What's on your Mind Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Idk, but if I could bottle it up and sell it, I'd be a millionaire.

It took her a while to calm down and she was up once overnight, but got up fot the day around 7:45, so now I'm just pregnant tired instead of completely exhausted.
Before I had children, I thought I would change the world. AND I COULD HAVE! Then I had two of them, a year apart, and the bar went down...I thought I was doing well to shave both legs the same day without running out of hot water!

I am! Due at the end of March. Sometimes I'm still not sure it was a good idea. :lol:
LOL, you'll wonder that forever on occasion. I remember saying (more than once), "Oh, they are so cute and precious and darling, and I don't know why I had them in the first place." I still say that once in a while, and they are 41 and 40 years old. The last time I spoke with Spawn 1, who had his first this year, he told me that he now understands just exactly why I said that, and we laughed about it together. That was worth rubies and gold.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Before I had children, I thought I would change the world. AND I COULD HAVE! Then I had two of them, a year apart, and the bar went down...I thought I was doing well to shave both legs the same day without running out of hot water!

LOL, you'll wonder that forever on occasion. I remember saying (more than once), "Oh, they are so cute and precious and darling, and I don't know why I had them in the first place." I still say that once in a while, and they are 41 and 40 years old. The last time I spoke with Spawn 1, who had his first this year, he told me that he now understands just exactly why I said that, and we laughed about it together. That was worth rubies and gold.
My cousin was a handful and her parents always told her she’d get back everything she gave them. :lol: She went on to have 4 kids and they’ve definitely got her spunk! I just think it’s a good thing my parents swear I was a good, easy to raise kid. And that means it’s DH’s fault when the kids give me a hard time right?:lol:

One of my possibly questionable parenting techniques is coming up with funny songs for correction/intervention. I think I found my best yet today in my new version of “If your bossy and you know it clap your hands.” DD was baking some jiffy mix muffins and DS was throwing his 2 cents in and you know how it goes. They stopped fussing at each other though! They thought it was funny.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Grandfather and aunt both had small houses and paid around $300 to heat every month about 10 years ago. I saw a comment from another family member that they were told to expect a hike this winter too. Their climate is pretty similar with cold, snowy winters. Many people still do not have central air.

DH said our bill was up the last few months but found the 2nd dehumidifier in our crawl space was full of ice and running continually. The company sent us a replacement for free earlier this summer because the first one we purchased was still under warranty. So maybe 3rd times a charm? :rolleyes2: Overall our electric usually isn't bad. We are on a co-op so they try to keep costs down and they pass the profits back to customers. We do use the lights a lot since we are home and schooling at home. We have mostly LED bulbs inside and out.
Our pet grooming expenses shot up so much this year. The basic supplies (shampoos, a few new clipper blades, etc.) we used to get for $400-$500 USD was almost $1K. We had to raise prices, and no one really complained much because I think they expect it. Even basic supplies needed for pet care has increased. I desperately need new shoes, and the type I used to get for $25-$30 is now $50.
My cousin was a handful and her parents always told her she’d get back everything she gave them. :lol: She went on to have 4 kids and they’ve definitely got her spunk! I just think it’s a good thing my parents swear I was a good, easy to raise kid. And that means it’s DH’s fault when the kids give me a hard time right?:lol:

One of my possibly questionable parenting techniques is coming up with funny songs for correction/intervention. I think I found my best yet today in my new version of “If your bossy and you know it clap your hands.” DD was baking some jiffy mix muffins and DS was throwing his 2 cents in and you know how it goes. They stopped fussing at each other though! They thought it was funny.
LOL, when my sister and I would get to arguing and yelling in the car, Mom would take a side or country road, drive until it was safe to do so, and just quietly pull over. So many times I remember us yelling and crying then snapping to attention and realizing the car wasn't moving and Mom was serenely sitting there, staring out the window. She'd say "Oh, keep fighting, I'll wait." And just sit there. I can still feel the awkward cringe in the air as I type this and I'm pushing 40 :D

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Our pet grooming expenses shot up so much this year. The basic supplies (shampoos, a few new clipper blades, etc.) we used to get for $400-$500 USD was almost $1K. We had to raise prices, and no one really complained much because I think they expect it. Even basic supplies needed for pet care has increased. I desperately need new shoes, and the type I used to get for $25-$30 is now $50.

LOL, when my sister and I would get to arguing and yelling in the car, Mom would take a side or country road, drive until it was safe to do so, and just quietly pull over. So many times I remember us yelling and crying then snapping to attention and realizing the car wasn't moving and Mom was serenely sitting there, staring out the window. She'd say "Oh, keep fighting, I'll wait." And just sit there. I can still feel the awkward cringe in the air as I type this and I'm pushing 40 :D
That’s hilarious.What a great & sensible way to handle sibling arguements!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thankfully my kids mostly get along. It wasn’t till *hormones* arrived that the minor squabbles increased. I keep telling DD she makes it too easy for him! He gets her going without half trying and can tell hes pleased. :rolleyes3: I don’t let them get disrespectful though. I’ve seen some siblings get downright mean!:headshake: Maybe her hormones will settle by the time his kick in?:crazy:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why do kids go out of their way; when they are standing right next to their father, to come complain to me about what the other one is doing? My response: "Your father could handle that..." :rolleyes2:

I'm trying to enjoy some quiet time to recharge my introvert batteries and everyone is in and out of the kitchen instead of around the firepit. I guess they miss me? :dunno:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A week or so before Tag died, he was so sound asleep in the recliner in the living room when I was ready to go to sleep I considered leaving him there and going upstairs to my room as normal. But I was afraid he'd wake up in the middle of the night and be confused and scared. I took to sleeping on the couch. He's been gone for 3 weeks and 2 days, and SO much more crap has happened in my life....and I'm still on the couch. Tag LOVED the upstairs and would spend all his time up there on his own will until he got so sick I didn't allow him access to the stairs anymore for fear he would fall.
I haven't spent 30 minutes up there since he died. The entire upstairs is "him". My bedroom is overflowing with pictures of him, mementos of his agility/obedience career, and places he loved to steal away a nap during the day. There are lots of happy memories from before he got sick, and so many bad memories from the past 5 months. The other room was his "play" room, which was either set up with some mini agility equipment or cleared out for obedience practice or just plain fun play. The walls are covered with photos of him at trials, his title plaques, ribbons, etc. (If I left his agility tunnel out in his play room, I'd sometimes find him, in his younger days, sleeping inside of it, flat on his back with all fours splooting to the sides. It was the cutest thing!)
Well, now.....I hate going up there. HATE it. I went up there yesterday to get some clean clothes to wear to the grocery. I was in my closet looking through the racks of clothes, happened to glance up onto the shelves, and saw his special basket of special toys he used to love. I grabbed a random shirt and went back downstairs. I haven't been back up since. I can't put all of his stuff away, if I did, it would depress the hell out of me (like I was "getting rid" of him IYKWIM) and the walls would be bare. I could put other stuff up, but I'm afraid it would feel "generic". When he was newly diagnosed and still doing pretty good, I'd get off of work, get him outside, then he'd follow me back upstairs and I'd lay on the couch or on my bed and read anything I could about his type of cancer, and cancer in general. He and Livie and all 3 cats (purring with all their might) would join me, like we were this little cancer-fighting team that stuck together. I knew I wouldn't be able to "cure" it on my own, but reading and learning was taking SOME kind of action. Some days I'd go downstairs after hour of reading feeling so encouraged and having new, exciting ideas going through my brain, and other days I'd just go downstairs feeling so defeated. I go upstairs now (the part of the house I practically lived in a few years ago, just because I loved it up there, IMO it's really a beautiful space), and immediately want to go back downstairs.
I talked to the remote vet today (she lives on the other side of the country) that helped us during his illness. She is wonderful!! She gave me some sound advice I know I need to take, but as they say, getting started is the hardest part.
This all sounds so incredibly stupid but it's been weighing on my mind. Then I get mad and tell myself "people have real problems, your biggest problem rn is wanting to sleep on the couch because you don't like your room anymore, moron." :sigh: I actually considered re-decorating all together, but I don't think it's in the budget ATM. Ughh....thanks for letting me vent.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty is FINALLY starting to sleep on the back of the love seat. She had abandoned it because I used to catch her up there and give her meds. Just transdermals, but she could smell them on my finger from half the apartment away, and hide. Good to have her back there. She loves it so.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
iPappy iPappy It iss o hard to deal with the aftermath.. It is PTSD.. it really is. It is awful... But, it will happen. You will, be able to go upstairs and have happy memories..

If you take some time, and think about donating some of Tag's things to shelters.. not your own kennel, because that would be too close to your heart.. but think of a poor dog who will benefit from Tag's things.. then You will be honoring Tag, but doing so. He will be kept alive, and helping someone.

It is so hard.
Yes, Artie had my dad's bedroom as his own room. It contained all his things.. and some left overs from my dad. I was terrible about cleaning out all my dads stuff.
As for Artie.. I left it for a bit.. then, it hurt too much. I had to... I donated a ton of stuff.. most of it.. Gave some away to a neighbor.

I remember when my dad died. He had a hospital bed. It was his. He did not use it often, but it was his. He slept in his lift chair; but I would go in and lie down on the hospital bed, occasionally. A good friend asked if they could give it to a friend of theirs, who really needed one. I originally said NO, but then I felt selfish.. and gave it to them. The room seemed so empty.. so devoid of life. It was reality setting in.. It hit me hard.

Well, I heard, that the person, I gave it to, passed away 6 months later.. and the bed was donated to the Vietnam Vets...
In the end, good things came from it....

Just go at your own speed. One day, you will feel strong enough to go upstairs, and another day, you will feel as if it is time to deal with the stuff... ((HUGS)))

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It took me gosh....more than 6 months to be ready to leave Noodles' chair at the table empty. She sat next to me all day when we were doing schoolwork and I'd just reach over and pet her. I really wasn't expecting her passing even though she'd gone over 6 years with CHF. I left one of her blankets there but I stacked some of my teaching materials in the chair to stop myself from reaching over to pet her instinctively. She crossed the Bridge in January of 2020 and really I never stopped leaving my teachers manuals and things there until we rearranged the room a couple months ago. But it was in school the next fall that I realized I wasn't reaching for her. And that was both healing and sad.

So yeah; it takes time and sometimes we have to do something to jumpstart the healing process. Grief can be so hard and sometimes we have to decide on purpose not to get stuck there. It can be so different from one person or pet to the next too.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
My traveling vet was here 2 days ago and she quietly mentioned: “Do you realize we’ve been seeing each other for over a year now?” It allowed me to cry, after she left, tears of joy and relief since the previous vet had told me Zorro wouldn’t last 3 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.