What’s wrong with kitten’s lower lip?

IsaAndNena

Nena’s personal maid
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I noticed just now that my cat has this swelling on her bottom lip. It’s not red and when I touch it it doesn’t seem to bother her but nevertheless it’s pretty big so I don’t know what to make of it. She doesn’t have any other issues like sneezing, nose or eyes discharge, or behaviour changes to make me think she’s sick and I haven’t fed her fish which is the only food she reacts to.
Any ideas? Should I see a vet?

If it helps she’s a 5.5 month old Maine Coon x Turkish Angora mix, strictly indoors, and just lost two upper premolars

EBC1115D-9B90-4C97-BB09-490224142F0B.jpeg

F2B7EF23-09EF-49E1-8EC5-24ACAE6E476A.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IsaAndNena

Nena’s personal maid
Young Cat
Purraise
D8E4D319-9BEE-40C4-891E-C8423D0B1175.jpeg

52AB45E7-5937-402C-A77B-C91EDD74F4CE.jpeg

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be what is commonly called a rodent ulcer. The proper name is eosinophilic ulcer. They are usually seen in older cats but that doesn't mean that they can't appear on a young cat, a vet can tell you just by looking at it. If that is what it is it isn't dangerous but it is treatable if the underlying cause is found. They are usually either an allergic reaction or autoimmune in nature. They can be treated with a short course of a steroid.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two other ideas apart from the above:
My girl had something similar when I gave her food in the plastic slow feeder. She doesn’t normally eat from plastic so I’m guessing that was a reaction to plastic. It disappeared on its own before the vet visit.

I’m also thinking if she’s wearing the a collar, she could have tried to remove it with her chin and the lip could have been hurt in the process. I don’t see a collar on her but mentioning it in case she occasionally wears it.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be a rodent ulcer, easily treated but can be painful if left. Can you see any puncture wound inside her mouth as there doesnt appear one on the photos.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IsaAndNena

Nena’s personal maid
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be a rodent ulcer, easily treated but can be painful if left. Can you see any puncture wound inside her mouth as there doesnt appear one on the photos.
Hi! Thanks for the reply

I looked inside her mouth and I don’t see any puncture wound. I took another peek at it this morning and it’s still just pink (not bright red or anything) and she still doesn’t seem to be in pain from it not even when I’ve touched it

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rodent ulcers tend to be redder and sore looking but in saying that it may not be fully developed. I would check it again later or tomorrow and look for changes. Post another photo maybe.