What's on your Mind Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I do not mind cold. You can always add a layer of clothes. But there comes a point, in the summer, when you find yourself standing buck naked in your bedroom, holding a hand sander, and thinking, "If I take off just three layers of skin, I might survive this heat!
I said something similar to my husband the other morning when we were on our walk. (Well, not exactly the hand sander part :lol: ) It was 29° and we were the only ones out.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do. I spent my early years in Anchorage, Alaska, and my "internal weatherman" is set to "SNOW!" I love snow. I walk in it. I dance in it (so far as one can dance on a walker). I glory in it. I don't want inches, I want FEET. Although...not in NC, where more than an inch means the schools close and the power will probably go out.

I do not mind cold. You can always add a layer of clothes. But there comes a point, in the summer, when you find yourself standing buck naked in your bedroom, holding a hand sander, and thinking, "If I take off just three layers of skin, I might survive this heat!
I'm the opposite. I'd rather be hot. You can take a cool shower and central AC is a requirement here. When I saw The Year Without a Santa Claus the first time as a kid and this guy showed up, I was like, "FINALLY! Someone understands me!" :jive:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I said something similar to my husband the other morning when we were on our walk. (Well, not exactly the hand sander part :lol: ) It was 29° and we were the only ones out.
I'd rather it be a little cold than too hot. But there's a limit. 29 degrees can be quite pleasant. Below zero. . .no. My limit is 10 degrees. And of course wind and moisture can make a difference too.

Because there are only so many clothes you can put on before you can't move, lol.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd rather it be a little cold than too hot. But there's a limit. 29 degrees can be quite pleasant. Below zero. . .no. My limit is 10 degrees. And of course wind and moisture can make a difference too.

Because there are only so many clothes you can put on before you can't move, lol.
And masks nowadays help, but even if I've got on layers, if it's cold enough to hurt my face, I'm staying indoors.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try Phoenix in July. And if you like hot AND humid (112° w/85-100% humidity), there's always August.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh does it get humid even in Phoenix? I hate humidity. I always thought I'd retire to Arizona to find somewhere dry, lol. But I suppose there's no escaping it.
When I was in South Africa, it was winter there and their dry season, and there would be literally 0% humidity, so when the sun was out it was in the 60s, and when it got dark you'd need your winter coat.

Of course their summer is the wet season, so I guess they make up the humidity.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my friends moved to Phoenix to be near her parents and brothers a few years ago. Her mother did all our maternity and newborn photos; so I’m friends with both on Facebook. I’ve seen comments the pool water has gotten too hot to use. I’ve seen them in winter coats at the grand canyon. I’ve heard about snakes and spiders when she hikes. She loves it there and her pictures are beautiful; but it still sounds like its not all its cracked up to be. Her mother does say she breaths better out there so it was worth it for them. I just need some traditional seasons in my life. I could move south more where snow is rare. That sounds nice. But then theres bigger bugs and lizards and things.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my friends moved to Phoenix to be near her parents and brothers a few years ago. Her mother did all our maternity and newborn photos; so I’m friends with both on Facebook. I’ve seen comments the pool water has gotten too hot to use. I’ve seen them in winter coats at the grand canyon. I’ve heard about snakes and spiders when she hikes. She loves it there and her pictures are beautiful; but it still sounds like its not all its cracked up to be. Her mother does say she breaths better out there so it was worth it for them. I just need some traditional seasons in my life. I could move south more where snow is rare. That sounds nice. But then theres bigger bugs and lizards and things.
Arizona is not all hot, dry desert. Up where I live (White Mountains), we do have seasons. Snow, but not like northern states, changing of leaves (for non evergreens), but lots of wind. Lots of wildlife. As for snakes, spiders and lizards, this isn't Australia. Not everything is out to kill you. In the almost 60 yrs I've lived here, I've only seen one Gila monster, however tons of snakes. But I was always out on my horse where there wasn't people. Rattlers give a warning, heed it and you will not get bitten.
I lived 38 years in Phoenix, and it is hot, dry, dusty and smoggy. I can't imagine anyone could breathe better.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL! I've got a cat on my kitchen island right now laying on top of a suitcase that I am transferring to a new one. The old one is beaten up and full of cat hair. This one is going to be kept in an upstairs closet!. I don't have the heart to move her, I guess I can throw it away later......
use it as the decoy :rolleyes:probably wont work though cats know whats the new thing to occupy:lol:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Arizona is not all hot, dry desert. Up where I live (White Mountains), we do have seasons. Snow, but not like northern states, changing of leaves (for non evergreens), but lots of wind. Lots of wildlife. As for snakes, spiders and lizards, this isn't Australia. Not everything is out to kill you. In the almost 60 yrs I've lived here, I've only seen one Gila monster, however tons of snakes. But I was always out on my horse where there wasn't people. Rattlers give a warning, heed it and you will not get bitten.
I lived 38 years in Phoenix, and it is hot, dry, dusty and smoggy. I can't imagine anyone could breathe better.
She’s come across a few crazy looking spiders out there in the wilderness. Of course she’s often got 3 boys with her so they are probably looking. :lol: I’m more of…stay out of my house and keep a nice mutual distance outside person with spiders. And we don’t get many big ones either. We have snakes but only 1 poisonous kind. I mind snakes less than spiders but I wouldn’t want to be surprised by one either. I’ll leave all the spider charming to game misconduct game misconduct .:crazy:

Our old neighbor was from Phoenix originally and moved up into the mountains there. Unfortunately she’s not on social media but when we used to still keep in touch they seemed to be in paradise out there. I would visit; but I don’t think I would want to live there.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Speaking of spiders, an eensy weensy spider—the size of the head of a pin—has spun a tiny web behind one of the cats’ water bowls. Every morning when I pick up the bowl to clean and refill it, the little thing scurries under the baseboard. What the heck do they eat?? I’m not going to kill it. Usually I catch and release outside, but the temps drop into the 30s every night so she can live out her life behind the water bowl.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of spiders, an eensy weensy spider—the size of the head of a pin—has spun a tiny web behind one of the cats’ water bowls. Every morning when I pick up the bowl to clean and refill it, the little thing scurries under the baseboard. What the heck do they eat?? I’m not going to kill it. Usually I catch and release outside, but the temps drop into the 30s every night so she can live out her life behind the water bowl.
sounds like newly hatched. I expect most of them don’t live long since they compete with their parent for food.

Status
Not open for further replies.