What's Next On Your "to Create" List?

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm kind of in a funk lately, and haven't been "creating" as much as I would like. I like to paint, mostly, but I'm not very good, and I haven't been doing much of it. The last thing I actually sat down and followed through with, start to finish, was painting a wooden, hexagonal necklace holder that my boyfriend made me (and he made it MONTHS ago...). I painted it yellow all over, and then detailed with purple lupine flowers and a little honeybee.

My next goal is to redo a kitchen chair-- take it apart, sand the stain off, re-stain it, glue it back together, and reupholster it. I have the fabric picked out, I know the steps, I have the tools...I just haven't taken the time to do it yet.

So, what's on your arts and craft list? Are you working on something right now? What's your favorite "medium", or artsy past time? What would you like to learn to do, but haven't yet?

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I loom knit chemo caps for a major cancer hospital in Houston. I make them in cheerful colors and patterns because I figure if you have cancer and have lost your hair, you don't want a "baby" pastel beanie cap or a gloomy one. I have about 100 ready to go but haven't taken them in yet. Right now they'd be way too warm anyway with today supposed to be 100 degrees with a heat index of about 115.

About a year and a half ago I did something to my shoulder and quit making caps for a good while. I need to get back to it. I have enough yarn to last the rest of my life, but I always check Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's to see what's new. I guess it's an addiction. I don't buy the expensive stuff, thank goodness. I saw some at the International Quilt Festival that was $65 for a tiny skein. OK, I admit it. My name is Jackie and I'm a yarn addict. So there!

Regular knitting is too complicated for me to concentrate on and I'm not too coordinated anyway. Loom knitting is what I call "knitting for dummies" but it's satisfying.

A glass blowing studio just opened a couple of miles from here. It looks interesting. On the other hand, I have a real dislike of broken glass, so maybe that's not such a good idea after all.

I don't want a hobby where there's not much to do with something after you've created it. You can only give so many things away before you run out of recipients. I don't want my friends to run the other way if they see I have something in my hands. I guess that's why I like the loom knitting. There's always a need for what I make.

My essential tremors make anything requiring fine motor skills virtually impossible, so beading (what a terrible mess that would be!) or jewelry making, painting, etc. are out. Sewing isn't my thing, either. My other half sews beautifully, though, so he keeps us in custom clothes and well-repaired.

Any suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow...I wish I was talented enough to knit! I can't even sew on a button, so knitting is worlds away for me. I'm sure the chemo patients will be very grateful for their warm hats when it gets cooler!

Glass blowing is something I've always wanted to try, as well as ceramics. Do you know someone with a kiln? Making vases, pinch bowls, etc. might be fun for you; I'm not sure of your limitations, but that might be something to look into! What about felting?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have some cross stitch that's been waiting to be finished since around January and a crochet scarf that's been waiting since around March to get finished. I think there are a couple of glass bead ornaments that are awaiting completion too (is anyone starting to see a pattern here?... :rolleyes:)

I need to get started on my autum/winter jewellery collection too - I hobby-trade, mostly through a local shop/gallery, but there are usually a couple of Charity craft fairs around November too, and I need around 300 pieces to fill a stall! (plus maybe 60-70 for the shop) I have cut gemstones waiting to be mounted into settings too, but I've lost motivation there as they seem a bit too generic. I've not learned how to work silver to make my own mounts, and I'm not sure I'd trust myself with a blowtorch :disturbed::fire:

I have tons of fabric knocking around too - mostly fleece and felt, plus LOTS of catnip and other kitty herb blends, oh, and stuffing for beds/toys too. I keep meaning to make some more tote bags and cat toys and beds - I can't possibly leave the kitties out ;)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm making curtains for both bathrooms. The kid's are getting a Mickey Mouse bathroom. I found some ADORABLE fabric and Mickie/Minnie buttons for embellishment. I spent last Friday sewing lining for the curtains I have in my kitchen/dining room and I have enough left over to line the bathroom curtains too. I hoped to be done already but I've had to get other stuff done too. :wink:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I think it's going to be wedding-related. My niece is getting married soon and I'm fairly certain there's a glue gun in my future. I've been heavily involved in decoration plans and soon we're going to really start putting things together.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to reupholster my kitchen chairs, but I just don't have the motivation to do it. I've been too lazy to even cook dinner for myself. I'd like to make a t-shirt quilt out of all my t-shirts from college. I want to sew up a shirt I got for my dog that needs adjusted.

I've been having a lot of back pain lately though and haven't been doing much of anything. And laying around probably isn't helping, just making it worse and making me feel tired.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Making paper flowers is on my list of things to learn how to do. I took some books out of the library recently just to browse. Two of the books were way too complicated for me (one was a Martha Stewart one. Enough said:worship:) but one was easy enough for me. I'll have to buy a copy of the book.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I've been making costume jewelry to sell on eBay, as DH is still jobless (it's been over one month). I've made 12-14 pieces since last weekend! I'm really enjoying it. The irony is that I can't wear any of it, due to metal allergies (I have to have 14kt or higher gold and sterling silver.)

Now, I just have to put the photos and auctions on eBay! I hate that part.

I've also been knitting scarves to donate to Operation Gratitude. They work up very fast, which is good, since I hate knitting!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been dreaming about cheesecake. I want to create a gluten free one.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to crochet, tat, and knit, mostly lace. I was never that fond of knitting; crochet and tatting were my first loves. But since my left hand is still recovering from the broken arm I had five years ago I haven't been able to control the thread tension properly; my little finger won't close that far.

However, I recently found Bernat's Baby Blanket Yarn, which is a soft chenille yarn in lovely pastel colors that's big enough and textured enough that I actually can crochet with it, so I'm working on an afghan, using Tunisian honeycomb stitch. It's going to be extremely thick and warm, just the thing to cuddle under in winter. Getting tatting back will take a lot more time and work.

I also make temari. If you google that you'll see a lot of pretty pictures. And I've done some Celtic style knotwork as well.

Oh, yes. And I've drawn a few stereo pictures of geometric objects, and done some really cool ray tracings, though that was a long time ago.

And I've occasionally made some Christmas tree ornaments in the shape of great dodecahedra: The Great Dodecahedron

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um, temari isn't knotwork. It's embroidery on thread balls; I use Styrofoam as the centers. Celtic knotwork is done with pen and ink. This is one of mine:
Chalice Knot.jpg
The original is hanging in the office area at my church. Celtic knotwork has traditionally been used as a form of ornamentation in sacred texts, and this depicts a flaming chalice in each corner, which is a symbol of the Unitarian Universalist church. I donated the original to the church, retaining the copyright for myself, but with the caveat that if the church found a way to successfully market copies (coloring books, anyone?) they could use it for the building fund. (And no, I do not cede my copyright by posting here. No one but me or my church has any right to make money from my knotwork.)

Yes, I've also encountered the character named Temari. Trust me, temari the craft predated Temari the character by several hundred years. The ladies of the Japanese Imperial court used to pass their time embroidering and playing games with silk balls ("temari" means "hand ball"). Later it became a folk craft. There's a tradition that, every year, a mother will embroider a new temari, which she gives to her youngest daughter on New Year's Day. I find that they make excellent Christmas tree ornaments. I also find that extremely smooth embroidery threads (silk, rayon) have a tendency to slip so that it's difficult to secure the ends properly. I've done one ball with rayon -- never again.

Margret

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
temari isn't knotwork
I figured that but googling just temari only gave me about a hundred pictures of the anime character; something I'm also unfamiliar with. I assumed it was something with thread so I tried "temari knotwork" and it showed me the balls you were actually talking about. :agree: Maybe Google thinks I'm younger than I am. :dunno:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Google thinks everyone is into anime :lol: .

Face it, the young are the future, in marketing as in all else. We old farts aren't worth catering to, financially speaking.

Try googling "temari alhambra" (this is the one I really want to do, if I can just figure out all of the geometry, or if Diane Vandervoort will finally come out with her sixth book, which this picture is intended for) or "temari balls." The "balls" is redundant, since "temari" really does mean "hand ball," but it will put Google on the right track.

Margret

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been dreaming about cheesecake. I want to create a gluten free one.
Gluten free cheesecakes are SO easy to make :D I'm lazy and buy gluten free cookies for the base. Done like this, you don't even need a special gluten free recipe - a regular recipe will do ;)

margecat margecat - have you thought of trying Etsy for your jewellery? It might be worth looking into :dunno: From what I've seen, you might be able to get higher prices for it.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I did consider etsy; I guess I thought I wasn't pro enough to sell there! :lol:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Columbine Columbine Yes, I did the gluten free cookie thing to use when I make icebox fruitcake. I think for the cheesecake though I might find the gluten free graham crackers if I can. I think I would like that taste better for the cheesecake.