What's your car's name?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Summer car- before I went off to school - drove my brother's GF's bronze-colored Mercury Capri. Learned to drive a stick in that thing! Don't remember the year but it was a rust bucket with messed-up wiring. Mom backed the Chevy Caprice (see below) into the driver's door, ruining it. Not so much as a scratch on the Chevy. My brother found a door at a junkyard -which was silver - and had it put on... This car was called the three-B - blazing bronze bomb!

First car - signed over to me by my folks - was a two-door, gun-metal gray Chevy Caprice, with the 454 Big Block engine... I think it was a 1974. Possibly 75 or 76. My dad was a vendor to GM and we got deals on
executives' cars after they had driven them for a few thousand miles. This car was called The Tank.

ETA - just checked with my brother, b/c he was the gearhead in the family. It was a 1972 Chevy Caprice.

My first owned car was a very basic, brown 1981 Toyota Corolla sedan with five on the floor - It was called Baby T - after a line in some funk song I heard on the radio.

Second car was another 1989 5-spd brown/tan Corolla called T-2.

Third car was a silver 1998 Honda Accord - funny - I don't think I named this one.

Currently I am driving my mom's 2001 Buick Park Avenue, lovingly referred to as The Land Barge.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought that I was the only one who named things

My 1997 GMC Jimmy is Mr. Jim because is predecessor was a 1991 GMC Jimmy and his name was Jimmy.

I didn't want to use the same name and someone had suggested Mr. Jim.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my old car's name was Junior - I have no idea why (I had that car for over 20 years). So - I named my new car J.T. (Junior Two)

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 1996 Chevy Caprice is The Behemoth because of it's sheer size. An actual full-size sedan that seats 6. It's like driving a sofa. AddieBee mentions her mom's Caprice not having a scratch after an accident - I agree they are built like tanks. And to think I would like to trade it in for a Mini Clubman.

My sister had a Geo Tracker (really small SUV) that was white. That one was the Clown Car.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These stories are so great! Thank you everyone for participating!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

These stories are so great! Thank you everyone for participating!
You're welcome!!! This is fun! Of COURSE Americans name their cars!! LOL! Fun to see others do it, too.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

my Nissan doesnt have a name I can say in public
lol it causes issues sometimes! But the Beau's 79 MG B is named Mean Green because it's lime green and because it is all so mean.... lol (its a cruise car... its never going to have a chance in a race!)
My brother had a little green MG-B GT hatchback...don't remember the year... a late 1960s model I think. We called it the Nanook of the North Mobile and my brother was Nanook because he would take this squat little car out in the snow ...and THROUGH snow banks and around icy corners sideways.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

My brother had a little green MG-B GT hatchback...don't remember the year... a late 1960s model I think. We called it the Nanook of the North Mobile and my brother was Nanook because he would take this squat little car out in the snow ...and THROUGH snow banks and around icy corners sideways.
Hahahaha thats awesome! But I better not let Gary read it or he will be trying it this winter!
A picture of "The Mean Green"

Would have posted this earlier but it wouldnt upload!

adriana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 2008 Ford Escape is named Buddy, because he just looks like one.
Buddy looks friendly, I can tell, and he's so easy to use and dog friendly, so he's such a great buddy! Don't judge me.

My vehicle before Buddy was a silver 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited named Doug. Why Doug? Well, if any of you have watched King of Queens, you would know that Doug drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee! LOL.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My trucks name is Beast.
She was named that,because she IS a beast.LOL!! I drive a Ford Expedition.

at129

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good thread idea! And I'm glad I'm not the only one

My first car - a red 4-door Cavalier (a 2000, maybe) - was Libby. I got the car in the middle of a really cold winter, and since I smoked outside, I got into the habit of keeping books in the car, and going and sitting in the car with the engine running and a book to read when I wanted a smoke. The collection of books in the backseat got so epic, we started referring to the car as "The Library," which morphed into Libby.

When I had a better-paying job and started traversing some extremely dangerous highways, I wanted a bigger, safer car, so I upgraded to a champagne colored 2006 Chevy Impala. I was about 25 years old, and I caught a LOT of flack for driving a "granny car" - but I love those things! The Impala earned the name GI Jane for trooping through a freak blizzard like the toughest chick around, while all those "big boy" 4-wheel-drive SUVs and minivans were spun-out at the side of the road.

Jane lived up to her name when, in 2007, I was caught in the middle of a 6-car pileup on the highway. The damage was fixable - that time. Jane's luck didn't last forever, though. In late May, 2008, I was in the middle of an intersection (4-way stop right off a highway), and an out-of-towner blew through a stop sign going way too fast and t-boned me. He hit me so hard that my car was pushed across 2 lanes of oncoming traffic and into a guardrail. The impact was on the passenger side, near the front, and the entire front end bent to the left - despite the passenger-side impact, it was my driver's side door that stuck shut, and my driver's side rearview mirror that popped off.

The fact that I walked away from 2 major accidents (particularly that second one) without any serious injuries reinforced my loyalty to the Impala model, so with the insurance payout, I picked out another Impala - a shiny new 2008 upgraded model, with a black paint job and charcoal interior. This one's the Batmobile in honor of its color and sleek look.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

You're welcome!!! This is fun! Of COURSE Americans name their cars!! LOL! Fun to see others do it, too.
haha all my friends do it to

My very first car was a vauxhall corsa she was called Vixen, I dont think i gave my clio a name, my fiat 500 was called bumble bee, coz it was bright yellow

But i like Meg the best

ladyhitchhiker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My first car was an 89 toyota camry named Bennyboo after my music teacher. I was just going to name it ladybug because it was red, (actually more close to maroon) but it's complicated. We had to sing this weird song about ladybugs and eating them for chorous, and our teacher who's first name was Ben hated being called Bennyboo but we called him that anyway, so I named my car Bennyboo. Complicated, I told you, but my brain makes those kind of leaps.

Then I had Squeaky my van. It was named Squeaky because since the moment I owned it it made strange inexplicable squeaky noises. I hated that van. It had tranny problems galore. I probably should have named it Magenta or Columbia or Riff Raff or Dr. Frank N Furter

Then I inherited my dad's car who they named Zelda after F Scott Fitzgerald's wife. Yeah I don't know why she was named Zelda, but that was her name.

All my cars have had names. And each one was a "girl" or a "boy". None of this neutral stuff. LOL

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love these car names and stories!
My first car was a battle-ship grey 1952 Chevy with no radio (absolute hell for a teenager); she was Big Bertha because, well, she was battle-ship grey and huge.
My next car was a 1965 Mustang coupe that I called Amelia. She was totalled by a drunk driver one sunny Friday afternoon. (yes, I cried)
My current car, that I've had since 1977, is a turquoise blue 1967 Mustang. She's usually referred to as Abigail or Abby, but is also known as the Blue Meanie and the Wild Beast. I love her to pieces, but would give anything for air conditioning and a good heater.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a car--can I still play??
I christened my buddy's car(Turtle's Daddy) Grandma Goldie Putt-Putt. It's a 1977 powder blue Impala. It's huge and sputters and stalls and really belongs in a museum. But he's very sensitive about his antique. I'm embarrassed to ride with him and usually crouch way down in the seat--in case I see someone I know!!

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There's only 1 car that has a name. It's the 2000 Chevy Venture van with 120,000 miles on it.

At the time the kids were (and kind of still are) into the Nick series Avatar (the one that the movie's based on.). Well, they were watching the episode where Apa (is that how you spell it's name) the big white bison got lost. And one of the kids said "Hey- we've got a big white van, let's call it Apa". And the name stuck.

They wanted to put a big arrow on the top of it- I said NO. LOL

Dd is now learning how to drive in it, and every time she sits in the driver's seat she says "good Apa". LOL.

The truck and the car are "little truck" and "little car". Dh has a 2007 Chevy Colorado. And when the van had "issues" and I needed something dependable, I got a 2010 Ford Focus.

I like my Focus. It gets WAY better gas mileage than "Apa" LOL

Cheryl

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I`ve never named a car....but because the cats hate the sweeper, I`ve nick named it "The Closet Monster"......I get it out and they all run and hide until it returned to it`s home in the closet.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a long history of naming cars. Our first one, a 1966 Chevy Van we bought (very) used, we called Pheidipides. That was the Greek soldier who ran the first marathon, said, "Rejoice, we conquer!" and died. That was our van all over again. Except for the victory.

We replaced him with Bacchus, a 1967 Buick LeSabre. Bacchus is the god of wine, and that was our car...drank way too much!

Our current cars don't have a name, but the hot rod (Tub T) and the motorhome (Baby Blue Whale) do.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Dodge Stratus, and we call it the Stratos of Power (said like Arnold Schwarzenegger lol). No clue how it started.