What's The Weather And Temperature Like Where You Live?? - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so cold outside.. I did warm up the car and go out--to recharge the battery.
Man, glad I had thermal underwear, a hat, gloves, heavy ski jacket, heavy jeans, and boots... I look a sight, but who cares.. My hair makes me look like a red headed witch!!
But, in this weather~~

It is 11 degrees, with a windchill of 7 degrees..

so cold.. The grocery store was crazy, as was the parking lot.. people fighting over parking spots, people bumping into each other in the store--or not moving.. It was ridiculous!

One of the signal lights was not working either.. It is on a highway, right at one of the entrance/exits to the shopping center.. What a backup.. tempers are short. There was a Police Cruiser there, but the cop was not getting out of his car. He just blocked the cutoff..

I ended up getting a different laundry soap-perhaps I am allergic to the Arm & Hammer sensitive skin, or they changed their formula.. anyway, I picked up All Free & Clear. It is endorsed by the National Eczema Society..so.. who knows..

Also, got all the fixings for homemade chicken soup.. Yum.. I can make a small pot for me, and freeze leftovers. I like to have some in the freezer, for the winter months.
I do have canned soup, but there is nothing like homemade..

Think I will brave the cold again, in a couple hours for Saturday mass.. I will not be going tomorrow, as the temps are forecast to be even colder, -6 degrees..

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
70° F right now, partly cloudy. And still no moisture.
I know that you on the East coast are thinking you wish for this weather, but come spring/summer when some idiot throws a cigarette out the window and 'poof', you'll be glad you had the snow.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is 15 degrees now, hey it's above zero! But there is a stiff South wind that's making it feel very cold. -3 windchill. But the South wind is blowing warm air up so I won't complain; it's supposed to be above 30 degrees all next week! Heat wave! :yess:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's getting better. I shouldn't complain BUT I'm the biggest wimp in the world when it comes to dealing with cold so I will anyway. :runaround:

upload_2018-1-6_17-10-37.png

Like my animated soul mate, the heat miser, I never want to see a day under 60 degrees. 70 is better. 80 works too.

Stay warm and cuddle a cat- or two or three- or however many you like! :hugs: :purr:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like you went to Market Basket, artiemom artiemom ? I went to Stop and Shop, a regular one not a Super one. The parking lot was mostly empty and it wasn't too busy in the store. The store was restocked pretty well.

It's about 6 F now. Tonight is going to be like -5 F :cold:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
-6 right now 9pm sat nite.

Forgot to check in here.

Thursday was insane. Blowing snow. At least a foot. Drifts up to my hips in front of my truck but no snow on roof. Back of house was sand blasted with snow. I couldn't see at all out of storm door. Snow was stuck to it all the way up. Snow covered 2 feet up door couldn't get it open...the only good thing? Furnace vents were not covered in snow due to high winds...it blew the snow off roof.
20180104_174150.jpg
Poor Honeybees gym outside needs to be dug out. She hangs out under the table but I need to dig it out. It's very deep from pushing snow off roof Wednesday night to prepare for this storm.
20180104_174211.jpg

Furnace cranking out heat. It was cold..24 if I remember? Then when sun set 15 or so. Shoveled deck in the blaring wind. I have these nylon shell wone breaker pants that work the bomb. They will keep you warm by blocking wind. Head sock so only eyes visible. My goose down jacket. And I was comfy. If I dress for it I dont mind. I need another pair of ski goggles...I wear when snow blow or windy. The ones I have scratched to heck.

Then at 8pm power went out. Crap. I had a bad anxiety attack because last time we lost power in big storm it was 2 days without power but it was 34 at night so not a big deal.

I dug out storm supplies...my kerosene heater to make the power come back on...And sleeping bags...lanterns...other stuff..Honeybee was happy to climb into a closet to see what the big deal is.

Texting n emails to find other places to go if not back on in morning...luckily came back at 10pm. By 7am only 3% of the total outage was still without power.. they did a great job getting the 5 towns back online.

Yesterday colder than a witches you know what. Seriously. It can stop. I know I like it cold but this is nuts. I think it was what 8 yesterday? Windy. Last night -4 which I didn't think was a big deal...it was -13 one morning in December and none of news channels was making a big deal about it...

Right now clear skies-6. Wind chill -22. I'm getting used to the cold.

Part of me wants it to stick around but it sure makes heating the homes expensive. And I like not sweating all the time like I normally do...

the truck hates it. The rpms sound like they are out of wack. Always sounds like transmission is trying to shift into a gear but can't...it takes at least 20 min to get it nice and hot. I let it run for 10 min at least.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick said it was -4 F. We should get up to 21 F. Thankfully, that wind has died down.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another cold morning. This time ran the truck while I showered for work. So much better. -9 to -13 depending where you are. The winds still whipping near the coast. Here at work it's brutal walking across a parking lot. I am ready for spring-tell the snow to please just get lost already?! Although it IS pretty and I can see tracks from the animals sooo that's a positive...theres a kitty who has been cruising by in the middle of the night..need a trail cam.

Tomorrow is a heatwave over 30 I think.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We only got about 3 inches of snow. Right now it is 9 degrees. My neighbor cleared my driveway or else I would not be able to get out on the road. I always buy bottle water whether we have bad weather or not and I always have extra food on hand in case I can't get out because of my arthritis.
My kitchen looks like I am a hoarder because of all the food, cat food, bottle water, nuts and bird seed for the squirrels and diet coke I always keep on hand.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It was 32C here today, which is much better than down South. Sydney hit 47C (116F)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We only got about 3 inches of snow. Right now it is 9 degrees. My neighbor cleared my driveway or else I would not be able to get out on the road. I always buy bottle water whether we have bad weather or not and I always have extra food on hand in case I can't get out because of my arthritis.
My kitchen looks like I am a hoarder because of all the food, cat food, bottle water, nuts and bird seed for the squirrels and diet coke I always keep on hand.
Nothing wrong with being prepared-especially if you can't get out as often- AND always need diet coke=I just love an ice cold diet coke in the morning...15+ years now.. I don't drink it all day anymore. but I do enjoy it.

I am still cold lol. Turned up the heat to 75 in the stock room=there's no insulation here at work and the walls are made with metal...it's still cold out. -6°F :cold::cold::cold::cold::cringe:
but have crock pot of chicken soup going-started it yesterday. Perfect for a cold day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 It was 0 degrees when I got up at 7AM. Right now, it is 4 degrees in Revere.
Yes, I did go to Market Basket. Stop and Shop is a bit closer, but I wanted the car to get a good charge/warm up in driving. I do not care for S&S anymore.

Yesterday, I went to 4pm Mass, so I could stay in today. I am glad I did.. I cannot imagine going out in 0 degrees; although yesterday, the wind chill was below zero.

In the process of making a pot of tomato sauce with sausages! Yum...

And will probably make some chicken soup, later..

Yes, it is supposed to warm up, considerably this week, but once I get a chill in me, I just cannot warm up..

Last night, I cracked up the heat to 72 degrees, put a quilt on my bed.. so toasty warm. I really did not want to get out of bed, but Artie was waking me at 6:30AM... my personal alarm clock.. now that the sun is coming up a bit earlier, he does also.. if it is a dark day, he lets me sleep.. unless he has to poop..

I am going to run out at some time to run my car. I think I will try the remote starter when I finish here; and later throw the trash out, and see how the car is doing.. perhaps another ride, just to keep things moving.. just up and down the highway a few times..

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stop and Shop is the closest to me (5 minute walk) so it just makes sense to go there since I don't have a car. In the warmer months I might head further down the street to Shaw's but I don't care for that particular store. The bulk of my groceries are from Stop and Shop with a some things from the independent grocery store, mostly local fruit and veggies and milk and store-made baked goods (way better than a chain supermarket).

It was -3F when I left for work this morning :cold::cold:

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean, except it's my back room. I have 30-50 1gal bottles of water hoarded. Not because of storms so much, but because the power goes out for 16+ hours for no reason. Usually on a nice clear day.

It's a little cooler today, around 60° F and the clouds are thickening up. So maybe we will get some moisture. I have to admit it's kind of nice. Usually around this time of year it's 30/10F with snow.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in Wilmington,NC we got 3' of snow wednesday night. Doesn't sound like much, I know, but for us down here, it kind of is. It's stayed so cold, it's hardly melted. We finally got up to 32 today, w/ a "feels like" 31. Usually, it's been in the twenties during the day at best, w/a "feels like" in the teens! (& single digits at night!) That's pretty cold for NC coast!
It's supposed to finally warm up to the 50's tomorrow, & most of the week, so hopefully, it should be melting!
I know Sammie will be happy! Knowing the storm was coming, I had to get something from the vet for her, otherwise, I knew she'd be meowing & pawing at the door almost constantly. .....driving me crazy! I have taken her out a couple of times on the harness for about 30 minutes. She finally walked a little in it. Before she crouched down & froze, & wouldn't walk. She didn't much. Just a little, then lays down, but it's a start!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
37F rain, temp suppose to drop and give us sleet and freezing rain. Today is the first time we have been above freezing in about 3 weeks. 50's by Thursday

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On my way to work at 9am it was -4*F.
When I left work at 4pm, it was 13*F.
When I went to my second job at 6pm, it was 8*F.
When I got out and rode home after 10pm, it was 13*F.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It was ten degrees when I got up this morning. But that is some warmer than it has been earlier in the week. We have had extreme cold ever since Wednesday when the snow and ice came. They say we will get a thaw tomorrow and I am ready for it. When it gets up to fifty later this week, it will seem like a heat wave.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is 32F at 4:30 in the morning. We are supposed to get snow, rain or a mix. I hope it is either snow or rain and not the mix. It's supposed to be up to 50 and rain Wednesday through Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.