Whats my cats breed?

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Her adoption papers say oriental but she doesnt look like it. vet put down exotic
20210413_123228.jpg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a red broken (the interrupted stripes along the body) mackerel tabby domestic shorthair, to me :> most cats aren’t any specific breed, or a mix of breed, they’re just cats. Doesn’t make them any less special, though!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's gorgeous! :redheartpump:

I would describe your cat as a red mackerel tabby and white domestic shorthair. You can also describe her tabby pattern as "broken mackerel" since her stripes are partially broken up into spots. Most cats aren't any specific breed, and aren't mixed with any breeds, but that doesn't make them any less pretty or special!

She doesn't have the appearance of an Oriental or Exotic. Oriental would be more slender and leggy with a longer head, while the Exotic is a shorthaired Persian and would be more cobby in shape, with thicker leg boning, thicker tail, and a short rounded head.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thank you both!
ive considered her has a dsh orange tabby with white. dont know where they got oriental or exotic from :confused2:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
thank you both!
ive considered her has a dsh orange tabby with white. dont know where they got oriental or exotic from :confused2:
The vet prob saw the label oriental, but himself not knowing much about breeds nor their looks, did put down a synonyme; exotic is a sort of oriental, in the overall common language, no? :)

Its just among the cat fancy its two very specific labels...

But why the shelter wrote oriental I have no idea. THEY know at least somewhat about cat breeds, and she isnt not no look alike. However a sweet domestic she is.

But if you wish, you can always call her for a pure breed Roof cat.

Roof Cats - dachowiec - is moggies in polish... :) Yeah, it took me a time before I understood this what this label meant.

Ps. The little belly she has is the typical belly pouch. Not all cats have it, but its entirely natural, not meaning they are fat nor sick.
In nature its a good protection against getting the belly ripped open in a violent fight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my last cat (girl as well) had a pouch had one too. my male kitty does not have one. maybe its more common in girls?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
my last cat (girl as well) had a pouch had one too. my male kitty does not have one. maybe its more common in girls?
I think its more common in boys. But as you can witness, girls can have this too.