What's wrong with my cat's mouth/lip?

jmarti201

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure if I'm putting this in the right place, but here goes:

There's been something wrong with my cat's mouth/lip for a little while now. At first, it was just one side, that looked swollen and white. Occasionally it looked like there was dried blood, as though she'd bit it accidentally. Yesterday, however, we noticed a small line of red on the other side of her mouth, too, although it's not swollen or anything. Both were dry, although the one that was swollen first seems turned upwards almost... it's difficult to explain.

Here are some pictures I took (took them when she was asleep, it was the best shot I could get):

I can't find anything like this online anywhere, and she's an indoor cat and whenever we try to take her outside she gets terrified (when we were moving house a few years back, she was as scared as could get, even just when we brought out the cat carrier). I'm not sure if vets do home visits, either. But can anyone give me any clue as to what this could be?

Thank you anyone in advance!

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what that could be but it does look  serious . I think she should be seen by a vet .. Maybe talk to your vet and explain that she has severe anxiety at the sight of the cat carrier or going outside . Maybe they can help you ..

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've seen something similar to that in a feral cat. The lump was around his tooth rather than on his lip. It turned out to be an oral tumour that was successfully removed.

If you Google Oral Tumours in Cats you'll be able to see some similar pictures.

I know going to the vets must be scary for her, but I really think you should get that seen to as soon as possible.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No idea what this is, but it sounds like it's been going on for a while and is only getting worse, so I agree that your cat should see a vet. There are some who will make house calls. Try searching for "mobile vet [your city]". That's how I found the vet I currently use.

sarah ann

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It looks like esinophilic granuloma. My cat has one on her lip and on her tongue as well!  They look like nasty tumors but usually are benign and go away with steroids.

You cat may need antibiotics as they do get infected.

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat had something very similar. The vet said it was "rodent ulcers". I did research on it as well before I took her to the vet. Once at the vet she was given a steroid shot and a 10 day of amoxcicilin antibiotic. I had to take her back two weeks later for a second steroid shot. She hasnt had any ulcers since.

I suggest you do the same. Cats are masters of hiding pain so even though it may seem like it doesnt bother them and they eat fine, the vet assured me it was probably pretty painful to eat.

mimicatmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks like food allergy or some chemical poisoning, since you said she is indoor. Is there a possibility she went to the garage and licked something ( cleaning products, car products)? OR did you change her food lately or gave her something she usually never gets ( new treats for example)? Did you put anything on her that she could have licked ( shampoo, flea product, etc) while grooming?

Bottom line did she get ANYTHING new by mouth lately?

One way or the other, you will have to go to the vet like NOW, but try and think about something along these lines....

Keep us posted. Good luck

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She definitely needs to see the vet, soonest. Yes, there are mobile vets, but mostly in large cities. If you can't find one, wrap her in a towel and shove her in the carrier. Stress is bad, but not as bad as this.

Margret

allykat08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would definitely try to have her seen by a vet.

My cat, Baxter, had something similar once. His mouth was a mess and look much like your kitty. It really scared me when I found it! It was actually a reaction to plastics. We were feeding him from plastic food bowls and coated paper plates. Now we use only glass, ceramic, or stainless steel. He hasn't had any trouble since then.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That does look quite infected and I agree with the poster's above. Your kitty needs to see a vet, asap. Keep us posted and mega vibes for you kitty :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Agree with Sarah Ann. It looks like a lip ulcer from esinophilic granuloma although it could be something different. Please take her to a vet. You may be able to find a vet that will dispense a mild sedative to give for kitties anxiety before the vet visit. It may be as simple as steroids and antibiotics but she needs to be seen.

beaverlaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could that be severe Stomatitis? But it looks like the lips are affected, so I'm not sure. Definitely something to go to the vet about!

sheila33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 14yr old cat has similar sore. We tried injection of steroids which initially helped but it's back. Vet recommends biopsy & possible surgery but 1500 is a little expensive and not sure I want my cat out under at his age. He's healthy other than this lil issue. It was bleeding this morn I think he scratched it. I'll call vet agn tmrw mayb see if they can gv him anothr shot of prednisone. I've read antibiotic shld be given at same time. Pls let me know wag treatment ur cat was given & if it's had good results. Thks.