🦃 What's the closest to RAW commercial-canned food ?

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello guys

my cat has sensitive stomach and always had loose stool UNTIL I switched to RAW (Darwin's Turkey).

since starting raw, his stool became just perfect.

I was really happy.

But after a bit he started vomiting and now every time I give him raw, he vomits.

If I give him canned food, he never vomit but stool
is soft.

so:
- I can't give him raw cause it's too hard to digest for his stomach
- canned/cooked food has too much fillings and it gives him soft stool

What is a good (cooked) compromise with high meat content and no much fillers ?
Rawz canned maybe ? Anything cheaper ?

thanks a lot

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know their ingredient list currently, but you could try Primal maybe?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok, I didn't know if maybe they'd expanded their line at all. Hang in there!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe the turkey isn't agreeing with your cat's tummy now. Darwin's has chicken and lamb varieties if you've never tried those. You can also look at other brands of raw food.Or make your own. Has the vet ruled out any medical issue that maybe causing the vomiting such as IBD?

Last edited:

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Wasn’t your cat doing well on the supplement mix plus cooked chicken? Or am I remembering wrong? Can you got back to that?
There is no canned food that is like raw because all canned food is cooked. Raw food is easier to digest by virtue of being raw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes he was doing fine with that but it was really impossible to handle all shopping, cleaning, cooking and portioning in my small kitchen. He eats a lot, he is a big cat.

I'm gonna try Rawz canned I think

otherwise I'll find the most convenient way to cook at home again

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Instinct or Dr. Elsey's are good quality canned foods. Tiki Cat is also good, moreso the after dark flavors.

Maybe the turkey isn't agreeing with your cat's tummy now. Darwin's has chicken and lamb varieties if you've never tried those. You can also look at other brands of raw food.Or make your own. Has the vet ruled out any medical issue that maybe causing the vomiting such as IBD?
Yes, it's entirely possible it was the Turkey that was doing it. Raw is always easier to digest because Cats are designed to eat nothing but raw meat, so if a Cat has digestive issues with raw food it's most likely the type of meat that's causing it.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Give Rawz a try. I know some people have had good luck with it with their cats with digestive issues. But, I think it’s important to feed at least 2 different brands to ensure nutritional completeness. So I wouldn’t do solely Rawz if you can help it.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
You could also do partly Rawz and partly cooked chicken with Alnutrition. Whatever you do, just make sure you transition slowly to new food.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat with life long tummy issues did real well with Rawz Turkey. Also Stella and Chewy's Turkey (canned/boxed). He's eating about 1/2 his calories now from those two canned foods and the other 1/2 from the homemade turkey that I make him.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try the Darwin in Lamb. It is a boneless option. It is entirely possible that it was the bone in the Darwin turkey that was causing him to vomit.

Then again, not all cats like red meats. Mine can't be bothered with lamb or venison which makes her protein selections limited.

Rawz turkey is great food. But it is high in fat and that may not help with the soft stools. See if he will eat Rawz rabbit.

You may also try feeding these foods in combination rather than looking for the holy grail. Some raw will help his poops and some canned should help dilute the bone content thus possibly helping against the vomiting.

My Krista loves the Rawz turkey but her stools have been very loose lately. I'm trying to get her to eat more of the rabbit to bring the fat content down a little and hopefully firm up her stools again.