What's the appropriate age for spaying?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thread originally started by Annie

I've read differing articles as to the appropriate age for a kitten to be spayed. What is your opinion?

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a good question, I am planning on taking some of my female cats in to be spayed next month, and they were born in May of this year. The vet said that would be a good time, but I'm sure they could have been done sooner too. I wonder when is the appropriate age?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
The earliest I heard of is 2-3 months. The latest would be 7-8 months.

It's much better to spay a cat before she ges into her first heat. So, I would say 5 months is a good age to have her spayed.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's probably a good thing I'm getting mine done next month, sounds like they should have been done sooner!! Our local vet is so busy though...and he deals with cattle and other farm animals so much he doesnt have much time for the little guys. I think he's pretty good though.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is NEVER to late to get a cat spayed or nuetered. In my oppinion we only say there is an appropriate age to curb unwanted behavior and pregnancy. All of my cats are spayed or neutered by the age of 6 months. However I am a breeder so I have 2 whole females. They will be spayed when the time is right weather it be 4 or 6 years.