What's Up With This Non-recognition Behavor?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten, Meep, had her spay operation yesterday. Everything's going okay except for the worst non-recognition behavior I've experienced between her and one of the other cats (Sir Eats-A-Lot). He's been growling, hissing and bopping her on the head whenever their paths cross. He even got into a hiss-and-swat session yesterday with his "brother" Chesterfield, who's a big gentle lump of a cat that wouldn't harm a fly.

They're getting along a bit better today, but now Eats-A-Lot is grooming Meep while growling ferociously at her. What do you make of that?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is quite normal. Meep has a different smell on her because of the operation and vet stay. It will wear off in a day or two then things will get back to as they usually are. You could rub a worn item of your clothing on Meep, that might help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering more about the growling while grooming part. Never saw that before. Seems to look like conflicting behavior, and that's what was puzzling me. Maybe it's just a case of"cats is cats," and defies explanation, eh?