What's on your Mind Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
game misconduct game misconduct , He said, as far as he knows that vinegaroon care doesn't change much from species to species. You can't keep them like you do tarantula's. They get rather large (up to 3.5" long and live up to 9 years). He only has experience with the desert species and they are not fond of water, but they need access to drinking water. (he's not sure about the Thai species) They like rocks and things to climb on. Forest substrate.
He doesn't have much experience with arthropods, and this is based on his experience with the desert species. He also doesn't know if this species burrows, but he thinks they probably do.

I know this probably doesn't help much...sorry.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
game misconduct game misconduct , He said, as far as he knows that vinegaroon care doesn't change much from species to species. You can't keep them like you do tarantula's. They get rather large (up to 3.5" long and live up to 9 years). He only has experience with the desert species and they are not fond of water, but they need access to drinking water. (he's not sure about the Thai species) They like rocks and things to climb on. Forest substrate.
He doesn't have much experience with arthropods, and this is based on his experience with the desert species. He also doesn't know if this species burrows, but he thinks they probably do.

I know this probably doesn't help much...sorry.
it helps thank you both for the time and help

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm looking over my kid's lesson plans for today. Poor DD has both a history test and a summative assessment in Literature that's supposed to take 60-80 minutes. I feel like I should bake her brownies or something as an apology. The history test is 50 questions including essays and they usually take time too. :sorry::doh:

Tomorrow she starts reading Night by Elie Wiesel for the novel unit. At least that will be done before the research paper in writing? ;)

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you know….

If you sign a direct deposit ach agreement with a company, it gives them nearly carte blanche access to your account? To deposit credits and to withdraw debits?

So here’s the deal… storytime

My husband works freelance in the entertainment industry as a lighting designer and programmer. Big production companies hire him to make things look pretty at their clients events.

Many years ago the production companies used to hire freelancers and just add them into their payroll. Then one of them got in bigtime trouble with the government for not paying their taxes properly. So, all the big companies began to insist that the freelancers create their own businesses, pay their own taxes, licenses, and carry at least 2 million dollar insurance policies. So we did that.

We have been a completely autonomous entity since 2010.

For the last 13 years production companies would hire us, we would invoice, and they’d send a check. Easy peasy.
Now the production companies want all of their venders/freelancers to sign on to ACH direct deposit. I read the agreements they sent and they all say the same thing: we give them our bank info, and they have permission to deposit and withdraw funds. That set my hackles up.

I told everyone I knew what that agreement said. Everyone said “nuh uh! They can deposit, but they can’t withdraw!”
So I did some research. Everything I looked up said exactly what I thought.

So yesterday we went to the bank to get it straight from the horses mouth.

The ACH system works exactly the way I said, across all banks, nationwide. If you sign an ACH deposit agreement, it gives permission to deposit and withdraw funds. A company can make a deposit and, if they think it’s necessary, they can reverse the deposit without notifying you. It gets worse: they can even overdraw the amount.
No joke.
If a company deposits $1000, then decides they need to “make a correction”, they can withdraw $1500.
Of course you can dispute it, but in the meantime, the money is still gone.
This also puts them in the position to determine the terms of payment, which is backwards according to basic contract law. Basic contract law says the vender, not the client, determines terms of payment.

And here’s the thing, this is one company asking another company to do this. Not asking, actually, requiring it because they are “going paperless” and are no longer going to print out paper checks.
So, even though we are all autonomous companies, the big guys want to treat us all like we are again on their payroll.

:cloudy: :fuming: :angryfire:

It also means giving several large production companies, with very large staff, our banking account information. So that info will just be floating around for anyone to hack.
So, we are now going to have to get a separate account just for this purpose. And as soon as a deposit comes in I’m yanking it over to our main. Because I’d rather pay a potential nsf fee than allow some big fish to shortchange us.

The rest of our freelance friends can be lemmings, but not me.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I would start writing your elected officials and the news media. People need to be aware!
Hah!
I tried that once
Ready for another story?

Once upon a time we thought it would be a good idea to refinance our double mortgage into one.
So we go through the rigamarole of finding a mortgage broker and all the lovely negotiations that go with that.

It finally comes down to doing the paperwork, and I insist on 3 days to review it all before I sign anything.
So I’m looking over the 24 page mortgage document, wondering why it was so long because our original mortgage docs were only half that. And I notice a bunch of HOA style language added in, which was extraneous because the property is already under an HOA… okay, fine, I get it.
But I also notice some language that brings in some third party called “MERS” that is claiming an interest in the deed.

Who the heck is this MERS entity, and why are they butting in between me and the bank?
When I asked my broker this question, she said “Oh, they’re just a company that produces and processes the paperwork”. But that still did not answer the question of why they would claim an interest in my mortgage/deed.

So I dug into it.
And the deeper I dug, the more horrified I became.

MERS was an acronym for Mortgage Electronic Recording System, which sounds innocuous enough, but still begs the question of why such a service would claim interest in my money and property.
Turns out that this so called service was owned and operated by an association comprised of all the big banks. And the real function was for them to be able to trade mortgages amongst themselves without recording the transactions through the courts.
Furthermore, it was a stated goal on the MERS website that they wanted to control at least 90% of the mortgages nationally.

Now this was a huge red flag for me, as I had worked for a title insurance company at one time. I was the court runner, so I understood exactly how this was supposed to work. If those transactions are not publicly recorded, the consumer would have no idea who held interest or who was responsible for managing their loans.

So I wrote to the state AG, expressing my concerns.

I got a letter back basically telling me I didn’t know squat, and that I shouldn’t worry (my pretty little house frau head) about it.

We refused to sign the refinance docs, and just toughed it out with our double mortgages. We paid the higher interest one off as quickly as possible by adding 25% to the payments.

The kicker? About a year and a half after all that, the banks were sued in federal court over MERS for exactly the reasons I stated. And they lost.
Go figure.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My favorite was getting one on my hospital room phone after having J.
I keep expecting (and BOY will this date me!) that, someday, the "WOW" recording by SETI will be translated to read, "We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty!"

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had our first fire in the fireplace last night. Wasn't really that cold outside but I wanted to have at least one before getting our Christmas tree this weekend. It goes right by the fireplace and I worry the heat will dry it out quicker than it does anyway and I struggle keeping it from losing needles until Jan 1st anyhow. Gracie loved it. Sat right in front of it most of the night. I don't think Boone even realized what was happening because he was asleep on my bed the whole time.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just now sitting on the front steps having my coffee, smoke and listening to MUSE when a movement caught my eye. Something very large just ran into the barn. Wrong color for the cougar, so I'm thinking bear. Could have possibly been wolf, but either way, I'm not going outside to check. Just caught a glimpse of it, as I wasn't looking at the barn at the time.
If it's this close to humans during the day...it's looking for something.
It wont be me it finds.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Had our first fire in the fireplace last night. Wasn't really that cold outside but I wanted to have at least one before getting our Christmas tree this weekend. It goes right by the fireplace and I worry the heat will dry it out quicker than it does anyway and I struggle keeping it from losing needles until Jan 1st anyhow. Gracie loved it. Sat right in front of it most of the night. I don't think Boone even realized what was happening because he was asleep on my bed the whole time.
When I first moved to this house I had fires almost every night. Now at best a couple times a year. Just to lazy to keep getting up to stir it and make sure everything burns before I am ready to close the flue.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We didn’t use our woodstove once last winter. I’m really glad we have it and it heats most of the house almost too well; but my master bathroom is just too many twists and turns to get that heat. I’m not a fan of handling fire or even matches; so DH has to do it anyway. My lack of love for flames is making me wary of our chemistry curriculum this year too. :rolleyes2:

Mooch would probably love it though. I had to move her chair next to the woodstove to make room for the Christmas tree. She loves her heated bed so I bet that would feel even better.:lovecat:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been too long for an edit, so update. Definitely the cougar. I think the color difference was because it was in a shadow.
But yeah, cougar.
I need to bite the bullet and take out the trash. I don't believe it stuck around close. But I think I'll wait until the Hospice nurse comes so if I get mauled at least someone can make sure my mom is taken care of.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been too long for an edit, so update. Definitely the cougar. I think the color difference was because it was in a shadow.
But yeah, cougar.
I need to bite the bullet and take out the trash. I don't believe it stuck around close. But I think I'll wait until the Hospice nurse comes so if I get mauled at least someone can make sure my mom is taken care of.
Minneapolis had a verified cougar sited last week. Unfortunately a couple days later it was hit and killed on the freeway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.