What's the wild fire situation like where you are?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We currently have 26 active forest fires in Northeastern Ontario alone. Unsure of Southern Ontario, and none in Northwestern as of May 12th. But that's just active fires...we've had 52 in total for this year....and some areas of Ontario (mostly farther north) still have snow! Last year we had 68 fires in total, and considering we're already sitting at 52...I think we may be in for a terrible year.
This is really early for fires and we already have a fire ban in my area due to several in my region...some of which I could see the smoke from my house. The choppers are flying around like crazy, I hear at least 10 a day...patrolling/monitoring I guess?
How's the fire situation like in you areas? Is it worse this year than other years?

We're currently in a mini heat wave...again, weird for this time of year and we've hardly had any rain...I hope things get better soon.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the state has been thoroughly soaked in the last week, so I think we are good for now. Some roads near the river are actually closing in preparation for flooding that is expected this week due to the recent heavy rains.

Last edited:
  • Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just got 2-3 inches of rain in the last week or so, but before that it was BAD. So dry, and it's been really windy lately too. There was one fire about a month ago that started in a farmer's burn barrel (which he shouldn't have been doing on a dry windy day :angryfire:) and covered a few square miles before they got in under control. At least it didn't get any houses.

• Purraise

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wildfires aren't something that happen in Ohio. Drought is very uncommon in Ohio and there isn't enough open land for large wildfires. They tend to be in the Western part of the country. California, Arizona and New Mexico are the ones that have them now and they are very common in those areas.

• Purraise

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have an occasional field fire here but that’s it. We just had quite a few days where it stayed foggy almost all day and rained in between. There was a fire recently near a mountain where DH likes to hike near his hometown. I think they kept it outside the park boundaries and it’s out now.

DH is always careful to check the weather and any burn restrictions before we light the fire pit. Our neighbor across the street has a large field on the property and they were letting people dump brush there and a tree company was parking there. They like to burn their front garden every year but I don’t know how the big piles in the back caught fire once; but there were water tankers and everything on the street. It could have been really bad. Thank the Lord they got it out before there was any damage to anything else!

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Thrilled as our governor has just advocated and put $ towards using beavers on a statewide scale to
preseve habitat and more vitally, WATER. This is good news!