What’s The Best Cat Litter?

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m using the World’s Best Cat Litter but it’s not good at odor control. It smells really bad after a day or two even though I clean frequently and use an air filter. It’s not a poop or pee smell it’s more of the smell of the actual litter mixed with that. It’s not good at clumping either. Since my cat sits on it when he poops/pees his butt stinks.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good cat litter? One that doesn’t stink and will help my cat’s stinky butt? I would like to use something scented but I’m not sure if that’s okay.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Scented is something I try and avoid as I wonder about chemicals.
In my opinion the best is low dust, low tracking that your cat likes.
I personally want clumping so I use a clay litter but I hate the dust so I mix in littermaid's walnut. It absorbs the dust and my cat and I aren't sneezing anymore :)

When And How To Switch To A New Type Of Litter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have found Fresh Step non-clumping to be the most effective odor control litter. Personally, I can no longer use it because I have an asthmatic cat (I use Dr. Elsey now, but it is not great for odor control).

Fresh Step Hawaiin Aloha is good if you prefer clumping.

Tidy Cats 24/7 (red label) is very good odor control (it is non-clumping, but I think they have it in a clumping formula).

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the smell of Naturally Fresh walnut shell litter. It’s a little dusty and it doesn’t clump as well as they claim so I mix in some Dr Elsey’s. About 50/50.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Ever Clean is unscented but the litter still smells good anyway. Its expensive though. I really liked it when I bought it on sale. I also liked the grass seed litter that I tried, but only one cat likes it. It smells good and absorbs odor better than the clay I think.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve tried nearly every litter Petco sells, corn, walnut, crystal, pine pellets, grass seed, the dozen clay litters they offer, etc and as much as I want to love the biodegradable safe ones my cats just didn’t. The ones I really love are Ever clean and Lucy’s cats incredible litter. Both are completely amazing in odor control, lack of dust, clumping, and how long it can be used. With two cats and three boxes I would scoop daily and change completely every two weeks and even then the litter probably could have went longer. They’re boss pricey litters but they last a really long time if you upkeep the box everyday.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In my household, the walnut litter mixed with smart cat is the best

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Finding the best litter for your little family is SO important! OkoCat was suggested by the lovely folks here, and I have been using it now for several months, with no plan to change! Let me give you my secret recipe!:)
Seriously I am SO sensitive to smells, and the texture of clay litters.

OkoCat Litters ROCK!
After reading MANY reviews online, one gentleman said to mix approximately 30% clumping longhair, with 70%soft clumping. Everyone’s reviews said they loved this mix SO much, but the number one complaint was tracking- said to be worse than any other litter.
I was determined since I cannot have any sand based product in my home. I found the answer!
The Booda dome litter box, had stairs that the cat must use to get in and out of the box. The steps have texture and little gutters that keep the litter in the box.
It’s an amazing combination! I also keep a catch mat in front, but very little makes it that far.
When I scoop I sweep the steps with a hand broom and tip any loose from the mat and the steps back in the box, and NO tracking!
I also just started adding a handful of Crystal litter to the mix (since I had leftover bags to use up) and it keeps the wood dry and fresh in the summer humidity.
Adjust if you like or need, I find this just works the best. You don’t need to do all of this of course, and it’s a lot to buy but then I have a ton of litter and don’t have to buy more often. Also, the scoop mentioned is best for the wood litter since most scoops are made for clay litters. The litter itself is very easy to carry and environmentally friendly. It’s specially mulled wood bits and I like that I don’t have to carry heavy boxes, and I’m not putting heavy sacks of sand in my trash either. I also use a big measuring cup to put it in the box to avoid creating any dust when I fill it. I’ve also not had any dust with this box, but I wouldn’t try this litter without the steps to clean their feet off because that would be a mess. There is no smell in my house, and I’m so glad. The only issue is the litter has become so popular it’s sold out often. :/
Try it and I hope you like it! :)

Magic Litter Mix:

30% OkoCat clumping long hair
Okocat Natural Wood Long Hair Breeds Cat Litter

70% Oko Cat Clumping soft paw
Okocat Super Soft Clumping Wood Cat Litter

Handful of Crystal litter (keeps dry)

Booda Dome cat box (With Stairs!!)
Booda Petmate Dome Cleanstep Cat Box, Brushed Nickel
Scoop
Catit Cat Litter Scoop, Warm Gray
Catch mat

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve tried nearly every litter Petco sells, corn, walnut, crystal, pine pellets, grass seed, the dozen clay litters they offer, etc and as much as I want to love the biodegradable safe ones my cats just didn’t. The ones I really love are Ever clean and Lucy’s cats incredible litter. Both are completely amazing in odor control, lack of dust, clumping, and how long it can be used. With two cats and three boxes I would scoop daily and change completely every two weeks and even then the litter probably could have went longer. They’re boss pricey litters but they last a really long time if you upkeep the box everyday.
Is there only 1 ever clean? Can you post a link to it? Any white paw prints with that one? How is it with dust.?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Fresh Step is the best. It contains Febreeze, and when first poured, it has a somewhat strong odor, but that fades after a day or two. I top off the boxes when I clean, and there is never any odor from the pans, even if I am unable to clean them for a day or two. One of my pans is in the kitchen, and I can guarantee it doesn't smell. I haven't noticed any dust from it, but the cats do track it. I keep a dustpan handy and sweep when I scoop.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think Fresh Step is the best. It contains Febreeze, and when first poured, it has a somewhat strong odor, but that fades after a day or two. I top off the boxes when I clean, and there is never any odor from the pans, even if I am unable to clean them for a day or two. One of my pans is in the kitchen, and I can guarantee it doesn't smell. I haven't noticed any dust from it, but the cats do track it. I keep a dustpan handy and sweep when I scoop.
I use fresh step now and while it’s really good at odor control my cats leave white paw prints everywhere from walking on it. And I scoop at least twice daily

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there only 1 ever clean? Can you post a link to it? Any white paw prints with that one? How is it with dust.?
Ever Clean Extra Strength Unscented Premium Clumping Clay Cat Litter
This. I only use the unscented extra strength. The way I see it all the scented stuff makes ME nauseous and have a coughing fit, can’t imagine what my cats think.
As far as dust the only dust I’ve noticed is when you first pour the litter in. There’s a small cloud that dissipates quickly. I had hard floors in my kitchen and my cats would leave smudge marks on that but only in a foot around the box. A quick fix with a rug or litter catcher rug for them to wipe their paws on.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
My vote is for SmartCat grass litter.

Juliesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can anyone tell me why I’m finding cat food in my fresh step litter? It appears to be nine lives . But I opened it yesterday it’s new litter from Walmart and my cat cannot shove food in the box of that high amount and Julie’s eating the food now . Thanks

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea how it got there, but don't let your cat eat the food. Fresh Step is a clumping litter, and if there is any on the food, it could cause major digestive upset.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have zeroed In on a&h slide. Only one I have found that does not track bad,doesn't stink,and no dust. It took me 17 yrs to find the right one!