What's on your Mind Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my ablation done last Wednesday, and it is, so far, successful. I go in tomorrow for my post-op EKG. However, since my stroke, I can hear my heartbeat in my right ear, and I know that it is chugging along just fine! No more stuttering, adding beats, skipping beats, just a steady, gentle "lub-dub." YAY!
Thats wonderful! I am sure you are so glad to finally get it over with.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Living vicariously off the rush of this morning’s adrenalin. They put the fire out five miles from my house but I’ve never packed the car so fast. Feeling really happy, my cat’s alive and cool: ice cream sandwich in celebration of our TRULY heroic local firefighters. Also they used my water tank to put it out so, I helped! Every neighbor called every other neighbor, which is also heartwarming.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Living vicariously off the rush of this morning’s adrenalin. They put the fire out five miles from my house but I’ve never packed the car so fast. Feeling really happy, my cat’s alive and cool: ice cream sandwich in celebration of our TRULY heroic local firefighters. Also they used my water tank to put it out so, I helped! Every neighbor called every other neighbor, which is also heartwarming.
Wow! Glad it turned out okay.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Somewhat stunned at the death of the Queen. I realise I had almost come to think of her as immortal.
There were hints, though. If you think about it, there has been a slowdown of her activity since her husband passed.
Still, a pretty amazing history. And personally I think it’s a little sad that the family does’t get to act like any other human and take the time to grieve. Everything that happens for the next six months is going to be scrutinized mercilessly.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a few people who care for the elderly professionally (nurses and PSWs) and they've all told me that this is what normally happens. When once spouse passes, the other usually passes not too long after as well.
My late Mom lived another 18 years after my Dad passed. And she was 7 months older than him.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My late Mom lived another 18 years after my Dad passed. And she was 7 months older than him.
My Dad live 18 years after my mom passed.. although he seriously wanted to die right after she passed. He stopped all his meds.. took a lot for me to get him to start them up again. They truly loved each other.. So glad my dad and I had a great relationship.. He was my friend as well as my father..

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There were hints, though. If you think about it, there has been a slowdown of her activity since her husband passed.
Still, a pretty amazing history. And personally I think it’s a little sad that the family does’t get to act like any other human and take the time to grieve. Everything that happens for the next six months is going to be scrutinized mercilessly.
I avoid the news, so hadn’t read much except knowing she’d had Covid and about Prince Phillip’s death.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is a thread I need today. Labor Day Weekend was an anxiety ridden nightmare. My little Papillon dog with cancer started showing some strange breathing symptoms with a high RRR while awake. High normal while resting, and high normal when asleep. Turns out, he has an arrhythmia and minor fluid in the lungs. Today, he was eating breakfast and started violently hacking and coughing. He coughed up some food (canned mixed with home made) he had gotten down the wrong pipe, and his breathing was rattling for a few minutes afterwards. He will be getting X-rays.
His cancer is of the skin, and he has had on and off again skin infections all summer. (He gets really smelly, infected sores on him and I have to clip the scab and fur off and it's usually an open wound that needs doctoring. He visits the vet twice a week for a check up.) He's getting over a particularly nasty, stubborn, and long lived infection, and unfortunately for us both, this type of cancer is very resistant to antibiotics. I am not 100% convinced my dog doesn't have pneumonia. He hasn't been coughing, though he has had a few episodes of "hacking", but he's been spiking a fever of 103.0-103.5 that goes down on it's own, and occasionally shakes while resting. His energy is very low, but he does have cancer, and he's also almost 13 1/2. He went through a not wanting to eat phase, but in the past few days his appetite has been pretty good but a few times he will be eating, and abruptly turn away and refuse to even look at it (which is concerning, this dog has always been a foodie.)
QOL is down from a 2 months ago, but IMO it's not gone. He's eating much better. He goes outside in the yard with me and he walks around and sniffs stuff. He's not having diarrhea, he's not throwing up, he's happy to accept a treat, and he's not having accidents in the house. He drinks water, wanders around the house and sometimes tries to follow me out the door to go to work (I don't "work from home", I "live at work", so I can check him at any time I want, which is a HUGE blessing to us both. I've had days I check on him every 15 minutes!) But it's the shaking he does, and the days he doesn't want to eat, and the weird breathing. I keep telling myself, just be patient, get the X-rays, and go from there....but this is so, SO hard. Doesn't help he was my first performance dog and pretty much kicked butt in any ring he entered. A month or two ago my Mom found an old forgotten about Ipad...that Ipad contained videos and photos of him at 2-3 years old at all kinds of agility and obedience events. Seeing him like that vs. how he is today really hit me hard.
I guess I'm just venting. I know this is a cat site, and I love my kitties but I love my Papillon puppies too. 6 months and 2 days ago I put my gorgeous cat Levi to rest....one year, one month and one day ago I put my sweet cat Willie to rest and it just seems like it Just. Won't. Stop. I'm hoping whatever is wrong is treatable, but I really hate this. :(

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a thread I need today. Labor Day Weekend was an anxiety ridden nightmare. My little Papillon dog with cancer started showing some strange breathing symptoms with a high RRR while awake. High normal while resting, and high normal when asleep. Turns out, he has an arrhythmia and minor fluid in the lungs. Today, he was eating breakfast and started violently hacking and coughing. He coughed up some food (canned mixed with home made) he had gotten down the wrong pipe, and his breathing was rattling for a few minutes afterwards. He will be getting X-rays.
His cancer is of the skin, and he has had on and off again skin infections all summer. (He gets really smelly, infected sores on him and I have to clip the scab and fur off and it's usually an open wound that needs doctoring. He visits the vet twice a week for a check up.) He's getting over a particularly nasty, stubborn, and long lived infection, and unfortunately for us both, this type of cancer is very resistant to antibiotics. I am not 100% convinced my dog doesn't have pneumonia. He hasn't been coughing, though he has had a few episodes of "hacking", but he's been spiking a fever of 103.0-103.5 that goes down on it's own, and occasionally shakes while resting. His energy is very low, but he does have cancer, and he's also almost 13 1/2. He went through a not wanting to eat phase, but in the past few days his appetite has been pretty good but a few times he will be eating, and abruptly turn away and refuse to even look at it (which is concerning, this dog has always been a foodie.)
QOL is down from a 2 months ago, but IMO it's not gone. He's eating much better. He goes outside in the yard with me and he walks around and sniffs stuff. He's not having diarrhea, he's not throwing up, he's happy to accept a treat, and he's not having accidents in the house. He drinks water, wanders around the house and sometimes tries to follow me out the door to go to work (I don't "work from home", I "live at work", so I can check him at any time I want, which is a HUGE blessing to us both. I've had days I check on him every 15 minutes!) But it's the shaking he does, and the days he doesn't want to eat, and the weird breathing. I keep telling myself, just be patient, get the X-rays, and go from there....but this is so, SO hard. Doesn't help he was my first performance dog and pretty much kicked butt in any ring he entered. A month or two ago my Mom found an old forgotten about Ipad...that Ipad contained videos and photos of him at 2-3 years old at all kinds of agility and obedience events. Seeing him like that vs. how he is today really hit me hard.
I guess I'm just venting. I know this is a cat site, and I love my kitties but I love my Papillon puppies too. 6 months and 2 days ago I put my gorgeous cat Levi to rest....one year, one month and one day ago I put my sweet cat Willie to rest and it just seems like it Just. Won't. Stop. I'm hoping whatever is wrong is treatable, but I really hate this. :(
I’m so sorry you’re going through this - you and him.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I feel so weird agonizing over a dog on a cat site, but I have few places to turn, and figure a loved pet is a loved pet. (He thinks other dogs are dumb, but he loves ANY cat he comes across!)
What a good boy!
I wouldn’t know what dog sites there are that would be the equivalent of this one.
Irrelevant but Papillons are such beautiful little dogs.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a good boy!
I wouldn’t know what dog sites there are that would be the equivalent of this one.
Irrelevant but Papillons are such beautiful little dogs.
I agree, they are! I actually chose them as "my" breed because I wanted a Border Collie, but smaller, and I wanted a dog that was like a cat and they fit the bill. All of my Paps over the last 20+ years have been very cat like. And all of them have been VERY kind to the cats, I wouldn't tolerate anything else.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I avoid the news, so hadn’t read much except knowing she’d had Covid and about Prince Phillip’s death.
I normally don’t seek out the news but I saw mention of something going on with the Queen and I looked. The article I found said that even Prince Harry was on the way; so I knew it was likely her time.

My grandpa lived about 7 years after my grandma. He said he’d live to be 100 and he did. I don’t think it was coincidence that he declined and passed in the same month as my grandma.

The real surprise has been my other grandma outliving everyone else. She had the most health issues and was a “sickly child” but she is a bit over 2 months from her 104th birthday. The way she was attached to my grandfather it would have been more likely that they did pass close together. It’s been 11 years now.

iPappy iPappy I think most of us here understand.:hugs: They are our babies and its so hard when they can’t tell us whats wrong or what they need. I hope you get some good answers soon!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, they are! I actually chose them as "my" breed because I wanted a Border Collie, but smaller, and I wanted a dog that was like a cat and they fit the bill. All of my Paps over the last 20+ years have been very cat like. And all of them have been VERY kind to the cats, I wouldn't tolerate anything else.
I read a “what you should know about papillons” piece just after reading your post and it was very interesting - such an old breed, I had no idea. And getting on with cats is apparently characteristic!

Status
Not open for further replies.