What's the deal with cats and sheepskin?

zazi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats get all kneady, purry and drooly every time they come into contact with sheepskin....

I have one cat who sleeps in a little sheepskin basket next to my pillow everynight.... From the way she purrs kneads and dribbles when she's in the basket you'd think she diead and gone to heaven (touch wood)...

ullis_p

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First encounter with sheepskin was very funny. I tried to put them on it and the literarely (sp?) jumped sideways to get off it but after that they loved it and wouldn't leave it alone (neither did bugs so we ended up throwing it away)

juniper

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have anything made of sheepskin, so mine have never encountered it. That's interesting, though, maybe I'll have to get them something made of it just to see what they do!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zazi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

sphinx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female cat loves leather - she will actually get as much of her as possible in a new shoe and purr for hours!

boxedfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sphinx

My female cat loves leather - she will actually get as much of her as possible in a new shoe and purr for hours!
mine too.. she's using my leather bag as a scratching post!!!! haha

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Maybe it's like snuggling up to mommy!!
That's it I bet, My Miniman trys to nurse on it all the time and he's almost a year old, My Basset Loves it to, she will crawl down under it on her bed like a sleeping bag

nyzki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i was looking at ariels website, and she is quite photogenic, and by the way what breed is she? Shes lovely
Nyzki

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've read that cats may be attracted to wool or sheep skin because the odor of lanolin in wool is similar to the odor of the fur around the nipples of the kitten's mother.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I two sheepskin rugs - one of each side of the bed. Loki will do anything NOT to have to step on it - he will make a big circle around them. Can't stand the feel I guess!!

prissykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL Patches quickly took over the sheepskin car-polishing mitt I bought and mashes it in her bed. Also our gang has taken over a sheepskin saddle pad that was quite expensive and I never got to use on my horse!

I actually had a sheepskin rug but it began shedding and I would see the cats walking around with tufts of sheepskin hanging out of the corner of their mouths so then i knew that was time to throw the rug out!

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He had a sheepskin bed once and he liked it, but wasn't crazy about it. What he REALLY loves is furry fabrics that are really soft. He will kneed and purr into those.

danalee2682

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i got my sheepskin rug from IKEA. they do have locations in canada. not sure if one is near you though.

clinton loves my skeepskin rug. i ended up having to put it away though because he would bury his head in it and try to eat it. i didn't want him consuming the furries. that makes so much sense about the lanolin and why he liked it so much. he was weaned too early and used to suck my fingers for a long time, so i guess the rug smelled like mom. nifty.