What's on your Mind Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found the number to the PO in Raleigh that delivers to DD. I called them. The woman I spoke to said that it HAS to be picked up. I asked why it cannot be left at the door if it does not fit in the mailbox. She said that the carrier is not willing to leave it at the door. Really? UPS, Fed Ex and Amazon are all willing to do that. I ordered her a baker's rack from Amazon. It was shipped with Fed Ex and they left that big box at the door yesterday. She's going to have to figure out a way to get there. Fortunately it's not far from her. Just another reason why I do not use the USPS for anything other than stamped mail.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found the number to the PO in Raleigh that delivers to DD. I called them. The woman I spoke to said that it HAS to be picked up. I asked why it cannot be left at the door if it does not fit in the mailbox. She said that the carrier is not willing to leave it at the door. Really? UPS, Fed Ex and Amazon are all willing to do that. I ordered her a baker's rack from Amazon. It was shipped with Fed Ex and they left that big box at the door yesterday. She's going to have to figure out a way to get there. Fortunately it's not far from her. Just another reason why I do not use the USPS for anything other than stamped mail.
I plan to send some pet artwork to a friend in Germany. I requested that the artwork be sent either by FedEx or UPS.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I plan to send some pet artwork to a friend in Germany. I requested that the artwork be sent either by FedEx or UPS.
I hope they honor your request. I spoke to the delivery supervisor at that PO. She claims that she asked the carrier to bring it today and leave it at the door and the carrier refused to . Really? You can't just TELL her to? It does not require signature or anything like that. I'm so annoyed. I'm not used to this because the carrier that delivers to my house is fantastic.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope they honor your request. I spoke to the delivery supervisor at that PO. She claims that she asked the carrier to bring it today and leave it at the door and the carrier refused to . Really? You can't just TELL her to? It does not require signature or anything like that. I'm so annoyed. I'm not used to this because the carrier that delivers to my house is fantastic.
It is probably because the mail carrier does not want to lift it up. Or be responsible if it is stolen. 😠

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is probably because the mail carrier does not want to lift it up. Or be responsible if it is stolen. 😠
It's just a jacket. There's no way it weighs more than a couple of pounds. Even if someone did steal it, Kohl's would likely replace it. They are very good like that.

ETA: I worked for the USPS call center from 1998-2002. We got calls all the time from people saying that they got the yellow attempted delivery slip in the mailbox but the carrier never actually tried to deliver it. My guess? It doesn't fit in the mailbox and she doesn't want to go to the door at all.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister-in-law is now a flight attendant with United! She passed her training yesterday! She is flying home for a week before being sent on her first flight assignment. Since she will be home and missed Yule and Christmas, we postponed Twelfth Night so she could come. I have the weekend to get ready for it on Monday.

The appetizers include honey glazed halloumi, homemade pretzel bites with cheese sauce and honey mustard for dipping, and mini sweet red peppers stuffed with feta. (My son is making the appetizers and bringing them over.)The dinner menu is beef roast, pork roast, duck, gravy, au jus, port wine reduction, stuffing/dressing, mashed potatoes, mejadra, spiced honey carrots, roasted cauliflower with ras el hanout, green beans with onions and bacon, asparagus in cream and Havarti sauce, roasted balsamic onions and mushrooms, and homemade bread. My son is making the pork roast, and both it and the beef roast are being cooked sous vide. I will have a small tray of cookies and homemade chocolate-covered toffee corn, but the actual desserts will be a raspberry pavlova and a sticky toffee pudding. The good ice cream place is back open after a two-week vacation, so I might have my husband pick up a quart of their vanilla cloud or lavender queen bee ice cream to go with the sticky pudding. That, or I will make a creme anglaise.

I need to remember to pick up more carry-out boxes and containers: There is going to be a lot of leftovers for everyone to take! I also want to send some with my mother-in-law to give to her mother and stepfather. If I have time, I will also make them a small loaf of bread. My step-grandfather-in-law loves my bread! (He even said that it is better than the Amish bread he has loved all his life!)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If there have been a lot of thefts in the area; that could be one reason they won't do a door delivery. But just say so!

One of DH's clients gave him a mug gift set from Godiva for Christmas. He re-gifted it to me on Christmas (kind of a joke...he knew I'd be the one enjoying that! ;)). It had a nice large mug (love big mugs like that) but it came with dark chocolate hot chocolate and 2 truffles too. Oh. My. Goodness. That hot chocolate was like drinking a brownie. :lol: It was SO good!!

I just finally let myself have the two truffles and they did not disappoint either! :cloud9:

I'm chilly and was thinking of making hot chocolate. But I'm afraid Swiss Miss isn't going to satisfy quite the same today. Even the Lucky Charms ones I got to put in my kid's Christmas stockings. :lol2:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 did you get any snow? or ice?
We have ice now. I've just installed the third round of heated rice bags in the Secret Feral Shelter. At last count, there were eight cats in the shelter. I'll put reheated bags in at least two more times before I go to bed at around 7 AM. Still hoping for flurries, at least.

ETA: I worked for the USPS call center from 1998-2002. We got calls all the time from people saying that they got the yellow attempted delivery slip in the mailbox but the carrier never actually tried to deliver it. My guess? It doesn't fit in the mailbox and she doesn't want to go to the door at all.
I suspect you may be right. I got one of those on a day that I was actually sitting on my porch when the mail truck came to the complex. She never drove to the back at all, but I got a slip in the box. I called our Post Master, who said that she reported that she attempted delivery, but no one was home. Informed him that she was lying, as I was sitting ON MY PORCH watching her deliver mail to the boxes, then get in her truck and leave. She was replaced shortly after that. I don't know if my call had anything to do with it, but if it did, I'm not overly agonized about it. As I recall, that quote does not go, "“Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail shall keep the postmen from their appointed rounds, but if I'm not in the mood, you can suck ditchwater through a straw."

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have ice now. I've just installed the third round of heated rice bags in the Secret Feral Shelter. At last count, there were eight cats in the shelter. I'll put reheated bags in at least two more times before I go to bed at around 7 AM. Still hoping for flurries, at least.

I suspect you may be right. I got one of those on a day that I was actually sitting on my porch when the mail truck came to the complex. She never drove to the back at all, but I got a slip in the box. I called our Post Master, who said that she reported that she attempted delivery, but no one was home. Informed him that she was lying, as I was sitting ON MY PORCH watching her deliver mail to the boxes, then get in her truck and leave. She was replaced shortly after that. I don't know if my call had anything to do with it, but if it did, I'm not overly agonized about it. As I recall, that quote does not go, "“Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail shall keep the postmen from their appointed rounds, but if I'm not in the mood, you can suck ditchwater through a straw."
That saying is long gone. To be honest, I hate that I had to give up on the USPS. Partly because of the 4 years I spent at the USPS call center and partly because I've had so many really good carriers over the years. The carrier that delivers to my house has been on the route for YEARS and is excellent. Their service had gone downhill big time over the years but they still have some shining stars among their ranks.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly, the wonderful little electric snowblower that I have used for the last twenty years to clear my walkways and driveway when there are light snowfalls suffered a burnout at the plug today and died on the job. I do need to replace it asap but I am trying to decide if I want to replace it with a battery operated one instead. Not having to drag a cord around would be great but I am concerned it wouldn’t be as powerful as my old one.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly, the wonderful little electric snowblower that I have used for the last twenty years to clear my walkways and driveway when there are light snowfalls suffered a burnout at the plug today and died on the job. I do need to replace it asap but I am trying to decide if I want to replace it with a battery operated one instead. Not having to drag a cord around would be great but I am concerned it wouldn’t be as powerful as my old one.
I've not had a need for this but it maybe what your looking for. It's Called "Snow Joe" runs on a battery pack. I have a snowplow service contracted.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried to have my daughter finger paint. She immediately put paint in her mouth and I told her "no, don't eat it" and tried to show her how to spread it around on the paper.

She started sobbing.

Well, that was an utter failure. 🥴

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I've not had a need for this but it maybe what your looking for. It's Called "Snow Joe" runs on a battery pack. I have a snowplow service contracted.
Yes, that is one of the ones I have been looking at. I have a big 8 HP gas snowblower for heavier snowfalls so it only needs to be able to do light duty. There are a few competitors though so I need to figure out which would be the best choice,

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried to have my daughter finger paint. She immediately put paint in her mouth and I told her "no, don't eat it" and tried to show her how to spread it around on the paper.

She started sobbing.

Such a sensitive soul! Give it a another try in a few months, she’ll figure it out.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry a vent! Feeling sad!
Just trying to put my feelings into words. My 2 sons-in-law (both alpha-males) had a very loud and unpleasant argument in my house yesterday. My elder daughter, A, left saying she would never set foot in this house again. Then things escalated!

The original problem was that they had agreed to do the heavy work involved in dismantling and rewiring my kitchen. The work was almost finished two weeks ago and yesterday afternoon it was expected that two hours work, when everybody helped, would finish the job! A's husband had no intention of helping and accused my other daughter and her husband of staking their claims in order to inherit the house and his poor wife would be left with nothing. I am deeply shocked. I was in the laundry room at the time and wasn't directly involved at all. When those 2 are shouting there is no point in trying to calm them down though I've never heard them shouting at each other.

Up to now I've tried to help both daughters in their times of stress. A suffered a very bad divorce and I helped her by paying her ex so that she could keep her house and also paid her legal expenses. Two years ago she remarried and already her new husband seems to think he can start throwing his weight around. I find the fact that he even mentions "his" inheritance quite appalling.

My younger daughter needed help when she married a self-employed man 24 years ago. He had run into debt. I let them move into the apartment on the first floor of my house. To pay her way, my daughter does the cleaning, and refuses payment for any shopping she does for me. Her husband (and now my grandsons) do repairs to the house and keep my car on the road. I must admit, my last will and testament has not yet been written ........ but I am denitely removing A's husband's name from my Patient Decree.

I feel terrible. But, I have nothing to apologise for and to whom? I feel hurt that my daughter doesn't want to come into my house - but I'm not sure that I want to visit her and her husband in her home now that I've heard him shouting about "his" inheritance! My other son-in-law is licking his wounds - he says he'll finish the kitchen on his own and then leave! He's often threatened to leave but he's still around.

When we have no real problems - everyone is healthy, we all have employment or our pensions, a place to live and enough to eat - why do some people just have to pick a fight and create so much unhappiness?

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just trying to put my feelings into words. My 2 sons-in-law (both alpha-males) had a very loud and unpleasant argument in my house yesterday. My elder daughter, A, left saying she would never set foot in this house again. Then things escalated!

The original problem was that they had agreed to do the heavy work involved in dismantling and rewiring my kitchen. The work was almost finished two weeks ago and yesterday afternoon it was expected that two hours work, when everybody helped, would finish the job! A's husband had no intention of helping and accused my other daughter and her husband of staking their claims in order to inherit the house and his poor wife would be left with nothing. I am deeply shocked. I was in the laundry room at the time and wasn't directly involved at all. When those 2 are shouting there is no point in trying to calm them down though I've never heard them shouting at each other.

Up to now I've tried to help both daughters in their times of stress. A suffered a very bad divorce and I helped her by paying her ex so that she could keep her house and also paid her legal expenses. Two years ago she remarried and already her new husband seems to think he can start throwing his weight around. I find the fact that he even mentions "his" inheritance quite appalling.

My younger daughter needed help when she married a self-employed man 24 years ago. He had run into debt. I let them move into the apartment on the first floor of my house. To pay her way, my daughter does the cleaning, and refuses payment for any shopping she does for me. Her husband (and now my grandsons) do repairs to the house and keep my car on the road. I must admit, my last will and testament has not yet been written ........ but I am denitely removing A's husband's name from my Patient Decree.

I feel terrible. But, I have nothing to apologise for and to whom? I feel hurt that my daughter doesn't want to come into my house - but I'm not sure that I want to visit her and her husband in her home now that I've heard him shouting about "his" inheritance! My other son-in-law is licking his wounds - he says he'll finish the kitchen on his own and then leave! He's often threatened to leave but he's still around.

When we have no real problems - everyone is healthy, we all have employment or our pensions, a place to live and enough to eat - why do some people just have to pick a fight and create so much unhappiness?
Perhaps it would have Been better to have a outside source Remodel your kitchen. Hindsight.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise

How very unfair and unkind to you. Family dynamics can be fraught with stress. I hope it all improves for you, gilmargl gilmargl . :redheartpump:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’m so sorry they put you in the middle of their disagreement gilmargl gilmargl !! Speaking about inheritance would bother me a lot! To me that is sign of a weak character. But at least you see it for what it is and can make decisions accordingly. :disappointed:

She started sobbing.

How dare you not let her eat the paint mama! :crazy: You get to keep a sense of humor during these toddler years! (The preteen ones too come to think of it. 😏) I remember when DD wasn’t much older I put her in her high chair while I was trying to cook dinner and gave her paper and a chunky crayon. Which of course she tried to eat. I guess eating is what you normally do in a high chair right? Makes toddler logic?:crazy: It all came out in the end.:lol: DH was more shocked than I was when she started little tantrums almost as soon as she turned 1. DS didn’t until 2 and even then they were so mild and he’d stop if you justgave him a “really?” look. Things got rough when he hit 3 and hes still my stubborn one.:rolleyes2:

Status
Not open for further replies.