What’s up with dr. Elsey’s food?

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use it for my 7 cats but having a terrible time finding it....this is the third time in a year.
Not at chewy or amazon and I live in a small rural area. Nearest big city is 150 mile rt.
What gives...lots of other flavors but no chicken in high protein dry?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I knew! We only use it in small amounts but it's important because our pickier cat will eat anything with Dr. Elsey's on it. We were lucky to get a small bag on Amazon before it ran out. I hope you're able to find some soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m like you...mine are all rescues but you’d think they came from the upper west side instead of an abandoned farm house! Recently I’ve been mixing it with other dry anticipating stuff like this. If I buy the big bags it seems to get old/stale before they eat it all. Seems like this shortage is just chicken because Amazon/chewy seem to have duck, salmon, etc.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the entire pet food business was hit by Covid. We are seeing the severe effects of it now. In addition to many companies changing formulas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hate it for small companies like elsey. I’ve corresponded with them on several occasions. Always there, no elevator music and seem interested in what I have to say...rare these days

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate it for small companies like elsey. I’ve corresponded with them on several occasions. Always there, no elevator music and seem interested in what I have to say...rare these days
I know, they really are very responsive, and the food is great, the only dry food I'd consider feeding the cats, even in the small amounts we give them. I also buy Dr. E's kitty litter: it works really well for our asthmatic cat. Our cats are also rescues: they'd eat anything (I mean that almost literally) when we first adopted them as underfed kittens but now, seven years later, they have very discerning palates. 👑

artiemom artiemom , yes, I think you're right about the industry over all. There's been lots of shortages; those happened before, too, but I don't think there were quite as many. I also noticed that the chicken Pure Bites weren't as good for months -- the pieces were much bigger and more fibrous -- but now they seem to be back to normal. (I buy the bags labelled for dogs because we go through so many of them.)

Fingers crossed for everybody!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
According to their website, it should start showing up again in a couple of weeks. You can also sign up for “in stock” email alerts.
40E2CC63-5365-4D04-9EFF-53485871C630.jpeg

If I buy the big bags it seems to get old/stale before they eat it all.
I divide the big bags into smaller bags, freeze them for three days (to kill off food storage mites), then transfer one at a time to the fridge as I use them. It seems to stay fresh that way. I use it for treats only so a bag lasts a long time.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to their website, it should start showing up again in a couple of weeks. You can also sign up for “in stock” email alerts.
View attachment 389135

I divide the big bags into smaller bags, freeze them for three days (to kill off food storage mites), then transfer one at a time to the fridge as I use them. It seems to stay fresh that way. I use it for treats only so a bag lasts a long time.
Thank you for this, Tobermory! By which I mean both the update (which I hadn't seen) and the tip on dividing up bags of food. I should do that, too.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I put kibble in the "lock & Lock" containers from QVC. It keeps them fresh.

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know there were quite a few bad reviews on Amazon saying Dr. Elsey's chicken kibble made their cats projectile vomit regularly. I experienced the same thing with my cat. Maybe Amazon and Chewy are pulling the products off their shelves?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chewy has 6.6 pound bags of Dr. Elsey's chicken again. We also don't use a ton of it so Tobermory Tobermory , I'm going to take your advice -- thank you! -- and freeze it in small bags.

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just ordered mine from Chewey.

kbstarfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the entire pet food business was hit by Covid. We are seeing the severe effects of it now. In addition to many companies changing formulas.
They have had these problems since I started using it in 2017!!!!!