What's with cats and closed doors??

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As the title states, why do cats have such an obsession with wanting doors to stay open?? My cat drives me crazy sometimes, where she will cry and cry outside of my bedroom door to come in, and then right after I let her in (if I don't leave the door wide open enough for her to just walk back out) she cries to go back out!  It's particularly starting to get bad at night when I go to bed because I purposely have to keep her out of my room or she will keep me up all night getting into mischief (she barely sleeps during the night, and she's still a hyper and curious kitten).  Any suggestions? She has free range of the house except for a few doors that we keep closed, such as the bathrooms or my bedroom.  My sister always keeps her door open but of course the cat has no interest in her room at night, go figure!

tiptopper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are so funny. We keep all inside doors open so no room is "off" limits. 

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is absolutely no solution to this problem but I will tell you there are some cats that can care less of a closed door. You just happen to have a cat that cares extra about you [emoji]128570[/emoji]

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Sophie is the same way. If a door is closed, she will try and try to find out what is behind it. My DD's room is off limits to cats. Guess where she wants to be more than anything? Yup- DD's room. She has tried many things to get in there from the most pitiful crying you've ever heard to trying to manipulate DD to open the door by knocking things over in the bathroom next door to pulling the bathroom cabinet open and then letting it close again making a banging sound hoping DD will come see what the noise is and come running while- of course- leaving her door open so someone can sneak in. 

DD is on to her antics and does not fall for them. 

She desperately wants inside the chest freezer in the kitchen. DD opened it the other day and she jumped right in. It's pretty full so when she landed in it, she was just a couple of inches from the top. She stood there and started scolding DD. DD picked her up and put her on the floor. The scolding increased.

Any space at all that can be enclosed even just a little is a cave to her. The area on the stand behind the big TV is what we call the "fortress of solitude". She claimed this area as soon as she came to live with us. We are NOT allowed to put anything back there or she will push it off. The surge protector was back there. It was too heavy to push with her paw so she backed up against it and pushed it off with her tush. The Amazon Fire TV box was back there. That got slapped to the floor. The router/modem was back there. It also hit the floor after a "love tap" from someone's paw. We gave up. We have put  nothing else back there since. 

The washer and dryer are in the kitchen behind bifold doors. Someone (me) forgot to close them so someone (Sophie) decided to explore behind them. I had to pull the dryer out to get her. The duct work ripped of course and I had to fix it. Now every time I do laundry, I have to equip my 2nd and 3rd sets of eyes to make sure she doesn't sneak back there. Yes- she tries every time. 

She figured out how to get in the stereo cabinet in the bedroom. I was looking all over for her one day and went into the bedroom. I happened to see something out of the corner of my eye and there she was behind the glass cabinet door snoozing on one of the shelves. The back of the cabinet is mostly open for wiring. Some of the shelves are empty though and one of them was her chosen napping spot. 

Cats like ours certainly keep us on our toes, don't they? 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a doll she is!

I have a mantra I say all day long: in and out, up and down, in and out, up and down, in and out, up and down .... this describes me jumping up every 5 minutes to let them out of the master bedroom so they can go downstairs. Until they come back.

My cats are not allowed to sleep with us & they are not allowed in the master bedroom without me. This makes it a special place for them, but I have always been afraid they will knock over my 47" TV from its stand if I am not there & they get rambunctious. They are not allowed behind the TV on the TV cabinet.

Kandy also would love to get behind the glass doors of the TV cabinet. When I open one of the doors I have to watch that she doesn't jump in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That seems to be the case with my Foxy- She just wants to go where she isn't allowed! If she was a much calmer cat who would actually sleep at night and not run around my room knocking things over, it would be a different story, but for now, my bedroom will remain off limits unless I am watching her.  She pretty much does the same thing for the bathroom-it's off limits unless she's being supervised but the second she's allowed, she wants to stay in there for as long as possible.   I've even tried bringing her into my bedroom during the day while she was in 'sleep mode' so I could try and associate the room with going to sleep, but as soon as I put her on my bed, it's like a switch goes off and she's back in curious hyper mode! She thinks it's her play room.   I love her though, she's endless entertainment.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@destinyz12  Foxy and Sophie would get along great. Sophie is the only one of my cats who really gets the zoomies and she makes up for the other two. He bouts of the zoomies are epic. She's like a 5 pound wrecking ball. She has pulled down curtains- rod and all, knocked pictures off the wall, pulled down blinds. etc... 

This is on of the main reasons I no longer put up a Christmas tree.  It would not last one day with her. 

@Primula   Thank you! She is my feline soul mate. My fluffball of love and I adore her. 

hellothere1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm late to this thread, but I had to comment because both of my cats HATE closed doors!!! If I'm in the computer room with them and I close the door they will freak out until I open it (meow like crazy & scratch at the door). When they follow me into the bathroom and I close the door they freak out. They actually are starting to learn how to open some doors now, they figured out how to open my bedroom door at night to get in >.< They are crazy but I love them, have not found a solution for this besides leaving most of the doors open.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Cats are inquisitive explorers. They like to poke their noses in everything. The more you restrain them, the more curious they are.

It could be some sounds they heard and they wanna check it out. Or they sense movements behind closed doors.
I guessed that as long as you are there, they want to make sure you are alright so they want in and see that you are ok and then want out. Think they don't like to be seperated.

After all, they are cats. That's how they operate. They are the boss :lol3: