What's on Your Mind Thread - 2024

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Our back-fence neighbor has a large black walnut tree almost on the property line- probably why we have so many squirrels hanging around- and I have encountered roots from that thing more than 30 feet into our yard. Too, there is supposed to be some substance given off by the roots that can kill certain plants. Lilacs, for example, can grow on a bowling ball, it seems, but every one that my late mother-in-law planted anywhere near one of the black walnut trees on their property died. My only problem, squirrels aside, is the shade it casts, which limits the area that I can use for growing things like tomatoes, squash, and cucumbers, to name a few. Even on the longest days, about 25% of the back yard gets only 4 or 5 hours of direct sun. Too, the shade means I have to constantly battle the moss on the garage roof. A couple of years ago the guy had a crew come in to trim some of the lower branches, but none of those that hang over our yard.
Have you discussed having the overhanging limbs trimmed at your expense? That might work. And if there are branches over your actual garage, you might have some legal grounds, as it poses a danger to your property.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you discussed having the overhanging limbs trimmed at your expense? That might work. And if there are branches over your actual garage, you might have some legal grounds, as it poses a danger to your property.
I have one of those combination lopper/ pole saws that can telescope out 12 feet, and have trimmed back those smaller overhanging branches that I can reach, but the bigger ones would require a bucket lift, and there ain't no way that one of those could access my back yard, given the layout. That's what they used on the neighbor's side, and even there, they couldn't get closer than about 20 feet, as the tree stands behind his garage. On our side, they couldn't get within 50 feet.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday and for the last 20 yrs + we've been in this neighborhood and for hard telling how many decades a black walnut tree.View attachment 477023
View attachment 477025Today, because it was dirtying her pool, even though as I mentioned to her in the past other people have kept the pool beautiful with the tree there. View attachment 477024Could have just trimmed but she destroyed. I hate our new neighbor.
:gaah: :cloudy:
I am so sorry it looked like a truly glorious tree.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday and for the last 20 yrs + we've been in this neighborhood and for hard telling how many decades a black walnut tree.View attachment 477023
View attachment 477025Today, because it was dirtying her pool, even though as I mentioned to her in the past other people have kept the pool beautiful with the tree there. View attachment 477024Could have just trimmed but she destroyed. I hate our new neighbor.
:gaah: :cloudy:
Makes you want to plant a Black Walnut on your side of the fence, doesn’t it? Maybe just a little closer to their pool.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I would've been homeless now if I had a mortgage to pay!My first home I put 50% down,2nd one paid cash and so on- this Condo I bought for my mother and figured eventually I'd retire here....my Dad used to tell me your monthly bills should not exceed your weekly earnings,I can't see that even possible for this younger generation ( they need 2incomes these days) The scales are really tipped unevenly
Remember back when the words "Working poor" weren't part of our vocabulary? Or the norm 😿

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Some limbs hollow (home to squirrels, owls, woodpeckers etc...) BUT most strong and solid, black in center is where the name 'Black' Walnut comes from. Went to the 2nd story balcony at the apartments next door to take the shots from above. We lived in the upstairs apartment at the other end for over 20 yrs. Alley running South right outside bedroom window, watched that tree all that time. It was so cool watching how the leaves gracefully danced in the wind. Look how huge the trunk left in the yard is, that's a 8ft fence it's against. Blood boiling.
20240525_212252.jpg
20240525_212315.jpg
20240525_212436.jpg
20240525_212346.jpg
20240525_221502.jpg
20240525_212535.jpg

20240525_222959.jpg
She tore down the weathered gray fence, which was not falling down, replaced it with this brand new one, had all greenery all along the outside of the fence mowed down a week or so ago, goodbye any bunny nests and any other critters living there in addition to several small Fall berry bearing bushes.
And yes I know it's her house and she can do what she wants...as Gypsy dad keeps reminding me when I break out cussing.

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember back when the words "Working poor" weren't part of our vocabulary? Or the norm 😿
Remember 'working poor'? My family lived it, back when there was no such thing as a social safety net; no Medicare for doctor bills, no food stamps, no free lunches at school, wearing other peoples' cast off clothing, being teased by other kids for having patched clothes. Yes, we had the farm, but my father had to sell it- a farm that had been in the family for over a hundred years- because working an outside job, plus the farm work, was killing him. That, and trying to provide for 7 kids.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Remember 'working poor'? My family lived it, back when there was no such thing as a social safety net; no Medicare for doctor bills, no food stamps, no free lunches at school, wearing other peoples' cast off clothing, being teased by other kids for having patched clothes. Yes, we had the farm, but my father had to sell it- a farm that had been in the family for over a hundred years- because working an outside job, plus the farm work, was killing him. That, and trying to provide for 7 kids.
I'm so sorry. When I was a kid I had relatives and knew folks who were working poor but I'd not heard the actual phrase used til I was an adult.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. When I was a kid I had relatives and knew folks who were working poor but I'd not heard the actual phrase used til I was an adult.
Don't be sorry; if anything, it toughened us up so that in later life, we could " Suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous Fortune" and keep on with our lives without melting down into a puddle of goo.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
We had government surplus food and church donation barrel clothes. unpasteurized milk from the neighbors cow and all the fruits and vegetables we could grow and can.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had government surplus food and church donation barrel clothes. unpasteurized milk from the neighbors cow and all the fruits and vegetables we could grow and can.
I remember those days of drinking raw milk, as our supply was whatever was left over after the milk cans were filled for transport to the dairy. It didn't seem to do us any harm. Too, that was in the days before the widespread use of antibiotics or growth hormones on the cows.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember those days of drinking raw milk, as our supply was whatever was left over after the milk cans were filled for transport to the dairy. It didn't seem to do us any harm. Too, that was in the days before the widespread use of antibiotics or growth hormones on the cows.
People today don’t know that milk straight from the cow smells like cow.