multi-Cat Odor Control (I think that's the full name). The clumps hold together well, it does not seem to be too dusty, and best of all--I never smell the litter box! I can get it for a reasonable price if I get the big bag at Sam's Club--about $14 for 44 pounds. It is a pain in the butt to lift it in and out of the car though! I pour it into a large plastic container with a lid and scoop it out with a cup.

thehistorian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have posted in here before, but I thought I would throw my two cense in again. I have two favorite cat litters: Swheat Scoop and World's Best Cat Litter. Right now I am using Swheat scoop because I like the fact that it is unscented, it clumps well, and the odor control is great.

kagami

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Currently Pampuss, but seriously thinking of changing, since it's not as great at absorbing as I thought. >.<"

happylitter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am telling all of you people who ignored my previous post: Get Worlds Best Cat Litter and put a couple of inches in each pan. Add a little baking soda. Buy Fridge It little purple charcoal squares from web site. Attach 1 to each pan via little hook on product or use a bent paper clip if needed to hang. Remove clumps every day with litter thing. Remove stool as needed. Add a little baking soda again. Fridge it is supposed to last 6 months.
Absolutely NO odors and almost no tracking. Not sure when or IF whole boxes need changing. It's a MIRACLE! I have 2 cats and 2 big boxes.

I am not involved with Worlds Best!. I read about Fridge It in a totally different type of forum that had nothing to do specifically about cat litter! It had something to do with odor. But this person had used this Fridge It which I had never heard of-and she was totally amazed. I bought Worlds Best for the first time because I just picked out an unscented clumping litter. I bought Fridge It on line. I completely cleaned and emptied both boxes of my old, smelly litter-Feline Pine- and redid the litter boxes with Worlds Best and Fridge It. I'M TELLING ALL OF YOU THERE IS NO ODOR. NONE. AND HARDLY ANY TRACKING. I CAN SEE ONE BAG, AROUND 20 POUNDS, I THINK, WILL LAST A LONG TIME. I decided to go on a cat forum because I wanted all of us cat people to really be happy about their litter issues. I've had cats all my life. I'm 73 years old. This is not nonsense. Buy what I said and see how happy you'll be. I am totally amazed by the 0 odor. Don't ignore this. The Fridge It will probably work with any good clumping litter. As I said, I just chose Worlds Best at random. DO THIS. YOU WILL BE SO HAPPY. I'm not disgusted with the urine odor any more. By the way, Fridge It is also sold in some retail stores but I'm not sure which ones. Try it! You ignored my post and millions of you responded to the post I just answered. Why? Try it. Contact me if you want to. I will give you my email address and/or phone number. It WORKS. I put this post up for all of you cat lovers like myself.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just switched to Dr. Elsey and like it so far.  Before that I was using Swheatscoop.  I liked the texture of Swheatscoop, but it was awfully dusty and attracted bugs.  I won't use a food based litter again because of the bugs.

jc21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When my babies were just weeks old I used Feline Pine, loved the smell of it but it's a pain to sift all that sawdust, so I switched to World's Best I liked that it clumps but I was not that great with odor control, and my boy got an allergy reaction to it, my poor baby had his paw pads all cracked. Now I'm using Dr. Elsey's best litter I've tried so far. I have two cats and that litter it's great with odor control.

boopstein

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love the Tidy Cat Breeze System ! Very light weight pellets and no odor or scattering [emoji]128515[/emoji]

jackwillow2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I work with alot of cats and I find Breeders Select is the best litter, never had a refusal, it is recycled paper pellets, originally made in Australia but now has a manufacturer in England,  unlike wood pellets it doesn't break up, it just soaks up wet and poo easily lifts off,  no dust and no mess on wee paws.  Highly recommended.

jackwillow2

artesian79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've been through so many, but have settled on World's Best Multi Cat. It tracks less than others and we like that it doesn't have silica. It is scooped at least once a day( and likely more). Oder hasn't been an issue except when our little fella had a parasite.