Whats the black stuff near my cats eye

Milo_Leo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have try to google to find out if i can do something to help but i cant find anything on it. It been going on for awhile but the other day look like it was bleeding.
I help her to get it off sometime it easy other times it stuck there. I just want know if its something to take her to vet over or if there something to help i can buy

315176915_621454939765877_6724630408294069376_n.jpg

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have try to google to find out if i can do something to help but i cant find anything on it. It been going on for awhile but the other day look like it was bleeding.
I help her to get it off sometime it easy other times it stuck there. I just want know if its something to take her to vet over or if there something to help i can buy
This looks like it needs the attention of the vet. Please bring her in to the vet ASAP. It could be an infection. Do not get anything OTC and self medicate as yet and let the vet have a proper diagnosis on the problem.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
does she open her eyes? If not it may be a scratch. if she has trouble opening here eye it needs to be seen. The discharge is bacterial because it is not clear. Bacterial infection turns black when it is exposed to air. The vet will most likely give you Terramycin eye ointment, it will clear it up. You can order it on Walmart online too I saw. I have tried a lot of home remedies that don't work. Her third eyelid may be partially covering her eye too, that is normal. To apply ointment, you just pull gently down on teh bottom lid until it forms a pouch. Then you apply (drop) a thin ribbon of ointment in that pouch. never touch the eye itself. Please keep us posted!

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Way too much discharge to be eye boogers like us humans get from allergies, etc. Please take your kitty to the vet asap. I know in humans that any eye infection/injury can cause permanent damage very quickly if not treated immediately.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Milo_Leo Milo_Leo I agree with the above. If she's not opening her eye or squinting badly, this is an emergency and she needs seen ASAP.

If this is ongoing, she still needs seen at the next available appointment at your regular vet. This amount of discharge is not normal.

A few small or tint black flakes or clear discharge now and then is normal. Or even for a week or two. However, when it's this large amount it can be a uri that needs monitoring by a professional or an injury or bacterial infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Milo_Leo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Milo_Leo Milo_Leo I agree with the above. If she's not opening her eye or squinting badly, this is an emergency and she needs seen ASAP.

If this is ongoing, she still needs seen at the next available appointment at your regular vet. This amount of discharge is not normal.

A few small or tint black flakes or clear discharge now and then is normal. Or even for a week or two. However, when it's this large amount it can be a uri that needs monitoring by a professional or an injury or bacterial infection.
She can open her eyes fine it was shut as i used flash so it could be seen on camera as it hard when flashes isnt on i will try hard to get her to vet i didnt know it was bad as mum thought it was just like the stuff we get sometimes as my dog has it but vets say he fine when we asked about it. But i take her to see if it different for her