What's on your Mind Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The Walmart in my tiny town is, thankfully, better than one would expect, and every time I've needed assistance, it has been available, and was given promptly and politely. LOL, and I need a lot of assistance! When I was stocking up my freezer, a wonderful young lady walked with me so that I didn't have to keep getting up from my electric cart and struggle to reach the shelves. But BOY, have I heard horror stories from other stores!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh NO!!!! Uhura!! NO NO NO. 😭💦. Not Star Trek... man. all our icons are leaving...
There's a story that she wanted to leave Star Trek, because her job was basically to say "Hailing frequencies open, Captain," and she got tired of it, as anyone would. But when Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. heard that she was planning to leave he called her personally and asked her to reconsider her decision, because young black girls needed her as a role model, so she decided to stay.

And one of those young black girls who was inspired by Nichelle Nichols was Whoopi Goldberg; that's why Whoopi contacted Gene Roddenberry and asked for a recurring role on Star Trek: The Next Generation. Guinan was created in honor of Nichelle Nichols.

Margret

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a story that she wanted to leave Star Trek, because her job was basically to say "Hailing frequencies open, Captain," and she got tired of it, as anyone would. But when Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. heard that she was planning to leave he called her personally and asked her to reconsider her decision, because young black girls needed her as a role model, so she decided to stay.

And one of those young black girls who was inspired by Nichelle Nichols was Whoopi Goldberg; that's why Whoopi contacted Gene Roddenberry and asked for a recurring role on Star Trek: The Next Generation. Guinan was created in honor of Nichelle Nichols.

Margret
Yes, that is a true story. She related it many times. She was frustrated with her role on ST. Rev King, made her realize all that role was achieving, with regards to woman, black women, little girls, etc. This inspired her to keep on. She wanted to go back to musical work. Nichelle then realized and asked Gene Roddenberry to rescind her resignation. Gene understood completely.

Nichelle Nichols went on to inspire many people; men and well as woman to enter NASA, the space program and to just empower people to find their potential. I do not know if she ever realized what she had accomplished.

After reading about the last years of her life; I became upset. I hope she had some understanding how much she was loved.. and how much she meant to many many people, of all races..

RIP Uhura... Now you are truly in an "ongoing mission" in the stars....

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i just finnished my lunch had ac on since mid morning relaxed on my couch now graycie woke up from her nap now moved to my full belly like a small heat pack to help me digest my lunch.:lol:i feel like a snake on a heat mat/rock digesting my meal

How are your critters doing in the summer heat?

It's Friday and not a single dog has shown up to work yet :think: Hopefully at least one dog will turn up but with my luck, the one Friday I am at work, there are no dogs :ohwell: One did come yesterday so I'm good until next week 🐶

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
soo my lung doc says good chance i have lung cancer going from the results of my ct scan and is going to schedule a biopsy etc to confirm if it is etc. gf is a mess kinda i think and shut down any conversation with me about a plan etc. on what to to. :rolleyes:i already allowed for this possiblitiy months ago when my lung issues began so i am ready to go. in regards to whatever aggressive treatments my insurance will allow me chemo or any other radiation type stuff. a bit worried about graycie and my gf:biggrin:both are securely attached to me.so gf might be logging in on my account here sooner or later seeking advice etc. about graycie.:rolleyes3:lots to think about these next few days

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
soo my lung doc says good chance i have lung cancer going from the results of my ct scan and is going to schedule a biopsy etc to confirm if it is etc. gf is a mess kinda i think and shut down any conversation with me about a plan etc. on what to to. :rolleyes:i already allowed for this possiblitiy months ago when my lung issues began so i am ready to go. in regards to whatever aggressive treatments my insurance will allow me chemo or any other radiation type stuff. a bit worried about graycie and my gf:biggrin:both are securely attached to me.so gf might be logging in on my account here sooner or later seeking advice etc. about graycie.:rolleyes3:lots to think about these next few days
:hugs: :grouphug:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, I hope if it is lung cancer, it's early stages and very treatable. You have everyone here rooting for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.