What's on your Mind Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe I can have DD try that for me. I was concerned about it but the first night I was sleeping pretty good when DH woke me up for church. And I had a good nap yesterday.

Mattress shopping in always so awkward to me. Some sales person watching you lay down on beds.:crazy: I managed it pregnant once. Of course DS had no issues with it and our stop was unplanned so he ended up playing games on my phone in a corner after he used my data watching a movie.:rolleyes2:

Mattresses just don’t seem to be lasting as long and that’s annoying too.:sigh:
I have had a horrible time finding the right mattresses. When I bought my adjustable bed I bought what seemed in the store to be a comfortable mattress to go within it. Within a couple weeks I had a terrible backache every morning and realized it was way too soft. They didn’t do returns so I bought another firmer mattress but that one gave me hip pain that only got worse as weeks went by. I really couldnt afford another mattress but couldn’t sleep on the one I had so out of desperation I bought a cheap bed in a box online. That was about five years ago and it is not just amazingly comfortable but the most comfortable I have ever had.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had a horrible time finding the right mattresses. When I bought my adjustable bed I bought what seemed in the store to be a comfortable mattress to go within it. Within a couple weeks I had a terrible backache every morning and realized it was way too soft. They didn’t do returns so I bought another firmer mattress but that one gave me hip pain that only got worse as weeks went by. I really couldnt afford another mattress but couldn’t sleep on the one I had so out of desperation I bought a cheap bed in a box online. That was about five years ago and it is not just amazingly comfortable but the most comfortable I have ever had.
I was so tempted to insist we try one of those! But afraid to get something and hate it. I did find an article that said basically what you did about breaking it in. DH and I were both starting to feel uncomfortable in our old bed but we’ve always liked different firmness and gone somewhere in the middle.

We tried adding a topper that made things worse for me. So we got me a softer one that helped enough and cut the original in half to fit DH’s side. But meanwhile over the last 3 months DH has been alternating adding the second half of that topper and wood slats under the toppers! With them his neck feels good but his back hurts. Without his back was ok but his neck hurt. My topper made it hotter and harder to get out. So I’m really hoping I won’t have to add it back to the bed like DH has. What a frustrating mess.:disappointed:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dry mouth from meds can be helped with specific mouthwashes/rinses, not sure if you've given them any thought.
I bought a bottle of Biotene today, and it definitely makes my mouth more comfortable than it’s been in a long time. The pharmacist was much more helpful than the doctor.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I was so tempted to insist we try one of those! But afraid to get something and hate it. I did find an article that said basically what you did about breaking it in. DH and I were both starting to feel uncomfortable in our old bed but we’ve always liked different firmness and gone somewhere in the middle.

We tried adding a topper that made things worse for me. So we got me a softer one that helped enough and cut the original in half to fit DH’s side. But meanwhile over the last 3 months DH has been alternating adding the second half of that topper and wood slats under the toppers! With them his neck feels good but his back hurts. Without his back was ok but his neck hurt. My topper made it hotter and harder to get out. So I’m really hoping I won’t have to add it back to the bed like DH has. What a frustrating mess.:disappointed:
What I bought when I had the too hard bed was a latex topper (online from Sleep on Latex). They are very supportive but bouncy and it did help the hip pain. And unlike memory foam they aren’t hot. Worth taking look at.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What I bought when I had the too hard bed was a latex topper (online from Sleep on Latex). They are very supportive but bouncy and it did help the hip pain. And unlike memory foam they aren’t hot. Worth taking look at.
I'll look that up! As of now the exchange on the stained mattres is on hold and we're going back to the store to see if I like something better. I slept ok last night. DH slept on my side until I came to bed and thinks its better. So likely I'll be getting a softer one and he will take mine. Craziness.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I had a night. After I tripped and hurt my hip Saturday morning, it was progressively getting worse until today I felt like I could barely move and wanted to cry every time I moved it. So after J's nap we went to an orthopedic urgent care that refused to see me because of the pregnancy, so we called the midwife's office who basically said they couldn't help in the office and I'd have to go to the ER.

So I spent 4 hours at the ER, freaked out about signing an x-ray release because they could only 95% cover the baby, found out my hip was not broken (I wasn't sure how it could have been based on my fall, but you never know) and was sent home with a diagnosis of hip strain and told to rest, use heat,and Tylenol, and if it doesn't start improving I'll have to look into physical therapy.

So that felt like an expensive waste.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you really want someone to say "Oh my goodness! Your hip is broken! Into the hospital, stat!"

It's not a waste. You got an answer. Your worry was addressed with a pretty reassuring answer. Clearly, no ballet dancing at this time.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oy. Its good you got it looked at so you KNOW you didn’t leave something untreated or improperly treated. Especially with a delivery coming in a couple months. I hope you’re feeling better ASAP! I know resting is hard with an active toddler! :hugs:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I am finding that ER's and Urgent Care are for real emergencies. And not as good as they used to be. I think Covid changed medicine for the worse.
I am glad you got it checked out. but I wonder, since you are so close to delivery; if your pelvic ligaments are loosening.
I wonder..
A bone bruise is horrible. I swear it hurts as much as a break.
I think that because you are pregnant, there is not much they can do for you. It is ridiculous, but true...
Physical Therapy may be your best bet.. but, yet again, you are close to your due date. ...
dam..
Did you contact your PCP? I am wondering if they can be of more help; but, again-- in my recent experience, they are overwhelmed, also.. Medicine is not what it used to be. not at all.. I was just discussing this with a friend of mine.

At least you know that it is not broken.. most likely just a bone bruise. OUCH... ❤.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
worried about gf's health she has been running herself ragged everyday since her mom went to er and was later placed into a convalescent home. her mom is back in an er again.so now she is at the hospital all day with her mom. which i totally understand and support i just dont like the idea of her in a place full of germs while under so much emotional and mental stress everyday.all i can do is hen peck :lol: at her every night to eat and sleep early after making sure she eats a good meal.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you really want someone to say "Oh my goodness! Your hip is broken! Into the hospital, stat!"

It's not a waste. You got an answer. Your worry was addressed with a pretty reassuring answer. Clearly, no ballet dancing at this time.
I was hoping urgent care could just feel around and tell me it wasn't broken so I wouldn't have to pay an ER bill, really.

Oy. Its good you got it looked at so you KNOW you didn’t leave something untreated or improperly treated. Especially with a delivery coming in a couple months. I hope you’re feeling better ASAP! I know resting is hard with an active toddler! :hugs:
I'm feeling so much better this morning I'm feeling extra abashed about making an ER run last night. Idk how much anxiety was making it worse (especially after my husband had suggested it might be a hairline fracture), or if actually all the sitting I did was what helped. Like, I literally could not stand at the stove yesterday without wanting to cry from how much pain I was in and now I'm walking almost normally.

Yeah, I am finding that ER's and Urgent Care are for real emergencies. And not as good as they used to be. I think Covid changed medicine for the worse.
I am glad you got it checked out. but I wonder, since you are so close to delivery; if your pelvic ligaments are loosening.
I wonder..
A bone bruise is horrible. I swear it hurts as much as a break.
I think that because you are pregnant, there is not much they can do for you. It is ridiculous, but true...
Physical Therapy may be your best bet.. but, yet again, you are close to your due date. ...
dam..
Did you contact your PCP? I am wondering if they can be of more help; but, again-- in my recent experience, they are overwhelmed, also.. Medicine is not what it used to be. not at all.. I was just discussing this with a friend of mine.

At least you know that it is not broken.. most likely just a bone bruise. OUCH... ❤.
I never got a new PCP when we moved, so that's something I need to look into. It just hasn't been a priority.

Right now I'm just going to take it slow the next couple days. I thought I'd been resting more, but I remembered I'd been up and down the basement stairs doing laundry, and lifting J a lot which was quite painful, and I had to chase her several times yesterday morning which I'm sure aggravated things. So I'm going to be more mindful to sit as much as possible.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Thought of Game Misconduct today as am learning the Banana Boat Song on Ukulele…never knew it had the lyrics “beautiful bunch of ripe banana, hide the deadly, black tarantula!” …but come to think of it, have heard about the odd tarantula showing up in the supermarket.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I slacked on the PCP thing when my kids were little. No one wanted to touch a pregnant woman and then it was just such a hassle to take kids because I didn’t have a sitter without asking my mom to miss work. Of course then Covid came and taking my kids wasn’t an option. It’s just hard for moms without much support.

I was working in healthcare before my kids were born so my perspective is that Covid just accelerated a decline that was already in progress. But that’s a discussion for another thread probably. At least my latest doctor is young enough to stay around. I chose to use a primary group through the hospital system just because I don’t have to go searching when someone moves on me again. I’ve had 4 primary doctors in the last 5/6 years. 🤪

I’m glad you’re feeling better Lari Lari . I remember when I was a kid saying my stomach hurt at my grandparents. My grandma was beyond a champion worrier. Like the coach of a champion worrier. I remember my grandpa and eventually BOTH my (divorced) parents standing around me before being taken to my primary doctor. And then getting there and telling him I felt better. :lol: He said it always works that way!

What I don’t remember is actually being in much pain.:dunno::rolleyes2: Probably had to have a sit in the bathroom or something.:lol:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thought of Game Misconduct today as am learning the Banana Boat Song on Ukulele…never knew it had the lyrics “beautiful bunch of ripe banana, hide the deadly, black tarantula!” …but come to think of it, have heard about the odd tarantula showing up in the supermarket.
I remember that line (though I always heard it as “highly deadly black tarantula” from hearing that song as a kid!

Status
Not open for further replies.