What's on your Mind Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It has just been one of those years. Ice storms that pulled down a tree worth of pine branches and took weeks to clean up. A wind storm that tore the soffit and facia off the front of my house. A hail storm that loaded my yard with broken branches. And this afternoon a slightly windy day that apparently caused an enormous branch from a neighbors tree to fall and take down a whole section of my wood fence. This particular neighbor is an absolute jerk and we will see if he does the cleanup and puts the fence back up.

Fortunately though, it didnt damage my retaining wall garden or shed, but still jeez.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ouch. I bet there are damaged branches all around that are just waiting to come down.

Last night I found out that one of my best friends from middle school passed away several weeks ago. I knew she had been battling cancer and I hadn't seen her post on Facebook in a few weeks. That's not too uncommon; but when I went to her page to see how she was doing there were posts from several weeks ago saying how they were going to miss her. Her youngest is graduating Kindergarten this year and her oldest is graduating from high school. 2 weeks before she and her oldest were at a musical having a great time together; so it must have come quickly. My heart is so sad for her husband and children. I spent a little time chatting about it with one of our mutual friends that I've stayed in closer contact with. Life is so unfair sometimes. :frown:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It has just been one of those years. Ice storms that pulled down a tree worth of pine branches and took weeks to clean up. A wind storm that tore the soffit and facia off the front of my house. A hail storm that loaded my yard with broken branches. And this afternoon a slightly windy day that apparently caused an enormous branch from a neighbors tree to fall and take down a whole section of my wood fence. This particular neighbor is an absolute jerk and we will see if he does the cleanup and puts the fence back up.

Fortunately though, it didnt damage my retaining wall garden or shed, but still jeez.
Follow up - the neighbor whose tree branch fell did all the cleanup and is rebuilding and installing the downed piece of fence today. I offered to pay him for the wood he had to buy and he turned me down.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I managed to do a load of laundry without putting detergent in. So now I have to do it a second time.

Took J to the library to sign up for summer reading and 1000 books before kindergarten. I'm only counting each book once per day for the latter, so we're up to 9 already instead of about 25.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So tired. :sleep: Gracie woke me up around 4am both Saturday and Sunday banging on the basement door and crying. Then at 1am yesterday. Slept all night last night but I am still tired. Gracie ended up being left upstairs all night. Scared the crap out of me when she jumped on my nightstand after my alarm had gone off.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It feels like packing for a vacation just to go to a 30 minute swim lesson.
Yes!! A day at the beach/lake/pool is not simple with little kids! :dizzy: Are the lessons indoors or out?

Thankfully our Y has an indoor pool for lessons so when we did them the only thing that interrupted them was thunder and lightning. We had some good storms that summer too. Even in the heated pool room DS would be shivering in the water after just 15 minutes. And then we'd leave and it was so hot they'd be dry just getting to the car.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes!! A day at the beach/lake/pool is not simple with little kids! :dizzy: Are the lessons indoors or out?

Thankfully our Y has an indoor pool for lessons so when we did them the only thing that interrupted them was thunder and lightning. We had some good storms that summer too. Even in the heated pool room DS would be shivering in the water after just 15 minutes. And then we'd leave and it was so hot they'd be dry just getting to the car.
I chose outdoors because of covid. Thankfully, the rain held off until we were done, but it was chilly.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Twice now I have narrowly missed getting a sale price on my kids History curriculum for next year. :frustrated: The first time it would have been 25% off too!! I’d have saved over $50! This time it was just 10%; but on a rather expensive curriculum I’d appreciate it! Its actually the most expensive one I buy; but we like it.

I’ve been watching one website where there are usually sales and they haven’t had that publisher on sale at all in the last few months. I’ve been buying long enough to know which things I’m likely to get a deal on or can buy used on ebay. With theirs it’s actually cheaper in the long run to buy it new as a package than to get the “nonconsumables” used and just buy new consumbables separately. I also have to match editions. I copy the tests so DS can use them when he reaches that level.:sigh:

I’ve been wondering if the publisher is limiting who can put it on sale so people will buy directly from them. Sometimes finding the new stuff feels like a job.:rolleyes2:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Twice now I have narrowly missed getting a sale price on my kids History curriculum for next year. :frustrated: The first time it would have been 25% off too!! I’d have saved over $50! This time it was just 10%; but on a rather expensive curriculum I’d appreciate it! Its actually the most expensive one I buy; but we like it.

I’ve been watching one website where there are usually sales and they haven’t had that publisher on sale at all in the last few months. I’ve been buying long enough to know which things I’m likely to get a deal on or can buy used on ebay. With theirs it’s actually cheaper in the long run to buy it new as a package than to get the “nonconsumables” used and just buy new consumbables separately. I also have to match editions. I copy the tests so DS can use them when he reaches that level.:sigh:

I’ve been wondering if the publisher is limiting who can put it on sale so people will buy directly from them. Sometimes finding the new stuff feels like a job.:rolleyes2:
schools make you buy the books now?yikes lots changed i 40 years maybe you can buy used copies like the way college kids do it sell off their used semester books

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
schools make you buy the books now?yikes lots changed i 40 years maybe you can buy used copies like the way college kids do it sell off their used semester books
My kids are homeschooled so it’s up to us to choose and purchase. I usually shop on ebay for what I can and sometimes there are local sales. And sales groups on Facebook. I can usually get the teachers manuals used and buy workbooks new; but this one program is never a better deal used because there is so much markup when you don’t get it as a package. Unless someone is selling a whole package. I’ve only found it that way once. :rolleyes2:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Started trialing yogurt with J again today. Already going better than last time because she wants to eat it this time. Last time we tried for a few days, she would only eat about half and was spitting it up. So it would be cool if she could pass this step.

Status
Not open for further replies.